• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Man kills woman in crash, has no memory, jailed for 2 years for probably falling asleep

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The man pleaded guilty himself

Man given two-year sentence for fatal crash - RTÉ News
The court was told that Garda experts had concluded that driver fatigue was the most likely cause of the accident.
He told gardaí he had four hours sleep the night before but this was not unusual for him and he did not feel tired on the day.

He had been to the gym the previous evening, had gone to bed after 12am and got up at 5 am and went back to the gym for a spinning class. The accident happened just after 12.30pm later that day.
Driver who killed mother, injured baby is jailed for two years

Handley initially took a trial date while awaiting medical reports. He entered a guilty plea on the morning of his trial.
Judge Patrick McCartan refused a defence plea for a suspended sentence. ..
He said he was imposing the two year sentence “to send out the clear message to the community that fatigue must be a phenomenon in the minds of all drivers.”
Driving while knowingly impaired, or reckless as to whether you are impaired, is rightfully a matter for criminal sanction, however I don't see such disregard from Handley. Some people genuinely survive just fine on 4 or 5 hours sleep per night

1) His plea of guilty was mistaken in my book
2) Judge Patrick McCartan is an asshóle, society is not well served by this exemplary sentence

cYp

realistic1

Totally agree with the above thread. While a sanction was appropriate this is a excessive sentence. There is plenty of recidivist dangerous crims that will be probably freed so this law abiding citizen can be incarcerated.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Seems like an excessive and vengeful sentence.

A ten year driving ban, also.

gatsbygirl20

It's a hard one to call--the loss of a young mother and the terrible injury to her baby....

Yet, I felt sorry for the man. He had taken no alcohol. He fell asleep momentarily with terrible results.

Even with proper sleep, I find driving long distances after say, a heavy lunch, can cause me to struggle. I pull into a lay by and take a ten minutes nap, it makes all the difference

But the second between being awake and being asleep is terribly hard to judge. Shift workers all over the country come off night duty at 8 am and drive over quiet country roads every morning, hoping that the radio and a cup of coffee will see them home safely..

There but for the grace of God....

Socratus O' Pericles

I remember when Pat Mc Cartan was a sticky.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
Seems like an excessive and vengeful sentence.

A ten year driving ban, also.
Are you serious?

Do you think we should care whether it was a gun or a car that killed a young mother and caused serious injury to a baby? The scars of which she will probably have to live with all her life.

The sooner drivers realise that a car or any vehicle has the potential to be a serious weapon if not properly controlled, the better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 34656

Are you serious?

Do you think we should care whether it was a gun or a car that killed a young mother and caused serious injury to a baby? The scars of which she will probably have to live with all her life.

The sooner drivers realise that a car or any vehicle has the potential to be a serious weapon if not properly controlled, the better.
I know someone who fell asleep at the wheel once, I woke him up before he killed anyone, luckily.

What should I do?

Niall996

Are you serious?

The guy made an error. For all we know he might never have committed a crime in his life. He could be the most decent person you have ever met. And he made a critical error. It was a tragic accident. Something he will have to live with forever. Sending him to jail is just an obscenity. That judge is an utter gob************************e.

Gin Soaked

I agree with GatsbyGirl on this one.

This sentence should give us all pause, and should drive home the message that you have responsibility here to stop and sleep. But, to make that possible we need way, way more rest stops on motorways than we have, and they need to be just off the road, like in every other civilized country. If you feel tired, you should only ever be 10 mins from a cup of coffee and a safe place to kip, so you have NO NEED to push yourself.

I used to arrive back from long trips of 4 hrs or more, and I'd be shattered, I do less long distance stuff now, but still I find it tiring.

I have some reservations as to how they will prove the aggravating factors in future here. It will not always be clear that someone did not have enough sleep.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
The guy made an error. For all we know he might never have committed a crime in his life. He could be the most decent person you have ever met. And he made a critical error. It was a tragic accident. Something he will have to live with forever. Sending him to jail is just an obscenity. That judge is an utter gob************************e.
Well, errors do have consequences. His lifestyle - his decision.

He did kill somebody.

Last edited:

gatsbygirl20

Well, errors do have consequences. His lifestyle - his decision.
But being suddenly overcome with fatigue while driving is not a lifestyle choice.

It can happen to any one of us. It happens suddenly. You don't get much warning.

Even if you have slept eight hours certain things can trigger it--a rich lunch, driving long distance, a straight monotonous road, low blood sugar because of lack of food...broken sleep because you are a parent of a young baby.

Coming off night duty is particularly dangerous--yet what are workers to do? Many have to drive in rural Ireland where there is no public transport and where the roads are narrow and winding with no verge

Should they ask their boss for the price of an hotel?

Should they pull into a shopping centre car park, sleep for the day, pay parking charges, and return to work without a shower?

Some night-shift workers need to be home to take the kids to school, so their spouse can go to work.

Lots of parents and workers in this mad society are working like slaves, trying to rear kids, trying to pay the mortgage, trying to not go crazy.

They're all sleep-deprived.

If they live away from urban centres and if they want to hold down a job, they have to drive:---often long distances

D

Deleted member 34656

But being suddenly overcome with fatigue while driving is not a lifestyle choice.

It can happen to any one of us. It happens suddenly. You don't get much warning.

Even if you have slept eight hours certain things can trigger it--a rich lunch, driving long distance, a straight monotonous road, low blood sugar because of lack of food...broken sleep because you are a parent of a young baby.

Coming off night duty is particularly dangerous--yet what are workers to do? Many have to drive in rural Ireland where there is no public transport and where the roads are narrow and winding with no verge

Should they pull into a shopping centre car park, sleep for the day, pay parking charges, and return to work without a shower?

Some night-shift workers need to be home to take the kids to school, so their spouse can go to work.

Lots of parents and workers in this mad society are working like slaves, trying to rear kids, trying to pay the mortgage, trying to not go crazy.

If they live away from urban centres and if they want to hold down a job, they have to drive:---often long distances
Everything you described is a 'lifestyle choice'.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates

Yes ... all very well. Again, I have to say: HE KILLED A PERSON. End of ...

Sorry for him, and the family left devastated, but ...

Does it really matter what sob-story you have if you KILL somebody?

What do you think is a fitting sentence for taking another person's life?

Sexual Harassment Panda

Are you serious?

LOL yeah? We send people to jail to protect society from their behaviour. Who's being protected by this man being in jail over this? Do you believe he is plotting to fall asleep at the wheel again? Do you believe this man to be a danger to other people and if not, then what justification is there for a custodial sentence.

Take him off the road indefinitely sure, but nobody is being served by him being in prison.

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
LOL yeah? We send people to jail to protect society from their behaviour. Who's being protected by this man being in jail over this? Do you believe he is plotting to fall asleep at the wheel again? Do you believe this man to be a danger to other people and if not, then what justification is there for a custodial sentence.

Take him off the road indefinitely sure, but nobody is being served by him being in prison.
Exactly.

Sexual Harassment Panda

Yes ... all very well. Again, I have to say: HE KILLED A PERSON. End of ...

Sorry for him, and the family left devastated, but ...

Does it really matter what sob-story you have if you KILL somebody?

What do you think is a fitting sentence for taking another person's life?
Jesus, you'd swear he killed YOUR mother!

Sexual Harassment Panda

So a driving ban. No need for a custodial sentence. Glad you seen sense and realized you were entirely wrong about everything. This has been very productive. Thanks.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies