• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Mandarin vs TDs - let's see who wins this one.

tipp revolution

What reason has John Moran to refuse papers to the public accounts committee?

Minister's top official digs in heels over papers - Independent.ie

As the payer of Mr Moran's salary and a member of a so called democracy, I demand transparency.
I hope John McGuinness doesn't let go of this one and neither should anyone else who cares a jot for the future of this country.

tipp revolution

Sorry admin - please take the apostrophe out of the title

Sync

Have you read the article? If you read the article he states his reasons.What in your knowledge of privilege and confidentiality leads you to believe he's able to give up the documents?

tipp revolution

The better half swiped the paper.

I dont care what Moran's reasons are. I am a great fan of the PAC and if they want the documents they should get them.

PS humour me - fix the apostrophe please

Last edited:

H.R. Haldeman

I can't ever get that excited about this story. Don't we know what happened? Blind panic.

Our catastrophe didn't happen in a private meeting. It happened in plain sight over 10 years. Government policy, public sentiment, the regulatory environment, irrational exuberance by the few....it was all there clear as day.

I think it was Hemingway who said that first you go broke slowly, then you go broke quickly. The night of the guarantee is the second part. The less important part.

Sync

The PAC's needed, it needs to be beefed up. But right now they're asking for documents they don't appear to have a legal basis to request. They're asking him to present privileged information between cabinet ministers and legal representatives. If he does that HE'S the one who faces action, not the people requesting it.

They're acting outside their remit and don't have any legal standing to make the request. I think they should be beefed up, have the power to hold people in contempt and be able to review such privileged information, but that needs to be passed by statute. It's not Moran's problem.

tipp revolution

OK as a frog said, reddit.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven AND the dept of finance has no chief economist
so WHO are they listening to? The wonky spreadsheet economists?
FFS x 142,200,000,000 approx(current IRish debt)

Levellers

Very simple. Establishment cover up.

I think the issue is that the external experts advised them not to do this and the corrupt Lenehan was supported by ministers and civil servants.

tipp revolution

Legal schmegal

We are paying - we deserve to know the truth

To be honest - the DPP should be preparing cases against the main players in 2008 anyway. Give the DPP the funding - the PAC shouldnt be doing the Gardai/DPP's work.

tipp revolution

So you think somebody actually told them not to do this?

tipp revolution

Watergate all over again - is there a deepthroat around to spill the beans - in the national interest. Come on Sindo it would sell papers....

davidcameron

Mr Moran said he has commenced a review of the file, including "55 key documents", with a view to releasing files "where possible".

However, Mr Moran said the release of any files is highly conditional and said "it would not be possible to forward [to the committee] legally privileged documents", which include communications between the Attorney General and government departments.

He added: "Nor will it be possible to release records that are covered by cabinet confidentiality or where commercial sensitivity remains an issue."
The Government is the AG's client. Therefore, it has the power to waive the confidentiality.

tipp revolution

The Government is the AG's client. Therefore, it has the power to waive the confidentiality.
Thanks David - so John Moran, what are you waffling about? Why are you covering up the Fianna Fail mess? What are you trying to hide? Is Fine Gael implicated here - did the Brians contact Enda Kenny before making the decision?

venusian

What reason has John Moran to refuse papers to the public accounts committee?

Minister's top official digs in heels over papers - Independent.ie

As the payer of Mr Moran's salary and a member of a so called democracy, I demand transparency.
I hope John McGuinness doesn't let go of this one and neither should anyone else who cares a jot for the future of this country.
It's Democracy Irish style! Don't worry the liars in government have promised open and transparent government, I mean for example Enid Kenny is demanding an investigation into the Lowry tapes, isn't he? Err!...........

So much for the FFger's "openness and transparency" Moran should be sacked on the spot if he does not give the info

venusian

Thanks David - so John Moran, what are you waffling about? Why are you covering up the Fianna Fail mess? What are you trying to hide? Is Fine Gael implicated here - did the Brians contact Enda Kenny before making the decision?
Oh Dear surely you are not suggesting that the FFer's and the FFger's are one on the same just because the FFger's have enacted all of the FFer's policies!

If the info does not come out as soon as possible it will give "labour" another reason (as if they needed one!) to jump ship. The smell from this in government must be nearly as bad as Enid not allowing any more debate on the Lowry tapes

emulator

Temperature just went up.... getting closer. :shock:

nonpartyboy

Mc guinness is one of the few ff td's i would have a lot of respect for, not afraid of the permanent govt, he basically accused them of gift wrapping the 250k office story for some journalist.

Have seen the shower of wasters in the opw in action, spending 250k on a ministerial office is nothing to them, i saw them spend 30k on a refurbishment of 3 cubicle jacks.

fg are exactly the same as your average ff'er, done rock the boat and keep the expenses rolling in........fg actually promised change, so they are the real scumbags in my opinion.

tipp revolution

Temperature just went up.... getting closer. :shock:
hmmmm - I was going to change my signature quote but I think it is pertinent here.

davidcameron

Mc guinness is one of the few ff td's i would have a lot of respect for, not afraid of the permanent govt, he basically accused them of gift wrapping the 250k office story for some journalist.
The civil servants in each department are subordinate to the cabinet minister of that department. Surely, that means that they have to obey the minister's instructions.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies