• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Male Genital Mutilation

Hillmanhunter1

Male Genital Mutilation (i.e. circumcision) is quite different to Female Genital Mutilation insofar as it involves the removal of just a relatively small piece of skin.

There is however absolutely no justification for it (except in limited circumstances Phimosis - Wikipedia)

Why is it that most Muslims, Jews, and so many Americans think that it is acceptable to mutilate baby boys?

1280px-Global_Map_of_Male_Circumcision_Prevalence_at_Country.svg.png

Pabilito

Good question, I often wondered about that.

I recall a school classmate who for some reason was circumcised once proudly telling the class that because of it he could masturbate without touching himself.

Dame_Enda

I personally consider it to be mutilation unless carried out for health reasons. But I also believe it is so widespread among Muslims, Jews and Americans that if you outlaw it, there will be tragedies because it will be driven underground. There was a case of a Nigerian doctor in Ireland some years ago where a botched circumcision resulted in a boy dying and he was tried and acquitted for "reckless endangerment" after a strongly word direction to the jury by the judge which more or less argued against what the judge called "white western liberal" influences on the case. (NB the "Ws" below appear when I link to wikipedia and are not typo-errors).

The vast majority of American males are circumcised, but it is certainly in decline there. As for why its so common there: Its possible in part because America has the world's largest Jewish population, and they are prominent in medicine and in advocating for the supposed health benefits. And to be fair, there is some evidence circumcised males have less exposure to HIV transmission. The percentage of newborn males circumcised was 56% in 2009.

I would add that circumcision only became widespread in the US among Christians because of a moral panic over masturbation in the late 1800s, at a time of the "Great Awakening" religious revival movement. :sneaky: I would also point out that there is an East-West divide on circumcision, with just 20-30% in the west having it done, compared to 50-60% in the South, 60-70% in the northeast (where most Jews live), and 70-80% in the midwest.

History of male circumcision - Wikipedia

In the 1890s, it became a popular technique to prevent, or cure, masturbatory insanity. In 1891 the president of the Royal College of Surgeons of England published On Circumcision as Preventive of Masturbation, and two years later another British doctor wrote Circumcision: Its Advantages and How to Perform It, which listed the reasons for removing the "vestigial" prepuce. Evidently the foreskin could cause "nocturnal incontinence," hysteria, epilepsy, and irritation that might "give rise to erotic stimulation and, consequently, masturbation." Another physician, P.C. Remondino, added that "circumcision is like a substantial and well-secured life annuity ... it insures better health, greater capacity for labor, longer life, less nervousness, sickness, loss of time, and less doctor bills." No wonder it became a popular remedy.[58].......
One of the leading advocates of circumcision was John Harvey Kellogg. He advocated the consumption of Kellogg's corn flakes to prevent masturbation, and he believed that circumcision would be an effective way to eliminate masturbation in males.

Covering the organs with a cage has been practiced with entire success. A remedy which is almost always successful in small boys is circumcision, especially when there is any degree of phimosis. The operation should be performed by a surgeon without administering an anesthetic, as the brief pain attending the operation will have a salutary effect upon the mind, especially if it be connected with the idea of punishment, as it may well be in some cases. The soreness which continues for several weeks interrupts the practice, and if it had not previously become too firmly fixed, it may be forgotten and not resumed. If any attempt is made to watch the child, he should be so carefully surrounded by vigilance that he cannot possibly transgress without detection. If he is only partially watched, he soon learns to elude observation, and thus the effect is only to make him cunning in his vice.
Prevalence of circumcision - Wikipedia

Last edited:

recedite

"He advocated the consumption of Kellogg's corn flakes to prevent masturbation, and he believed that circumcision would be an effective way to eliminate masturbation in males."

Would eating the cornflakes be sufficient, without resorting to full circumcision?
How many bowls per day, I wonder.

Hillmanhunter1

Not being a particularly religious person, what exactly is the religious argument?

Is it just that the Skyman told us to do this?

Dame_Enda

Not being a particularly religious person, what exactly is the religious argument?

Jews regard it as part of the Abrahamic Covenant. The Koran doesnt mention it, but the Hadiths (teachings of Islamic scholars) do, with some saying its recommended, and others saying its obligatory.

Religious male circumcision - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Funny how the first mention of the Abraham character common to arabic/judaic/christian beliefs has him awaking from a vision, amid the bones of animal sacrifices.

Weird if it turns out that humans of various sensibilities have been mutilating their children out of ritual cult behaviour for thousands of years just because some ol' boy in the middle eastern had been munching on the mushrooms.

Lagertha

I personally consider it to be mutilation unless carried out for health reasons. But I also believe it is so widespread among Muslims, Jews and Americans that if you outlaw it, there will be tragedies because it will be driven underground. There was a case of a Nigerian doctor in Ireland some years ago where a botched circumcision resulted in a boy dying and he was tried and acquitted for "reckless endangerment" after a strongly word direction to the jury by the judge which more or less argued against what the judge called "white western liberal" influences on the case. (NB the "Ws" below appear when I link to wikipedia and are not typo-errors).

The vast majority of American males are circumcised, but it is certainly in decline there. As for why its so common there: Its possible in part because America has the world's largest Jewish population, and they are prominent in medicine and in advocating for the supposed health benefits. And to be fair, there is some evidence circumcised males have less exposure to HIV transmission. The percentage of newborn males circumcised was 56% in 2009.

I would add that circumcision only became widespread in the US among Christians because of a moral panic over masturbation in the late 1800s, at a time of the "Great Awakening" religious revival movement. :sneaky: I would also point out that there is an East-West divide on circumcision, with just 20-30% in the west having it done, compared to 50-60% in the South, 60-70% in the northeast (where most Jews live), and 70-80% in the midwest.

History of male circumcision - Wikipedia

Prevalence of circumcision - Wikipedia
As far as I recall the Nigerian guy wasn't a doctor, merely a guy who claimed to be a doctor, but perhaps I'm confusing him with the other Nigerian guy who wasn't a doctor but butchered a child in a botched home circumcision, sadly I think there's going to be more of these incidents. I don't agree with circumcision of any child unless it is for medical reasons.

Johnny Zordan

For Muslims it's so that the penis will be completely clean in mosque, if you are uncut, the chances are, you are going to have some piss under the foreskin sometimes and it's forbidden to have any dirt on the body while in mosque.

willow68

Ridiculous superstition nonsense..I would have eaten alive anyone who suggested having my baby hurt in that way when he was born. However, later on he did develop phimosis and a small operation helped him. This should be thw norm. Medical intervention only when it is needed. Anything else is barbarism. And do not start me on fgm.

Popular Threads

Most Replies