Making Northern Ireland a part of Wales temporarily?

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
I'm sure he privately wishes that the Troubles were still raging- people though have to live in Norn Iron and at least a good proportion of them of both tribes deserve a lot better than what they are getting. "What about the 'Ra?" does not put shoes on kids' feet or help prevent suicide.

Not at all.

I'm glad that it's over and that the Irish Republicans were defeated.

PBP voter

Strawberry

Can't you just imagine Arlene whinging about the Welsh "curry my curmudgeon" when they spoke their native language in the assembly.
Thank would be real fun.
Not to mention all road signs having to be bilingual in Welsh and English.
This one will run, run, run ...
Even better they could have all the road signs bilingual in Welsh and Irish.

PBP voter

On 15 April 1851, theWrexham Advertiser carried a piece purporting to be a dialogue between a census enumerator and an Irish woman. She was portrayed as excessively fecund, monumentally stupid and very, very ‘Oirish’. The paper must have felt that the item would chime with its local readers’ experience of the migrants in their midst.
Irish Migrants in Modern Wales on JSTOR

PBP voter

However, the arrival of the Irish caused tensions between neighbours, and led to Cardiff's first race riot in 1848. Cardiff's very first policeman, Jeremiah Box Stockdale, found the dead body of Welshman Thomas Lewis in Cardiff's Irish quarter, which was the area around Stanley Street. He had been brutally stabbed by Irishman John Conners.

Prior to this, in some quarters there had long been a suspicion about the Irish - in earlier times there were rumours that the immigrant Irish sucked the blood of sheep, murdered children and ran "faster than any dog". In those days, Stanley Street was not a very inviting place - it wasn't uncommon for over 50 people to occupy a single room.

Catholic churches and homes were assaulted with some venom as Welsh mobs rampaged through these streets looking for John Conners.

In the end, he was arrested at Pontypridd, found guilty of manslaughter, and shipped off to Botany Bay in Australia.

At the funeral of the murdered man, Irish railway workers apparently lined these streets, armed with pickaxes, ready to protect the Irish population against any further Welsh reprisals.

BBC - Wales - History - Themes - Irish immigration

Irish-Rationalist

Not at all.

I'm glad that it's over and that the Irish Republicans were defeated.
You're partly governed by Irish Republicans. That's a major defeat for you, as a unionist.

between the bridges

Even better they could have all the road signs bilingual in Welsh and Irish.
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

St Marys

Sword of Gideon

The only reason I can see for this mad idea, is that if their was a referendum for a united Northern Ireland and Wales to leave the UK, the vote would be overwhelming in favour of staying in the UK..

hollandia

The only reason I can see for this mad idea, is that if their was a referendum for a united Northern Ireland and Wales to leave the UK, the vote would be overwhelming in favour of staying in the UK..

I dunno - if NI were foisted on Wales, I'd expect every red blooded welsh man and woman to tell Westminster to sling its hook.

PBP voter

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies