Male Circumcision, Should It Be Banned?

truthisfree

I'm starting this thread to prevent further derailing of Ger12s' thread on FGM. I personally as a Male think that FGM and MGM should be merged to be called CGM, Children's Genital Mutilation.

I had reason to research this subject in depth some years ago and came to the conclusion that MGM is not a good thing at all and should be outlawed except where it is a necessary medical procedure.

I'll add links to the OP on both sides of the debate as the evening goes on if there is a real interest in this subject.

Prevalence of circumcision

WHO estimated that globally one-third of males aged 15 years and over are circumcised, with almost 70% of those being Muslims.

Foreskin Restoration

Foreskin restoration is believed to work in several ways to improve sensitivity:
  1. After the glans penis is recovered, it stays moist. Moistness seems to improve sexual sensitivity. Some men report that the extra keratinization of the glans penis has peeled off as skin peels after a day at the beach.
  2. Foreskin restoration increases the skin mobility and gliding action. The increased mobility provides increased stimulation of the stretch receptors in the penile skin.
  3. Foreskin restoration may reduce premature ejaculation by protecting the corona of the glans penis from direct stimulation.

List of Court Settlements and Legal Victories Proving Harm of Circumcision

Male circumcision and sexual function in men and women: a survey-based, cross-sectional study in Denmark

Only 40% of Swedish Jews circumcise their newborn boys.

Last edited:

ger12

Surely consent is central to allowing male circumcision?

igCorcaigh

FGM is far more damaging AFAIK, not sure if it makes sense to merge the two.

Male circumcision is common in the US, anybody know why?

Johnny Zordan

In the Philippines boys are circumcised at age 12/13 by young female trainee nurses, I would have loved for a 20 year old Phillippineo female nurse to have circumcised me when I was 13, only problem is I would have had a massive erection

O

Oscurito

A little Science always helps....

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says the benefits of circumcision outweigh the risks. However, the AAP doesn't recommend routine circumcision for all male newborns. The AAP leaves the circumcision decision up to parents — and supports use of anesthetics for infants who have the procedure.
Circumcision (male) Why it's done - Mayo Clinic

There's no comparison with FGM and merging this thread with Ger's thread makes no sense. What. So. Ever.

ger12

Are there ethical considerations for doctors who perform circumcisions on babies where there is no medical need?

L'Chaim

Male Circumcision, Should It Be Banned? If your aim is to drive Jews and Muslims out then ban it

ger12

truthisfree

FGM is far more damaging AFAIK, not sure if it makes sense to merge the two.

Male circumcision is common in the US, anybody know why?
I completely agree that FGM is far more damaging, Male circumcision is far more common in the US, one of many references I came across to do with it that the foreskin is a particular form of skin, it can stretch ten times its area and was being harvested to use in plastic surgery. No not a way out there theory, I read medical references to it being used in this way, and there are a lot of circumcised men now regrowing their foreskin, if there is enough left, by stretching, and those who have done so report that they have better sex as a result.

truthisfree

A little Science always helps....

Circumcision (male) Why it's done - Mayo Clinic

There's no comparison with FGM and merging this thread with Ger's thread makes no sense. What. So. Ever.
A little text always helps, Mayo clinic does not mention desensitisation, and the vacuum effect caused by a circumcised penis causing lubrication to be drawn out of the vagina leading to dryness and friction.

The System Works

Website
www.thesystemworks.wordpress.com
Twitter
@mendingtheworld
Surely consent is central to allowing male circumcision?
Not necessarily. Banning it for infants would compel many to go through the procedure as adults when it is more difficult and when the healing time is longer. That would generate serious resentment among many, as well as a feeling of being deprived of a birthright. Speak to Jews who were born in the Soviet Union and who had to get their bris later - because brit milah was forbidden by the Communists - and you will see what I mean.

ger12

Circumcision is painful and traumatic and has serious risks. Why do doctors perform them on children?

tsarbomb

Over the long term it decreases sexual sensitivity by removing the protection of the glans. Performing this mutilation on kids should be banned. If an adult wants to get it done done then let them, but parents should not be allowed to carry out this nasty act on kids.

Polly Ticks

Whether performed on males or females, it's some power trip all the same, isn't it?

bring a life into the world and then assert your authority and the primacy of your 'values' by physically assaulting your offspring.

GDPR

Whether performed on males or females, it's some power trip all the same, isn't it?

bring a life into the world and then assert your authority and the primacy of your 'values' by physically assaulting your offspring.

And the 8th Amendment allows the
physical assault of grown women and citizens of the state.

Bullies always like to say someone else is a bully too.

Male Circumcision, Should It Be Banned? If your aim is to drive Jews and Muslims out then ban it
That is not the aim at all. Your "If" is a conditional too far.

What, precisely, is the aim of circumcision? Please don't provide ex post facto crap. Tell us the aim.

It seems rum to me that the Abrhamic idea that humans were created in God's image can yet justify setting about the newboard with all mannerss of attack including - in some of the more extreme Orthdox sects - teeth.

igCorcaigh

Not quite the same though, FGM stems from a violent form of sexism that I find far more dangerous.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies