• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mansions tax could destroy architectural heritage of Ireland's finest houses

patslatt

Maybe this architectural heritage is of little concern to Irish people,its philistine political leaders as well as the media going by the absence of media criticism on how the tax would affect the conservation of Ireland's finest houses. In the UK,there is an upper limit over a million pounds on the application of rates (interesting article REVEALED: Secret new mansion tax plan to hammer £1m homeowners | Mail Online) but in Ireland rates will apply on full market value,which could be five million plus for some. The UK limit recognises that many people on moderate incomes would have great difficulty paying rates on full market value of expensive houses they inherited and that the houses would fall into disrepair.

In Ireland,in the case of houses where home owners can't afford to pay,the rates in arrears will be accumulated at high interest rates,with the debts settled on the sale of the houses or passed on to the heirs of the estate.If the heirs can't afford to pay,presumably their houses would have to be sold off. In such circumstances,houses will fall into disrepair as people save money on repairs and refurbishments to pay rates.

Rates can incentivise ugliness too.In Rome in the 1980s,I was surprised at the shabby exteriors of houses in even the best neighbourhoods. I read later that many of those shabby exteriors were designed to conceal luxurious interiors from assessors of property taxes. Let's hope Dublin 4 doesn't start to take on a shabby look as rates keep rising steeply in coming years.

Another possibility is a repeat of the Dromore Castle,Limerick situation. This fine castle was bought by a Limerick building materials supplier in the 1950s who proceeded to strip out its roof and its fine wooden flooring for resale,eliminating rates http://irelandinruins.blogspot.ie/2011/05/dromore-castle-co-limerick.html.

Last edited:

Seanie Lemass

They are destroying everything else. Mansions be a bit down the list now.

SPN

It's a clusterfúck.

In five years time we'll look back and wonder how the Government could have been so stupid.

Labour never allow common sense to come between them and their ideology, just like they never let truth get between them and the trough.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

Wait a minute. You want me to feel sorry for someone in a 5 million € house having to pay some tax? Right! And I worry about how to pay €45 on mine. Sorry, no pity.

SPN

Wait a minute. You want me to feel sorry for someone in a 5 million € house having to pay some tax? Right! And I worry about how to pay €45 on mine. Sorry, no pity.
The problem with most of these "5 million" houses is that it is nigh on impossible to turn them into cash.

patslatt

It is not about pity,it's about preserving the country's architectural heritage and even the attractive exteriors of ordinary houses if the situation of Rome's high property taxes could apply.

Seanie Lemass

That's hardly the point SPN when they are sucking every spare Euro out of the place to pay a debt that they can never pay and Rabbitte cliaming that they won't!

Orwell could not invent these fkn ******************************************s.

tigerben

Why would you want to make approvements to your house now, why add that extension, why build a conservatory? Not only will you paid to get the job done, but you'll have to pay extra tax for it it the long term.

sondagefaux

You may have missed the thread where the results of an analysis showing that only 0.04% of houses in Ireland are worth €1 million were posted.

I doubt that every single one of these houses is worthy of conservation.

Even if they are, I doubt that a property tax of €2,500 per year is going to have a huge effect on conservation efforts, especially since there are a range of supports for the conservation of buildings deemed worthy of such.

http://www.southtippcoco.ie/newplanninghome/en/media/A guide to conservation grants in Ireland.pdf

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

The problem with most of these "5 million" houses is that it is nigh on impossible to turn them into cash.
You could always rent out one or two of the wings. Maybe 15 out of every 20 rooms with use of the swimming pool on week nights.

tokkie

It is not about pity,it's about preserving the country's architectural heritage and even the attractive exteriors of ordinary houses if the situation of Rome's high property taxes could apply.
Jaysus Pat. You're not the brightest, are you? Ever heard of Heritage Homes and tax relief?

Analyzer

Maybe if we could get the likes of Dicey Reilly to buy a mansion, then the mansions would be looked after.

Of course, assuming that there are better people at addressing financial issues than Dicey.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

I honestly don't care about your mansion. I worry about staying warm in mine over the winter.

dresden8

Here's an idea pat, maybe you could get public servants to pay it for the well off. You've been quite remiss in not mentioning us already.

sondagefaux

This is a link to the post that shows only 0.04% of Ireland's residential properties are worth €1 million or more: http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/201826-mansion-tax-will-only-generate-1m-250m-property-tax.html#post6130819

Approximately 1.6 million homes are eligible to pay the property tax.

0.04% of 1.6 million homes is 640 homes.

I doubt very much that all 640 homes are either worthy of conservation or need conservation.

Even if they were, I doubt very much that all their owners would be so affected by the property tax that they wouldn't be able to afford to undertake conservation measures, especially ones that can be grant aided.

im axeled

Maybe if we could get the likes of Dicey Reilly to buy a mansion, then the mansions would be looked after.

Of course, assuming that there are better people at addressing financial issues than Dicey.
he has one and gets tax relief on it.

carruthers

This is a link to the post that shows only 0.04% of Ireland's residential properties are worth €1 million or more: http://www.politics.ie/forum/economy/201826-mansion-tax-will-only-generate-1m-250m-property-tax.html#post6130819

Approximately 1.6 million homes are eligible to pay the property tax.

0.04% of 1.6 million homes is 640 homes.

I doubt very much that all 640 homes are either worthy of conservation or need conservation.

Even if they were, I doubt very much that all their owners would be so affected by the property tax that they wouldn't be able to afford to undertake conservation measures, especially ones that can be grant aided.
I very much doubt there are only 640 houses in the country valued at 1m plus even given the last five years.