Man who said homosexuality and abortion are evil loses discrimination case

lilesosanne

Website
jobpathmyexperienceoftheemploymentandskillsprogram.wordpress.com
Twitter
@lilesosanne
Of course it's about JobPath and Seetec !

A leaving certificate is all that is needed to be a Personal Employment Advisors for Seetec. The PEA manages a large caseload of people with a wide variety of work, social, health etc, needs on JobPath, to find work.

Gordon Deegan writes in The Irish Times; Mr Savage’s who is a Jobpath participant was seeking his Personal Employment Advisors input on a CV that he was submitted for a vacancy in a healthcare firm. Like most applications he had a Key Achievements section on his CV.
Mr Savage wrote: “Standing up for and defending my religious beliefs which include that abortion on demand is evil and homosexuality is an intrinsic disorder inclined towards evil”.

Mr Savage claimed that on reading the section, his Personal Employment Advisor at Seetec Employment And Skills Ireland said “you can’t say that, employers are biased”, which is when Mr Savage alleged the discrimination occurred.

Should Personal Employment Advisors be career guidance professionals, or is a leaving certificate enough?

While Mr Savage lost his case this does bring to the fore the question of the abilities of the PEA's - again.

Those of you who have read my blog may have read the bit about the qualifications and experience needed to be a PEA.
While Seetec deny the comment in this case by the PEA, it is my personal experience that my PEA has said some, not thought out and badly worded, things to me; I've put it down to his inexperience and lack of skills, other may not be so kind.

EDIT
Mr Mark Savage is no virgin to the court system, he has taken several cases around discrimination.

Last edited:

amist4

Love your blog. More updates please!

Wascurito

So Mr Savage thinks that providing constructive feedback is discrimination....!

gijoe

But in fairness where is the alleged discrimination? Unless the PEA said that he would not deal with him because of his views??

lilesosanne

Website
Twitter
@lilesosanne
So Mr Savage thinks that providing constructive feedback is discrimination....!
I think his point, if you read the Times is that if he said he had fought for same sex marriage he would not of been told what he was.

lilesosanne

Website
Twitter
@lilesosanne
But in fairness where is the alleged discrimination? Unless the PEA said that he would not deal with him because of his views??
The courts, took what Seetec said and not Mr Savage. The case was not that the PEA wouldn't deal with him, it was that the PEA said people would not employ him because of his views. Would that be the same of Mr Savage had said he fought for same sex marriage?

Bill

Did he get the job with the health care firm?

shoneen

I'd say given a chance, employers would be lining up to employ this gentleman.

Wascurito

I think his point, if you read the Times is that if he said he had fought for same sex marriage he would not of been told what he was.
We don't know if that is true, do we? I do agree that homophobia is generally regarded as less acceptable than campaigning for a "yes" in that referendum.

Wascurito

The courts, took what Seetec said and not Mr Savage. The case was not that the PEA wouldn't deal with him, it was that the PEA said people would not employ him because of his views. Would that be the same of Mr Savage had said he fought for same sex marriage?
It's an issue of political opinions and I don't think that political opinion is one of the nine grounds upon which one can claim protection against discrimination.

GDPR

This is way above Piesters heads, they cant cope with sarcasm, much less irony. :)

Well we have an organisation which is supposed to steer people into gainful employment, staffed by people whose basic qualifications would not fit them for anything other than the pseudo-organisation they work for, who have managed to waste everyones money and time (apart from the lawyers) on someone who has no intention of working anyway?

Yippie-kay-yay.

Bill

Personally, if it was me that got those CV'S across my desk I would assume they're both nuts and throw them in the bin.

Wascurito

I dunno. I'd rather someone didn't feel the need to bring their politics into a professional environment.
Exactly. I'm a vegetarian and have pretty strong views on animal rights. I wouldn't put that on a CV and I can certainly think of other achievements than "standing up for my views".

Fundamentally, if someone wants to stay on the dole and puts some bilge on their CV that makes them toxic to employers, then there's not much society can do. But then claiming discrimination as well? That's chutzpah....!

lilesosanne

Website
Twitter
@lilesosanne
I dunno. I'd rather someone didn't feel the need to bring their politics into a professional environment.
Why, working, volunteering and advocacy can all be great work experience.

lilesosanne

Website
Twitter
@lilesosanne
Exactly. I'm a vegetarian and have pretty strong views on animal rights. I wouldn't put that on a CV and I can certainly think of other achievements than "standing up for my views".

Fundamentally, if someone wants to stay on the dole and puts some bilge on their CV that makes them toxic to employers, then there's not much society can do. But then claiming discrimination as well? That's chutzpah....!
Vegan and it goes on my CV because of the voluntary work I have done which are all good work skills.

lilesosanne

Website
Twitter
@lilesosanne
This is way above Piesters heads, they cant cope with sarcasm, much less irony. :)

Well we have an organisation which is supposed to steer people into gainful employment, staffed by people whose basic qualifications would not fit them for anything other than the pseudo-organisation they work for, who have managed to waste everyones money and time (apart from the lawyers) on someone who has no intention of working anyway?

Yippie-kay-yay.
Exactly Eagle - who ever you believe in the case is it enough that PEA's only need to have a leaving certificate to get this hugely responsible, varied and demanding job?

razorblade

The fact that he write it down on his CV was never going to go down well, your personal opinions shouldnt get in the way of you doing a job however it would best not to mention any of your personal beliefs to any potential employer.

Wascurito

Vegan and it goes on my CV because of the voluntary work I have done which are all good work skills.
That's fair enough. That's an achievement and shows you're a person who's willing to work and be proactive about it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies