Making cycling safer (Second Thread)

SPN

What you actually said:

The video is unavailable, but from the still and my knowledge of that junction, it is clear that the car driver is completely in the wrong.

View attachment 1055

It's not clear that 'the driver is completely in the wrong'.
Based on the position of the truck on the road in that still, I would not have driven into the crush zone.

Until we see the full video we cannot comment further.

Dadaist

Based on the position of the truck on the road in that still, I would not have driven into the crush zone.

Until we see the full video we cannot comment further.
We can further comment, but I agree leaving it at that.

brughahaha

Tell you what would make being a pedestrian safer ...cyclists having the legal requirement of bells on their bikes and using them to alert Pedestrians when they are overtaking you on shared paths.

silverharp

Tell you what would make being a pedestrian safer ...cyclists having the legal requirement of bells on their bikes and using them to alert Pedestrians when they are overtaking you on shared paths.
they do, it would help if bike shops actually had to sell bikes with bells, its not like you can sell a car without a horn

He3

Another cyclist died yesterday

'A cyclist has died in a road accident in Co. Limerick.

The traffic accident happened at Ballcullane in Kilmallock at around 8pm last night.

A man in his 40s riding his bike was involved in a collision with a car before being taken to Limerick University Hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

The driver of the car was uninjured.'

RIP

Cyclist dies in Limerick road accident | BreakingNews.ie

He3

Happy New Year to all road users

There is still room for improvement.

That’s good right?

Damian Downes (37) of Donomore Park, Tallaght, was found guilty of assaulting Stephen Brennan at Killiney Road, Firhouse, last March 6.

Mr Brennan said he was cycling to work at around the time of the heavy snow when he saw a large patch of ice on the road.

He said a car came up behind him at relative speed and he gestured to him to slow down.

He claimed the driver rolled down the window and screamed: "I'll run you off the f cking road, you c nt."

They both continued on their way, and when the car stopped at traffic lights, Mr Brennan pulled up alongside it to get the registration number.

He said the driver got out of the car, was very aggressive and punched him in the head.

Mr Brennan was wearing his helmet, so was uninjured, but was left in a "shocked" state.

Driver punched cyclist after row over icy road - Herald.ie

sic transit

Round tower

As pointed out on this thread the enforceability of it was always in question. Odd that Ross seemed to have a compromise one of dangerous overtaking in his back pocket.

Cyclists upset as planned overtaking rules abandoned
It would be hard to enforce, possibbly overtaking at a reasonable distance with taken into consideration, wind, speed limit and traffic, very disapointed having lost a life long friend who was killed while cycling on a straight stretch of road in June 017.

The difference is by bringing this in might affect his electorate in S. Dublin, where the punitive drink driving, speed, and unacomanied learner drivers wont affect his electorate. Where a case i heard of lately where a couple brought the car to town for a night out, got a taxi home, the following day at 4pm they went in the second car to collect the other car, on the way home the 2 was breathalyzed and failed.

recedite

As pointed out on this thread the enforceability of it was always in question.
Cyclists upset as planned overtaking rules abandoned
I would not agree. You could say the same about almost any law. Drink driving and speeding are measurable using instruments, it is true, but most laws are not.
This is a cop-out by the minister and it will result in more deaths. Many of the deaths on this thread could have been avoided if this law had been put in place earlier.

I know people who cycle in Spain (semi-retired with holiday house there) but never in Ireland.
The main reason is that Spanish drivers give cyclists such a wide berth when overtaking, and are generally courteous to cyclists. That is not because the Spaniards are naturally polite people, its because the Spanish police rigorously enforce the 1.5 metre minimum overtaking distance.

Their secondary reason for only cycling while in Spain is the weather!

Here's a list of countries that take the safety of cyclists seriously.

publicrealm

I cycle 90% of the time in Dublin city - have done for about 16 years.

cyclist safety would be greatly improved by a bit of common sense - such as having adequate lights and highviz in the dark and by observing the rules of the road and setting a good example. It’s a two-way street.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
The video is unavailable, but from the still and my knowledge of that junction, it is clear that the car driver is completely in the wrong. They drove into a space that the truck was turning into. All the driver's attention would have been on areas where a danger might come from. Some nupty driving into the crush zone would not have been something he would reasonably have expected.
The video is available again. The artic driver is clearly in the wrong. There is no way the car driver could have known the artic wanted to go left. Indicators automatically stay on until the requisite manouevre has been completed. It is as good as certain that the artic never put on the indicator. Even if he did, the rules of the road state that a driver must keep the indicator on until the relevant manouevre has been completed. Your insistence on blaming the accident on the car driver is making you look ridiculous. Not for the first time.

Shocking footage shows driver's lucky escape as it gets caught under lorry cutting lane in Dublin city centre - Dublin Live

SPN

The video is available again. The artic driver is clearly in the wrong. There is no way the car driver could have known the artic wanted to go left. Indicators automatically stay on until the requisite manouevre has been completed. It is as good as certain that the artic never put on the indicator. Even if he did, the rules of the road state that a driver must keep the indicator on until the relevant manouevre has been completed. Your insistence on blaming the accident on the car driver is making you look ridiculous. Not for the first time.
Until we see the full video, as in before the car went up the inside of the truck, we cannot make a definitive judgement.

Otherwise the points I made in post 419 stand.

I set out the scenario that was presented in the still photo.

I said clearly that I was setting out the scenario that was presented in the still photo.

Whenever I saw the video I set out the scenario that was presented in the video.

Whenever I see the full video I will set out the scenario that is presented in that.

My point 2 still stands.

]

There is one major piece of evidence - the car got squished whenever it was in the crush zone.

Based on what we can see, if I drove the car into that situation I would be disappointed with myself because I had not been paying sufficient attention.

The position of the rear wheels of the trailer tells you exactly the trajectory the truck was taking whenever it was setting up for the tight turn.

But, as I have repeatedly pointed out, we cannot say definitively what happened until we see the full video, not the edited video.

All we can say for sure, based on this edited video, is what I have set out in my three points above.

sic transit

I would not agree. You could say the same about almost any law. Drink driving and speeding are measurable using instruments, it is true, but most laws are not.
This is a cop-out by the minister and it will result in more deaths. Many of the deaths on this thread could have been avoided if this law had been put in place earlier.

I know people who cycle in Spain (semi-retired with holiday house there) but never in Ireland.
The main reason is that Spanish drivers give cyclists such a wide berth when overtaking, and are generally courteous to cyclists. That is not because the Spaniards are naturally polite people, its because the Spanish police rigorously enforce the 1.5 metre minimum overtaking distance.

Their secondary reason for only cycling while in Spain is the weather!

Here's a list of countries that take the safety of cyclists seriously.
It was AG advice that scuppered it not Ross.

sic transit

In terms of deaths and serious injuries it's primarily a one-way street, actually.
Sure but he's talking about general cyclist behaviour, which is still atrocious in some quarters in Ireland.

brughahaha

I cycle 90% of the time in Dublin city - have done for about 16 years.

cyclist safety would be greatly improved by a bit of common sense - such as having adequate lights and highviz in the dark and by observing the rules of the road and setting a good example. It’s a two-way street.
Likewise i commute both by car and bike. Im also regularly on the road between 10 p.m and midnight. usually in a car ...while not very scientific i always observe the various state of cyclist lighting on my late drives.

In total darkness About 30% have no lighting at all , nothing nada zilch usually compounded by dark clothing.About another 30% have totally inadequate lighting ,especially at the back ...single dim rear of front light ,but no high viz band jacket etc

About 40% have high viz and excellent lighting, both front and rear and clearly take using a bike very seriously.

There also seems to be a direct relationship between visibility and road skills/safe behaviour

Id say , night and day , most cyclists use a helmet , around 70% (I personally think getting on a bike without a helmet is an act of gross stupidity but then I know someone killed from cycling head injuries`)

When a car driver, I find , lack of any or adequate lighting (and as a Pedestrian Bells!) far far more irritating than the breaking of traffic lights .

SPN

Dedogs

90 hours community service for killing an innocent man!
Loads of people do that routinely anyway. Just being good citizens. (Tidy towns people etc..)
shes a woman and she killed a man.... she was never goin to jail for that.... other way round youd be lookin at 5 years....