• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Map of Cork during the Tan War etc...

S

SeamusNapoleon

I hope I am not overstepping the bounds in setting up a thread based on an existing one on Cedar Lounge Revolution relating to an interactive map of actions/incidents in Cork (city and county) during the Tan War/Anglo-Irish War/War of Independence.

https://cedarlounge.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/interactive-map-showing-major-incidents-from-cork-during-the-war-of-independence/

The only comment there (to date) is also very interesting:

the probelm with this is that it defines the WOI purely in terms of engegements- read sean healy’s witness statement and he describes buliding an intercept station in a dugout to tap telegraph wires used by crown forces- doesnt fit eassily into ambush chronology- or where do you put the activities of jisephine marchmont brown typist supervisor in a military barracks who kept extra carbon copies for IRA intelligence?
Mods: if I have overstepped the bounds, please let me know and I will edit accordingly. Cheers

former wesleyan

A bump for another good formerly midnight thread !!

JohnD66

Very good idea. But as regards telling the full story of the WoI it misses out an important element by not counting the shooting of informers and alleged informers. Also stopping at the truce tells only part of the story. It's not good only including the parts we're comfortable talking about.

shutuplaura

Very interesting. Would be pretty cool to see one for the country as a whole - a massive undertaking though.

former wesleyan

Dunmanway seemed to be very quiet . :cool:

former wesleyan

If one was being mischievous, one could point out that perhaps Dunmanway was not the safest place to operate given the perception of the area as that of a 'loyalist' stronghold.
:D

But according to Kathleen Keyes McDonnell in There Was A Bridge At Bandon they had no trouble visiting one of those loyalists in the middle of the night, questioning him, and then killing him.

Toidissatafu

But according to Kathleen Keyes McDonnell in There Was A Bridge At Bandon they had no trouble visiting one of those loyalists in the middle of the night, questioning him, and then killing him.
According to the selective history books of wesley >> murder twas always most crude & foul when done by them Irish.
But always romantic & heroic when carried out by unquestioning loyal servants of his heirloom past empire.

It's not good only including the parts we're comfortable talking about.
Does not every nation romanticize & gloss over blood & guts.
Do not all national war memorials portray heroic honorable heroes.

You are imagining a Irish specific >> like many another here, probably encouraged by headline makers who were looking to sell their books.
The obvious general reality of humanity and war (any war) is >> it is all just a load of history. Apart from the living victims, no one really gives a f about any past war, anywhere.
No more real or relevant than a movie.

linny55

iloyal to who , certainly not Ireland.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies