Making Northern Ireland a part of Wales temporarily?

Deadlock

Northern Ireland is a tribal/sectarian bear pit and left to itself is unlikely to ever change till one tribe drives the other one out which is not something I would like to see. This is why power sharing is necessary in Northern Ireland. However power sharing isn't exactly working out now is it? I'm sure we could all argue till the cows come home about who is to blame for this but there is little point in doing so in my opinion due to the fact that more heat than light would inevitably be shed and we would soon get back to going over the Troubles.

Only by bringing NI (or the six counties that make it up) into a larger whole I think is capable of getting rid of retarding and dangerous elements of the situation. A united Ireland whatever can be said in its favour is opposed (and strongly opposed by many of them in the PUL camp) by a majority in Northern Ireland while as the CNR tribe is not going to accept after all that happened during the Troubles direct rule from Westminster.

The SNP want to stay as far away from Norn Iron issues as possible so making NI a part of Scotland in terms of government is out; so what about making it a part of Wales at least on a temporary basis?

Why does the OP hate the Welsh so much they would foist Norn Iron on them? This notion is almost as hateful and idiotic as any notion of Irish union.

NMunsterman

"Dimples 77" is the poster who admitted to cheering on as Nationalist civilians were burned out of their homes in Belfast by Unionist mobs.
That's not trolling - that's just pure skumbaggery.

GDPR

"Dimples 77" is the poster who admitted to cheering on as Nationalist civilians were burned out of their homes in Belfast by Unionist mobs.
That's not trolling - that's just pure skumbaggery.
Dimples77 thinks I'm some hardcore Celtic FC supporting 'Ra head because I attempt to be just and nuanced about the last Troubles. In his mind if you are not marching to the same drum as Cruimh you are a Fenian who probably deserves to be murdered if you get to mouthy. Sad case.

Last edited:
The SNP want to stay as far away from Norn Iron issues as possible so making NI a part of Scotland in terms of government is out; so what about making it a part of Wales at least on a temporary basis?
Lets see Wales has England next to them and yopu want to inflict NI on them ?

Haven't they suffered enough............

GDPR

OP you say the SNP don't want to go near NI, what makes you think Wales would want it?
I didn't say that they would fond of the idea did I? However the Welsh are a deeply Christian people. To be honest I think the best solution for Norn Iron would be to make me dictator however if wishes were fishes....As things stand at the moment the possibilities of that occurring are utterly slight. Can you think of any positive suggestions?

Strawberry

I didn't say that they would fond of the idea did I? However the Welsh are a deeply Christian people. To be honest I think the best solution for Norn Iron would be to make me dictator however if wishes were fishes....As things stand at the moment the possibilities of that occurring are utterly slight. Can you think of any positive suggestions?
Give it to China and we'll take Hong Kong in exchange. :)

Cai

The respective political cultures are very different I'm afraid. But Liverpool _ _ _.

Irish-Rationalist

Northern Ireland is a tribal/sectarian bear pit and left to itself is unlikely to ever change till one tribe drives the other one out which is not something I would like to see. This is why power sharing is necessary in Northern Ireland. However power sharing isn't exactly working out now is it? I'm sure we could all argue till the cows come home about who is to blame for this but there is little point in doing so in my opinion due to the fact that more heat than light would inevitably be shed and we would soon get back to going over the Troubles.

Only by bringing NI (or the six counties that make it up) into a larger whole I think is capable of getting rid of retarding and dangerous elements of the situation. A united Ireland whatever can be said in its favour is opposed (and strongly opposed by many of them in the PUL camp) by a majority in Northern Ireland while as the CNR tribe is not going to accept after all that happened during the Troubles direct rule from Westminster.

NI is where GB and Ireland overlap, but a definitive and distinct place apart from the RoI, Great Britain and indeed the rest of the world in general. Most NI residents are descended from an ancient alien sentient race called "Gobsh1tes". There are PUL Gobsh1tes, CNR Gobsh1tes, and of course the worst of the bunch; middle of the road, wishy-washy, Naomi Campbell worshipping, Alliance Party voting Gobsh1tes.

A peculiar union with Wales is not the way to go. A physical detachment of NI from the rest of Ireland is the first major step. Then send the 6 county colonette into deep space to physically re-join with planet Gobsh1te is the logical next step. That way we get the gobsh1tes out of Ireland, the UK and the world, the territorial and constitutional issues are simultaneously resolved, and planet Gobsh1te gets to host a major welcome party for its long lost kindred.

Win-win.

GDPR

The respective political cultures are very different I'm afraid. But Liverpool _ _ _.
That is the attraction of the idea. Liverpool though is a nicer suggestion than the West of Scotland.

between the bridges

FFs who let the riff raff in...

Strawberry

NI is where GB and Ireland overlap, but a definitive and distinct place apart from the RoI, Great Britain and indeed the rest of the world in general. Most NI residents are descended from an ancient alien sentient race called "Gobsh1tes". There are PUL Gobsh1tes, CNR Gobsh1tes, and of course the worst of the bunch; middle of the road, wishy-washy, Naomi Campbell worshipping, Alliance Party voting Gobsh1tes.

A peculiar union with Wales is not the way to go. A physical detachment of NI from the rest of Ireland is the first major step. Then send the 6 county colonette into deep space to physically re-join with planet Gobsh1te is the logical next step. That way we get the gobsh1tes out of Ireland, the UK and the world, the territorial and constitutional issues are simultaneously resolved, and planet Gobsh1te gets to host a major welcome party for its long lost kindred.

Win-win.
Are the Nordies big fans of the dusky super model then? I didn't know that.

Deadlock

Win-win.
Hear, hear.

Irish-Rationalist

Are the Nordies big fans of the dusky super model then? I didn't know that.
Oh bugger, did I do Miss Niamoer? Of course I meant to say "Niaomi Long", but because I've been drinking Mr J. Daniel's magic potion, my intoxicated little mind turned to someone abundantly more attractive. *hiccup*

blokesbloke

Then how do you propose to make it a workable solution?

You're saying Wales would just have to accept it whether they liked it or not.

That's not going to work.

Not sure if the Welsh are indeed a "deeply Christian people" but even if they are, it's a big ask.

It will just cause more tension.

What makes you think anyone in NI wants to be part of Wales either?

If nobody in either place wants it but you want to impose it on both, how would it help?

Incidentally, if you were made dictator of NI, what would you do which would solve all of its problems?

Deadlock

Ahh. So it's the 'Christian' thing to do.

Adherence to such ideologically trite cant and blind indifference to the effects it and the results of it engenders was the reason I ditched the God-squad at 15. None are so blind as those that will not see ...

Strawberry

Then how do propose to make it a workable solution?

Even worse, the Nordies might rub off on the Welsh and the next thing you know they'll be marching round the place shouting about some battle from 1174 and hanging flags off every lamp post. We don't need two Northern Irelands, we really don't.

GDPR

Then how do propose to make it a workable solution?

No let them have a vote on it in Wales- I think they would come around to accepting it out of Christian duty. The Welsh would also out number the Ulster folk and be able to bang some sense into them.

blokesbloke

No let them have a vote on it in Wales- I think they would come around to accepting it out of Christian duty. The Welsh would also out number the Ulster folk and be able to bang some sense into them.
OK, but even if this happened, and it seems very unlikely to me, how would it work?

Wales and NI are still on different islands. If you make it all one place presumably the Welsh will stay in Wales and the Northern Irish will stay in NI.

The whole might technically be Wales but in reality both places would remain seperate, so the fact there are more Welsh people would be irrelevant.

Any Welsh person who wishes to live in NI, and any NI person who wishes to live in Wales, can already do so, because they are both part of the the UK.

GDPR

Incidentally, if you were made dictator of NI, what would you do which would solve all of its problems?
Ban chipper food, teach people about proper diet and nutrition. Study how Taiwan built itself up with state capitalist methods and attempt to apply them to Northern Ireland. Make the study of Classical Philosophy and the higher Western musical tradition compulsory in schools- while encouraging people to engage with them elsewhere. Phase out corrosive American and other nihilistic cultural influences. Encourage a Pan-Celtic identity that transcends the tribal/sectarian divide.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies