• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Man awarded €24k for discrimination as Credit Union offers a depressing insight into the mentality of an Irish company

Sync

Man awarded €24k for discrimination as Credit Union offers a depressing insight into the mentality of an Irish company

Just an utterly depressing story as a man was awarded €24k for suffering homophobic taunting in his Credit Union workplace. It was broken down as €8k for the discrimination and €16k for victimisation.

A few examples of what he went through:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/credit-union-worker-gets-24000-for-homophobic-taunts-in-office-3362560.html

• Comment on his sexuality and dress sense
  • Suggestion he was in a gay relationship with a coworker.
  • An AM mocking his "camp" accent and telling other staff not to contact him for IT issues
  • As a group mocking him about his sexuality
  • One man saying: "I had better not be left alone in a room with him. I hope it's not contagious."
  • Another man referring to him as "one of them, a queer, like".
  • A woman constantly calling him "one of the girls"
  • Another man making comments like "Do you like taking it up the back passage?"

When he reported it to management they did absolutely nothing.

Now...IT'S 2013. I can't understand one person in a workplace acting like this, let alone a company allowing an atmosphere where both staff and management felt comfortable acting like this.

Is this just a case that the Credit Union need to take urgent steps in terms of educating it's staff on working in a modern workplace or is this sort of thing happening in other Irish companies? This is genuinely appalling.

Aindriu

It just goes to show how many far right wing Neanderthals we still have in this country.

Ruff says Flaherty

I wouldn't by any means say that this is an insight into the mentality of Irish companies in the norm.

Ruff says Flaherty

Also I wonder were the staff disciplined? Sounds like small village ignorance to me, which is a concern. "Gays" and "foreigners" being the the usual fodder for narrow minded idiots who have never been further than their county boundary.

Bobcolebrooke

Just an utterly depressing story as a man was awarded €24k for suffering homophobic taunting in his Credit Union workplace. It was broken down as €8k for the discrimination and €16k for victimisation.

Credit union worker gets €24,000 for homophobic taunts in office - Courts, National News - Independent.ie

• An AM mocking his "camp" accent and telling other staff not to contact him for IT issues
  • One man saying: "I had better not be left alone in a room with him. I hope it's not contagious."

Now...IT'S 2013. I can't understand one person in a workplace acting like this, let alone a company allowing an atmosphere where both staff and management felt comfortable acting like this.

Is this just a case that the Credit Union need to take urgent steps in terms of educating it's staff on working in a modern workplace or is this sort of thing happening in other Irish companies? This is genuinely appalling.
The award was far too small!

€240K would have sent out a much stronger message!

Crazy horse 6

I wouldn't by any means say that this is an insight into the mentality of Irish companies in the norm.
I'd say it's par for the course tbh. We are'nt the open liberal society we portray to the world. In many ways Ireland is as backward as it has ever been.

Ribeye

Credit union worker gets €24,000 for homophobic taunts in office - Courts, National News - Independent.ie

Mmmm, at the risk of having you lose the head with me.....

I can't see any evidence as to how the guy was discriminated against, victimised & bullied, perhaps, discriminated, no,

I therefore don't see how it is any of the Equality Authority's beeswax,

Btw - what in the name of cats is an Equality Officer, and do they have judicial powers?

I also smell a laptop shaped rat!

Sync

The award was far too small!

€240K would have sent out a much stronger message!
If the CU don't run regular mandatory diversity training then I'd very much agree,

Goa Tse

I doubt the management or staff were disciplined at all.

I'd say the man in question might have to leave his job, and the knuckledraggers, both male & female, who taunted him will be still getting paid, while slapping each other on the back in the local later on: "Bejasus Mossie, at least we doin't have dat queeeor fella workin' heeor anymore" or some similar rubbish.

Depressing and shameful behaviour.

SeanieFitz

"Management" deserves to be disciplined, cannot believe that they did not act on complaint.

Sync

Mmmm, at the risk of having you lose the head with me.....

I can't see any evidence as to how the guy was discriminated against, victimised & bullied, perhaps, discriminated, no,

I therefore don't see how it is any of the Equality Authority's beeswax,

Btw - what in the name of cats is an Equality Officer, and do they have judicial powers?

I also smell a laptop shaped rat!
His AM's behaviour, telling other staff not to allow the man do his job would certainly count as discrimination. And of course victimisation and bullying due to sexuality/ race etc fall under the equality officers banner.

controller

He said he made a formal complaint but there was no investigation, and he got a letter to say there were not sufficient grounds to back up his grievance.

Well, there must have been some sort of investigation, if he got a letter back that there were not sufficient grounds to back up his grievance

So for you to say that they did nothing is false. They clearly did not enough, but that is another matter

Ribeye

His AM's behaviour, telling other staff not to allow the man do his job would certainly count as discrimination. And of course victimisation and bullying due to sexuality/ race etc fall under the equality officers banner.
Mmmmm,

To be precise, the article does not state the the AM told the staff not to contact the guy because he was gay, it just says that he told them not to contact him, he may have made the "camp voice" remark on a totally separate occasion,

The guy may have just been rubbish at IT, like me:)

So if I'm bully by a group of women in work, because im a bloke, can I take a case to the EA?

What if they bullied me coz they just didn't like me, which is quite possible:), where do I go than?

And the rat smell is getting stronger, who the hell think that an administrator would get a laptop as a Xmas bonus?

I have reservations about this, looks like more taxpayers money thrown away,

(now that, will defo make ye angry):)

bob3367

Disgraceful, the line about management doing nothing is no surprise, management pf credit unions rarely do anything anyway.

As for the boards, the usual local gombeens who frankly, in most cases, are not fit for purpose in any aspect of financial management.

On the broader issue of gay people I have worked with a few, one was very camp, but brilliant at his job, another was our HR Director, she was the most kind and considerate person in that position that I have ever met, door was always open and she genuinely was there to help anyone who needed it.

Didnt M&S give an extra 5% discount to gay employees and partners, nothing about being nice, but a study showed that gay people had a higher disposable income, and a higher propensity to spend.

Finally €24k was not near enough compensation for the harm inflicted on that man.

bob3367

Mmmmm,

To be precise, the article does not state the the AM told the staff not to contact the guy because he was gay, it just says that he told them not to contact him, he may have made the "camp voice" remark on a totally separate occasion,

The guy may have just been rubbish at IT, like me:)

So if I'm bully by a group of women in work, because im a bloke, can I take a case to the EA?

What if they bullied me coz they just didn't like me, which is quite possible:), where do I go than?

And the rat smell is getting stronger, who the hell think that an administrator would get a laptop as a Xmas bonus?

I have reservations about this, looks like more taxpayers money thrown away,

(now that, will defo make ye angry):)
What waste of taxpayers money?

willow68

Fair play to him, at least he brought this issue into the public eye - though I'd say 24k is far too little for his livelihood. Unfortunately, bullying and homophobia are still so incredibly widespread. Try living as a gay teenager in a rural Kerry town - you'll learn all you'll ever need to about the human race as a whole.

controller

Didnt M&S give an extra 5% discount to gay employees and partners, nothing about being nice, but a study showed that gay people had a higher disposable income, and a higher propensity to spend.
If they gave that discount to straight employees only, would you be shouting discrimination??