Man jailed for 46 days for not paying fine on litter.

Was listening to Joe Duffy today when a mother rang in to say how her son had been jailed for 46 days for non payment of a litter fine.

For anyone who wants to try and listen to the podcast the call was made around 2.40pm today 13/10/10. EDIT: Here is the link

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-r1-liveline.smil

Scroll it across to the time of 1.03.38 for the part

From what I understand of the call it appears the man had lost his job as a plumber and was unemployed but was attending college.

He had previously gone to a recycling centre and recycled some glass bottles and left the cardboard box behind. CCTV caught him leaving the box and recorded his number plate.

As I understand it he received the fine of €150, and for what ever reason it had now amounted to over €2,000.

The mother and her son and wrote to the Department of Justice asking for a reduction in the fine or to be able to pay be instalments, however no reply was received and despite numerous telephone calls still there was no response.

Today the Gardai arrived and arrested the man and took him to prision.

Now I have to say the lad was foolish no ignore the origional fine of €150 and allow it to mount up to over €2,000. However this once again highlights the unfairness of our laws where someone can be jailed for leaving a cardbox box at a recycling centre and yet people who have put this country into a mess are allowed to walk around free as a bird.

How mucgh will the jailing of this man cost the taxpayer?

Its time our laws were relooked at, why couldnt the court simply be allowed to deduct weekly payments of €5 from his unemployment benefits instead of allowing the fine to mount up and then jailing him?

Last edited:

Down to our lazy government again.

Electronic tagging has been a viable option for years but nothing has been done. Similarly there are a huge number of other options that are fairer, more effective and better use of taxpayers money.

Why can't people have their passport withdrawn or social welfare garnished (by a small amount) or tax relief removed?

Sync

(Assuming everything said on the radio is true)

I'd agree. I'm not sure why you'd make a custodial order in a case like that. Put him to work on community service, make deductions from his welfare.

There seems to be a big jump from letters to a sentence of 46 days? Wouldn't there have been a point where he faced a judge?

Hewson

Yeah, I think tagging is an excellent idea. For too long criminals have been stealing with impunity, cocking a snoot at the law and laughing at the law-abiding majority. I don't think there's a single person in the country who hasn't been affected by their activities, had their lives ruined and sleep disrupted, worrying about whether they'll be next.

I'm all for tagging bankers.

Biffomania

Was listening to Joe Duffy today when a mother rang in to say how her son had been jailed for 46 days for non payment of a litter fine.

For anyone who wants to try and listen to the podcast the call was made around 2.40pm today 13/10/10.

From what I understand of the call it appears the man had lost his job as a plumber and was unemployed but was attending college.

He had previously gone to a recycling centre and recycled some glass bottles and left the cardboard box behind. CCTV caught him leaving the box and recorded his number plate.

As I understand it he received the fine of €150, and for what ever reason it had now amounted to over €2,000.

The mother and her son and wrote to the Department of Justice asking for a reduction in the fine or to be able to pay be instalments, however no reply was received and despite numerous telephone calls still there was no response.

Today the Gardai arrived and arrested the man and took him to prision.

Now I have to say the lad was foolish no ignore the origional fine of €150 and allow it to mount up to over €2,000. However this once again highlights the unfairness of our laws where someone can be jailed for leaving a cardbox box at a recycling centre and yet people who have put this country into a mess are allowed to walk around free as a bird.

How mucgh will the jailing of this man cost the taxpayer?

Its time our laws were relooked at, why couldnt the court simply be allowed to deduct weekly payments of €5 from his unemployment benefits instead of allowing the fine to mount up and then jailing him?
If only he'd left a few Euro in it for a previous Taoiseach the sucker would probably be a senator or a semi-state CEO right now. He deserves everything he gets for not having enough shekels or political clout to get him in with the right cute hoors before he got into this jam- don't the dogs in the street know that's how things work in this great little country.

Rural

I don't agree that anyone who is not a danger to society should get a jail sentence. some hours of community work should be the option.

BUT - people dumpung around at bottle banks is a disgusting habit. We have one in the village here (with no CCTV), boxes, bags, broken cooker hobs, electric heaters etc.

I know it was only one box, but why not bring it home.

Anyway, Talk To Joe will get him out.

Pauli

If only he'd left a few Euro in it for a previous Taoiseach the sucker would probably be a senator or a semi-state CEO right now. He deserves everything he gets for not having enough shekels or political clout to get him in with the right cute hoors before he got into this jam- don't the dogs in the street know that's how things work in this great little country.
Of course they do - you don't see dogs in court getting fined for fouling the pavement. Cute hoors!

Twin Towers

I believe that particular story was aired on the radio about two years ago with the man explaining that he had used the cardboard box to carry the bottles to the recycle bin and then had nowhere to put the box except on the ground.

king5494

Our prisons are full to the brim so they must have let a real criminal out to put him in.

What a joke, the Councils will do anything to raise revenue.

B

boo-boo

Well, in fairness the guy did try to come to some sort of arrangement with the Dept of Justice....

Maybe, the question that needs to be asked from our Minister is why Officials in his Department or even himself for that matter, dont seem to have the basic common decency to even reply to letters from member's of the public, or to facilitate some kind of arrangement or payment plan, so people are not brought to jail? And why do Officials give contradictory information - two Officials said there was a serious back log they had to deal with and then the third official obviously let it slip....what backlog!

How many Garda hours are taken up by taking people with following up on unpaid fines and taking them to jail - that's another question that Dermi might like to answer?

Barnacle

The on the spot fine is €150 and I was under the impression that this can only be exceeded if convicted of the offence by the District Court. So I would guess that he would have been summonsed for non compliance of a District Court Judgement.

Still makes no sense to give a 46 sentence.

acme

jail... for leaving a cardboard box at a recycling center.

But surely they recycle cardboard boxes there anyway.
Is it a jobs worth in the center spending time looking up CCTV,
instead of..... well... recycling.

I never heard the likes....
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8DtpdXZi0M"]Arlo Guthrie/Alice's Restaurant[/ame]

The madness of this is the fact the guy was unemployed, thanks to the state and banks.

So the state pays him unemployment, he commits an offence so the states wants him to give them some of the states money back, he fails to do this so the state then send him to jail using more of the states money, he can obviousy now claim legal aid using more of the states money.

I think the state needs to have its head looked at.

borntorum

I'm somewhat dubious about this story. How did a €100 fine become €2000? Fines don't increase merely by the passage of time. Someone who didn't pay a €100 fine would be sentenced to about 6 days in prison, certainly nothing like 46. And in reality, the prison authorities don't keep people in jail for anything like what they are sentenced to for fine offences. Usually they just process them and then let them go.

Finally, people are always given time to pay a fine, usually months if it's in any way significant. Of course, the courts should be able to dock social welfare but that's not possible as of now.

controller

It a good job he didn't owe €145m, or god knows just how long he would have got in jail. Oh I just figured it out, 119178 years. Yup..........he was lucky

Pauli

The madness of this is the fact the guy was unemployed, thanks to the state and banks.

So the state pays him unemployment, he commits an offence so the states wants him to give them some of the states money back, he fails to do this so the state then send him to jail using more of the states money, he can obviousy now claim legal aid using more of the states money.

I think the state needs to have its head looked at.
No wonder the state is in the state it's in.

thunderball

I'm somewhat dubious about this story. How did a €100 fine become €2000?
very easily, I know of someone that got themselves into a similar mess. Receiving the initial fine of €130, they queried it (foolishly) and were told to wait for an answer. They got the answer about 2 months later of an increased fine, this time about €1200. Not being able to pay the first one they definately cannot pay the increased one. Don't know how it finished.

Seems a bit cheeky to put a recycling bank bank and no bin to deposit either a plastic bag or a small often smelly wet cardboard box. I totally agree they shouldn't have left it there in the first place but it is asking for trouble.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies