Making a Murderer -Steven Avery and

Socratus O' Pericles

.....and Brendan Dassey.

Ever since it debuted on Netflix on December 18th, Making A Murderer has been gathering more and more attention on a daily basis.

As petitions to re-open the trial come close to almost a quarter of a million signatures in the U.S. more and more stories are arriving in the public arena concerning this apparent miscarriage of Justice.

The gist of the story is that a man was considered guilty of a crime by the police, they needed a conviction and they bent the evidence to suit the outcome. Standard enough OP for police forces from there, here and throughout the world.

It is a fascinating show, in truth-well worth the watch.

I see on other threads various people have seen this and as well as being concerned about the issues involved are also impressed with the documentary maker's skills.

Today's update states that a juror found Avery guilty against their better judgement out of fear for their own physical safety.

[video]http://www.today.com/video/-making-a-murderer--creators--juror-recanted--guilty--decision-to-us-595996227518[/video]

Something is rotten in the state of Wisconsin?

gijoe

I've watched the first 5 episodes and some of it is really outstanding in terms of a travesty of justice. The Brendan Dassy 'confession' stuff was really out of this world.

At this stage of viewing it is pretty clear to me that even if Steven did kill her that the cops then went out of their way to plant evidence to make the case more solid, or alternatively to me it looks as if Dassey's brother is just as likely to be the killer as he seen her and he says he was going out hunting and of course the victim was shot in the head. Either way the conviction is 'unsafe' and clearly tainted by the local police. And I'm only 5 episodes in!

Armchair Activist

why did they choose Avery and Dassey? Where they already known to police?

gijoe

why did they choose Avery and Dassey? Where they already known to police?
Avery had previously served 18 years for a rape that he was proven by DNA to be innocent of and always claimed that the local cops had set him up for because of a previous confrontation he had with the wife of a local cop. He was suing them for damages at the time of the murder and the former police chief and DA were going to be personally on the line for some of the damages and just before they were to give evidence the murder occured!

D

Deleted member 34656

It is incredibly tedious and boring.

I've lost attention numerous times; if I was on the jury I'd have missed tons of point.

Also the idea that the cops murdered cut up and burned a random woman to fit guy up so he doesn't win some cash, is pure daft.

Dreadful rubbish.

Armchair Activist

Avery had previously served 18 years for a rape that he was proven by DNA to be innocent of and always claimed that the local cops had set him up for because of a previous confrontation he had with the wife of a local cop. He was suing them for damages at the time of the murder and the former police chief and DA were going to be personally on the line for some of the damages and just before they were to give evidence the murder occured!
so the local police had a personal vendetta against the man. Does this suggest the police organised the killing or was it opportunistic?

Betson

Have not got Netflix so have not seen any of it , but there has been a lot in the various media about it in the last few weeks, I see the prosecution are saying the show itself is a fit up with the makers leaving out a lot of the irrefutable evidence that was against Avery , whatever it seems that the conduct of the police and prosecution leave a lot be desired in this case.

gijoe

So I watched all 10 episodes. I understand from some online articles that the Prosecution says that the documentary left a lot out. But on the basis of what I saw I think he did it but I also think that the cops planted the key in his bedroom - the end result of which is that he should be freed on the basis of the conviction being 'unsafe' even though I think he did kill her. I think what has happened to the nephew is just an absolute travesty of justice.

D

Deleted member 34656

So I watched all 10 episodes. I understand from some online articles that the Prosecution says that the documentary left a lot out. But on the basis of what I saw I think he did it but I also think that the cops planted the key in his bedroom - the end result of which is that he should be freed on the basis of the conviction being 'unsafe' even though I think he did kill her. I think what has happened to the nephew is just an absolute travesty of justice.
That is completely illogical :roll:

If Steven did it then the nephew lied about what he did with his uncle that evening.

maxflinn

I've seen it all and I think either her boyfriend or the older Dassey brother did it. The main problem apart from the fact that it's clear the cops hung Avery out to dry is that no effort was made to look at anyone else so we'll probably never know who really did it.

Emily Davison

Would oh so love to take part in this thread, we are only at about episode 6 and it's gripping TV. Two more episodes tonight yipee. Should have it done and dusted by Monday. I haven't been this hooked since Breakin Bad or the Sopranos.

maxflinn

Also the idea that the cops murdered cut up and burned a random woman to fit guy up so he doesn't win some cash, is pure daft.

Dreadful rubbish.
I don't think anyone suggested that.

APettigrew92

They never seemed to explain anything of value. No motive, no blood placed at the scene, suspicious search warrants, the finding of the car. All seemed preposterous and difficult to substantiate.

Look at Lenk and Colbert in the witness stand. Lenk especially keeps blinking furiously during interrogation and Colbert lies a number of times outright.

The "confession" eked out of a 16 year old with learning disabilities was sick. The entire trial reeks of fraud. Even the Calumet county admitted that there were some oddities about the other officers being there. Direct conflict of interest.

If nothing else deserves a retrial.

APettigrew92

Dreadful rubbish.
The consensus seems to be that two of the cops aided in planting evidence. The real murderer could've been one of a number of people.

As for the "cash" he was looking for $36 million and he had probable cause to sue.

A lot of officers - specifically Lenk and Colbert - stood to lose their livelihoods, their standing in society and probably a lot more.

People have murdered for less.

dub14

Would oh so love to take part in this thread, we are only at about episode 6 and it's gripping TV. Two more episodes tonight yipee. Should have it done and dusted by Monday. I haven't been this hooked since Breakin Bad or the Sopranos.
5 down and 5 to go. I'll be done by some time on Sunday. Regardless of what happens from now on there are serious questions to be answered on the prosecution side and the way the kid was treated (ep 3 and 4) was shocking. Exploitation and manipulation and above all bloodly illegal ! If nothing else that lawyer should be disbarred for life.

At this stage I don't know who did it. The evidence against Avery is strong but even if he did it that shouldn't take away from the numerous dodgy incidents that took place in the investigation.

I haven't been this hooked on something since Narcos.

Finally what a stroke of luck by the filmers. I've resisted to the temptation to google it and find out how they came to be in the position to film all this as it happened over the duration of I don't know how many years. I'll look it up at the end but for the time being I don't want to spoil it

dub14

Very telling line in ep 3 "Poor people lose all the time". How true that is.

Popular Threads

Most Replies