• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Manufactured Crisis: Obama's budget sequester to kick in on March 1st

Skyrocket

Criminals will walk free, the crime rate will soar, low-income women, infants and children will starve, homelessness will skyrocket, hundreds of thousands of "seriously mentally ill adults" and "seriously emotionally disturbed children" will go untreated, families will be poisoned because of reduced food safety inspections (not an issue for those who will be starving, obviously), 1,000 FBI agents will be sacked or furloughed and defense programs will be gutted putting the nation's security in peril, HIV transmission will soar, tax cheats will evade detection en masse, over a million disadvantaged students will face savage cutbacks, thousands of teachers will be sacked and the economy will tank. Those seeking to flee a country in chaos will be going nowhere quickly because flights will also be delayed (or air travel "calamity" as Obama's Transportation Secretary put it).

PolitiFact | Barack Obama says sequester could force prosecutors to 'let criminals go'
Fact Sheet: Examples of How the Sequester Would Impact Middle Class Families, Jobs and Economic Security | The White House
White House warns of flight delays if sequester is not averted - The Washington Post

This is the picture painted by the White House of what will happen after March 1st when automatic spending cuts of $85 billion from a $3.6 trillion federal budget begin to take effect over the seven months spanning March-September, a process called sequestration. Domestic spending will be cut by 5% and the Pentagon budget will be down 8%. Who created this sequestration monster that will have such catastropic effects if an increasingly remote deal to put it off is not reached between President Obama and congressional Republicans?

Naturally, Obama is claiming that it's all down to those nasty Republicans in congress. He called it a 'manufactured crisis' and a 'meat-cleaver' approach in a speech in front of emergency service personnel as part of a PR offensive to blame sequestration on Republicans. The idea of sequestration originated in congress, he said in the third debate with Mitt Romney in October: "First of all, the sequester is not something that I've proposed. It is something that Congress has proposed. It will not happen," Obama said. Senior congressional Democrats have also been making this claim and the public seem to be buying it, although only 27% are paying close attention to the issue. A Pew poll released Wednesday revealed that a 49% would blame Republicans, 31% would blame Obama and 11% would blame both if Obama and Congress don't strike a deal on the sequester before March 1st.

Republicans have claimed Obama is responsible for the sequestration process, he proposed it and had said that he would veto attempts to undo sequestration.

[video=youtube;wcXBkawkHJM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&wcXBkawkHJM[/video]

Enter Bob Woodward, the famous Washington Post reporter who exposed the Watergate scandal. He supports the Republican claims that Obama is the creator of the budget sequestration plan he now decries and claims will lead to catastrophic effects:

Journalism icon Bob Woodward wrote in a new Washington Post op-ed first that the sequester was the “brain child” of the White House, calling out President Barack Obama for saying it was created by Congress.

“My extensive reporting for my book ‘The Price of Politics’ shows that the automatic spending cuts were initiated by the White House and were the brainchild of [Jack Lew, then-budget director during the negotiations] and White House congressional relations chief Rob Nabors — probably the foremost experts on budget issues in the senior ranks of the federal government,” Woodward wrote on a piece posted on Friday night.

Woodward continued: “Obama personally approved of the plan for Lew and Nabors to propose the sequester to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid [D-Nev.]. They did so at 2:30 p.m. July 27, 2011, according to interviews with two senior White House aides who were directly involved.”
Bob Woodward: Obama owns sequestration - Kevin Cirilli - POLITICO.com

Woodward's welcome intervention will give the White House pause for thought on their current strategy of scare tactics to force concessions from Republicans and may lead to a more calm and measured negotiation process to avert this 'manufactured crisis'.

Last edited:

owedtojoy

Who listens to Woodward any more when his last "insider" books on Bush and Obama have turned out to be crap?

Every knows the Republicans own this one, and are just wriggling on the hook on which they impaled themselves.

It makes a mockery of their public position that the enemies of "military Keynesianism" and "Big Government spending" are quaking in their boots at the thought of defence plants shutting down, and workers laid off.

Obama Administration Warns Of Budget Cuts' Impact

Skyrocket

Who listens to Woodward any more when his last "insider" books on Bush and Obama have turned out to be crap?
Quite a lot of people listen to Woodward actually which is why his intervention is being regarded as important and why the White House have accused Woodward of being 'willfully wrong'.

Every knows the Republicans own this one, and are just wriggling on the hook on which they impaled themselves.

It makes a mockery of their public position that the enemies of "military Keynesianism" and "Big Government spending" are quaking in their boots at the thought of defence plants shutting down, and workers laid off.

Obama Administration Warns Of Budget Cuts' Impact
Are you denying that the sequestration plan came from the White House?

NYCKY

Obama owns this one. It was part of a last ditch effort from the White House to get the debt ceiling raised back in 2011 under the assumption that the sequester would never be allowed to come into effect. Well it was supposed to come into effect at the end of last year but got a stay of execution for two months.

It remains to be seen just how much of an impact the cuts will have and how long it will take before the impact is felt. I hope the Cabinet and agency heads don't do what they did the last time, that is cut essential services first instead of the more discretionary non essential stuff.

In any event I expect more rating agency downgrades.

Skyrocket

Obama owns this one. It was part of a last ditch effort from the White House to get the debt ceiling raised back in 2011 under the assumption that the sequester would never be allowed to come into effect. Well it was supposed to come into effect at the end of last year but got a stay of execution for two months.

It remains to be seen just how much of an impact the cuts will have and how long it will take before the impact is felt. I hope the Cabinet and agency heads don't do what they did the last time, that is cut essential services first instead of the more discretionary non essential stuff.

In any event I expect more rating agency downgrades.
They'll probably do the same again or worse based on Obama's 'the sky will fall in' rhetoric.

The spat with Watergate legend Bob Woodward is an interesting sideshow. Calling the White House's pushback against him as "a classic case of distortion and confusion" Woodward explained why Obama calling for more tax increases was "moving the goal-posts":

"The deal negotiated by Vice President Biden and Senate Minority Leader McConnell on the sequester gave the president something he deemed essential: a one-step increase in the debt ceiling so he and the Congress would not have to repeat another contentious debt ceiling negotiation in election year 2012. That was his win. The Republican win was no tax increases in what became the sequester. Election year 2012 has passed. To seek more tax increases is to change the terms of the agreement. The president is fully entitled to do that but we ought to call it what it is."
5 days to sequester -- WOODWARD v. WHITE HOUSE! Bob challenges a West Winger to debate his sequester reporting with Boehner or aide at Playbook Breakfast -- FAVREAU, VIETOR to form Fenway Strategies - POLITICO Playbook - POLITICO.com

Obama's high risk strategy of of using scare tactics to pin the blame for sequestration on Republicans has drawn increasing scepticism and criticism in recent days:

Is President Obama overplaying sequestration hand? - Carrie Budoff Brown and Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com
Has President Obama taken his GOP-bashing too far? - The Week
Hysteric in Chief insists the sky is falling! | Boston Herald
Obama Takes Big Risk With His Sequester Gamble - Investors.com
Obama uses scare tactics to push GOP on tax hikes to avoid sequester cuts - NYPOST.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/20/us/politics/dire-forecast-on-effects-of-budget-cuts.html?_r=2&
Noonan: Government by Freakout - WSJ.com
More scare tactics from Obama administration

rash mulligan

Yes it looks like the media which created him are the only people who can hold him to account.

They let him away with his flip/flop on raising the debt ceiling but surely this (sequester) is one act of hypocrisy too many.

LadyLou

Woodward is now a Fox News contributor which lowers him in many people's eyes. He

was a fearless young man when he exposed Watergate with Bernstein but he's old now

and looking for a safe berth. As he works for Fox he HAS to blame Obama.

Skyrocket

Woodward is now a Fox News contributor which lowers him in many people's eyes. He

was a fearless young man when he exposed Watergate with Bernstein but he's old now

and looking for a safe berth. As he works for Fox he HAS to blame Obama.
That's a laughable attack on Woodward.

Firstly, he is not a Fox News contributor and doesn't work for Fox. Period. He occasionally appears as a guest on all of the major networks, as can be seen on the (current) main page of his website. Bob Woodward

You are either confusing occasional guests and paid contributors or just want to lie about Woodward.

"He's old now and looking for a safe berth" - what waffle and nonsense.

"he works for Fox he HAS to blame Obama" - more nonsense. Look up Juan Williams and see if he 'blames Obama'.

LadyLou

Skyrocket. I disagree with you. Anytime that he has been on Fox, he always agrees with

the GOP position. He has got more conservative in his old age and so do a lot of other people. Thats normal.

Juan Williams is on Fox to give the opposing view. He seems a very nice man. But thats his job. To give an appearance of balance.

Skyrocket

Skyrocket. I disagree with you. Anytime that he has been on Fox, he always agrees with

the GOP position. He has got more conservative in his old age and so do a lot of other people. Thats normal.

Juan Williams is on Fox to give the opposing view. He seems a very nice man. But thats his job. To give an appearance of balance.
Google 'Bob Woodward Fox News' throws up a few stories on the front page where Woodward actually criticises Fox News, specifically in this article:

Fox News chief’s failed attempt to enlist Petraeus as presidential candidate - The Washington Post

When did Woodward last appear on Fox News LadyLou?

Only since his intervention in the sequester debate is Woodward being considered a conservative supporting Republicans through dishonest or biased reporting. Which is a load of nonsense. Woodward's political ideology is centre-left which matches the ideology of The Washington Post, a paper that endorsed Obama in 2012. Woodward is associate editor of that paper.

Skyrocket

Woodward criticises Obama's "madness" on sequester

The Washington Post's Bob Woodward ripped into President Barack Obama on "Morning Joe" today, saying he's exhibiting a "kind of madness I haven't seen in a long time" for a decision not to deploy an aircraft carrier to the Persian Gulf because of budget concerns.
Bob Woodward: Obama's Sequester 'Madness' - Business Insider

[video=youtube;ODGJqtxnoGs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&ODGJqtxnoGs[/video]

anewbeginning

You ignore debt mountains at your peril. It takes hundreds of billions a year to service the US Debt mountain. In the long run it makes more sense to cut early than late. The Greeks are the classic example of a country who waited until the last minute to do something about their debt mountain and were forced into the most extreme measures possible before people would lend to them again.

Skyrocket

LadyLou

If you are a Republican or mainly agree with their veiwpoint, then you are delighted that

Bob Woodward has written articles expressing criticism of Pres Obama.

If however, you think that Bob Woodward knows more than Barack Obama, then you

have a bad problem.

Skyrocket

If you are a Republican or mainly agree with their veiwpoint, then you are delighted that

Bob Woodward has written articles expressing criticism of Pres Obama.
Woodward has called out Obama for his dishonest spin and fear-mongering on sequestration and received a tirade of abuse on the phone and got an email which he perceived to include a threat from a senior White House official. Woodward is a respected journalist and certainly no right-winger and the manner in which the White House has reacted to him should concern people of all political persuasions.

If however, you think that Bob Woodward knows more than Barack Obama, then you

have a bad problem.
Knows more about what? The sequester? Woodward's story on this is backed up by others who were involved in the negotiations:

Woodward — first in “The Price of Politics,” his bestseller on the failed quest for a grand budget bargain, and later with his opinion piece in The Post — makes plain that sequestration was an idea crafted by the White House. Obama personally approved the plan and later signed it into law. Woodward was right, several congressional officials involved in the talks told us.

[...]

So the blame game is full swing – and Woodward is smack in the middle of it. The Obama White House is out to discredit him.

[...]

But we have talked with many Democrats and Republicans who cooperated with the book. And all of them say that while they might dispute some of the broader analytical points Woodward makes, the play-by-play is basically spot on.
Read more: Behind the Curtain: Bob Woodward at war - POLITICO.com

LadyLou

It all depends on your point of view, what line you are trying to push. Republicans want

to think that Woodward is right. I accept that but I don't agree. I think he's gone

anti-Obama, perhaps just to take the opposite view to the main stream USA media.

Obama does know more than Woodward about how America is by virtue of his

presidency.

Skyrocket

It all depends on your point of view, what line you are trying to push. Republicans want

to think that Woodward is right. I accept that but I don't agree. I think he's gone

anti-Obama, perhaps just to take the opposite view to the main stream USA media.
Right. Obama should be above criticism. Gotcha. Any journalist (or anyone else for that matter) surely has an anti-Obama agenda should they dare to criticise him or present an objective account of the facts if they run counter to what Obama and his allies claim those 'facts' are.

Obama does know more than Woodward about how America is by virtue of his

presidency.
I don't get where you're going with this one.

LadyLou

No. Obama is not above criticism but I feel that a man that I had always admired ie

Woodward is being used. Fox News is having a field day with the article written in the

Washington Post by Woodward. Great man criticises President etc. Now, had we had a

Fox News when Woodward with Bernstein was outing Nixon, do you think he would

have been as popular with Fox.?

As to my second point, I put it very badly. I meant that as Obama is President, his

knowledge of the US's affairs is bound to be much better than any journalist, even

one as honoured as Woodward.

Papillon

No. Obama is not above criticism but I feel that a man that I had always admired ie

Woodward is being used. Fox News is having a field day with the article written in the

Washington Post by Woodward. Great man criticises President etc. Now, had we had a

Fox News when Woodward with Bernstein was outing Nixon, do you think he would

have been as popular with Fox.?

As to my second point, I put it very badly. I meant that as Obama is President, his

knowledge of the US's affairs is bound to be much better than any journalist, even

So what you're saying is regardless of how accurate Woodward's criticism of the President's handling of the sequester it is completely invalidated by Fox's running with the story?

ManOfReason

Wake up, what Obama knows and what Obama says are too different things.