Mandatory vaccination.

davidcameron

Why do the UK and the Republic of Ireland not have a policy of mandatory vaccination of children against diseases such as measles? Surely, the child's right to life overrides the family's right to privacy. Such a policy would have prevented the deaths and brain damage that were caused by the seeds of doubt that disgraced doctor Andrew Wakefield sowed in parents' minds.

tokkie

Why do the UK and the Republic of Ireland not have a policy of mandatory vaccination of children against diseases such as measles? Surely, the child's right to life overrides the family's right to privacy. Such a policy would have prevented the deaths and brain damage that were caused by the seeds of doubt that disgraced doctor Andrew Wakefield sowed in parents' minds.
Jeez DC. How dim can you be? Seriously? Wakefield reached his own conclusions based on his own research. He was wrong. However back in the late 50s and early 60s there were doctors who suggested that the thalidomide drug was not good. However some opted to believe them. What if that had been mandatory?? The beauty about living in a world that you don't run or govern is that we have freedom of choice and ultimately live with the consequences of our OWN decisions.

Furtermore you are looking at this topic with the benefit of hindsight. It doesn't work that way. For the record I have two kids and Wakefield's research was all the rage at their time of vaccination and it was an issue that was heavily discussed.

bluefirelog

Mandatory vaccination is tricky. On the one hand, it seems like an unnecessary imposition on people's individual rights. Lots of people have concerns that they can have negative health implications. I, for one, was horrified by the idea of the the swine flu vaccine...On the other hand, have seen reports lately that when you reach a certain portion of parents who don't get their kids vaccinated, there are all kinds of horrible outbreaks in schools and people die...

soubresauts

Why do the UK and the Republic of Ireland not have a policy of mandatory vaccination of children against diseases such as measles?
There are a lot of good reasons, among them human rights. Do you know what human rights are? Did you ever hear of the right to refuse medication?

There's also the fact that nobody needs vaccination.

Surely, the child's right to life overrides the family's right to privacy.
Vaccination is nothing to do with a child's right to life. You're apparently influenced by the nonsense peddled by some doctors, nonsense like "measles is a killer disease". It's not. Nor are mumps, rubella, whooping cough, chickenpox, scarlet fever, and so on. They are normal childhood diseases. Normal, get it?

Such a policy would have prevented the deaths and brain damage that were caused by the seeds of doubt that disgraced doctor Andrew Wakefield sowed in parents' minds.
What "deaths and brain damage"? Can you offer scientific evidence of such?

tokkie

Vaccination is nothing to do with a child's right to life. You're apparently influenced by the nonsense peddled by some doctors, nonsense like "measles is a killer disease". It's not. Nor are mumps, rubella, whooping cough, chickenpox, scarlet fever, and so on. They are normal childhood diseases. Normal, get it?

Sorry. Whilst I disagree vehemently with the OP, he is referring to Andrew Wakefield. Wakefield caused a scare about the MMR and linked it to autism. For parents like myself who had kids of vaccination age, at that time, he caused quite a stir. Turns out the f8cker was completely and utterly wrong. Anyway net effect is that there is an increase in certain illnesses amongst 5 to 10 year olds because their parents opted to believe the now discredited Wakefield. Thankfully I didn't believe him.

soubresauts

Mandatory vaccination is tricky.
No, it's not. It's a ludicrous, fascist idea. End of story.

...On the other hand, have seen reports lately that when you reach a certain portion of parents who don't get their kids vaccinated, there are all kinds of horrible outbreaks in schools and people die...
It's interesting to see how ignorant young people are about how the world was just before they were born. When I was young, every kid contracted measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, whooping cough, and so on. And nobody died. Our parents were not alarmed. The doctors were not alarmed. Look at medical textbooks from that period. They regarded those diseases as normal and not very serious.

By the way, people of my age (fifties) have full immunity to those diseases. Whereas vaccination does not confer full immunity. I value immunity, and I value human rights. Don't you?

Last edited:

davidcameron

However back in the late 50s and early 60s there were doctors who suggested that the thalidomide drug was not good. However some opted to believe them. What if that had been mandatory??
Not the same. The difference between thalidomide and the MMR vaccine is that thalidomide was not medically necessary. Pregnant women have morning sickness. So what?! It is as natural as the pain of giving birth.

tokkie

Not the same. The difference between thalidomide and the MMR vaccine is that thalidomide was not medically necessary. Pregnant women have morning sickness. So what?! It is as natural as the pain of giving birth.
Philisophically it is the same. Do you believe the doctor or don't you? Why not address my post in its entirety??

davidcameron

Children died because their parents believed what Wakefield said. In other words, the children would have survived if they had been vaccinated.

I heard it on the news. Are you going to say that the news is a pack of lies?

davidcameron

Philisophically it is the same. Do you believe the doctor or don't you? Why not address my post in its entirety??
The difference between measles and morning sickness is that morning sickness does not cause death or disability. Quite why doctors thought it necessary to cure morning sickness, which is a natural part of pregnancy, I honestly don't know.

Ingersoll

There are a lot of good reasons, among them human rights. Do you know what human rights are? Did you ever hear of the right to refuse medication?

There's also the fact that nobody needs vaccination.

What a load of anti-vax bull************************ - any parent who doesn't vaccinate their child against these diseases and my children (or i ) catch them, had better start running. Vaccinations could not realistically be mandated in law, but parents who don't vaccinate their children should be exposed for the intellectually lazy gullible ************************s that they are, and held accountable for outbreaks.

davidcameron

It's interesting to see how ignorant young people are about how the world was just before they were born. When I was young, every kid contracted measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox, whooping cough, and so on. And nobody died.
Then why are these diseases potentially fatal today?

tokkie

The difference between measles and morning sickness is that morning sickness does not cause death or disability. Quite why doctors thought it necessary to cure morning sickness, which is a natural part of pregnancy, I honestly don't know.
Oh Christ!! PHILISOPHICALLY!!!! FFS!!!!! If one doctor says a drug is good and another says it is bad, who do you believe? As I said you are looking at this issue with the benefit of hindsight.

tokkie

What a load of anti-vax bull************************ - any parent who doesn't vaccinate their child against these diseases and my children (or i ) catch them, had better start running. Vaccinations could not realistically be mandated in law, but parents who don't vaccinate their children should be exposed for the intellectually lazy gullible ************************s that they are, and held accountable for outbreaks.
You are missing the point. I vaccinated my kids but that was my OPTION. However mandatory vaccination is not feasible. It infringes on our rights. I know of parents who opted not to have their kids vaccinated because of Wakefield's research. Their option. Not mine .

davidcameron

Oh Christ!! PHILISOPHICALLY!!!! FFS!!!!! If one doctor says a drug is good and another says it is bad, who do you believe? As I said you are looking at this issue with the benefit of hindsight.
What matters is medical necessity, not philosophy. Doctors are ethically obliged to recommend drugs that protect against life-threatening diseases. Morning sickness, unlike measles, does not put pregnant women in danger.

bkeith

I know of two children, who lost vision in a eye because of measles. (Scarring on the retina).

davidcameron

You are missing the point. I vaccinated my kids but that was my OPTION. However mandatory vaccination is not feasible. It infringes on our rights. I know of parents who opted not to have their kids vaccinated because of Wakefield's research. Their option. Not mine .
The child's right to life is more important than the parents' right to privacy. What's the difference between parents objecting to the vaccination of their children and Jehovah's Witnesses who refuse to allow their children to have blood transfusions unless the High Court forces them to allow it? None, because, in both cases, parents are putting their children's lives at risk.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom