• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mapping the Golden Circle

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
this is pretty interesting report from Tasc

Mapping the Golden Circle

http://www.tascnet.ie/upload/file/MtGC ISSU.pdf
In the period 2005-2007, a network of 39 people held positions in 33 of the 40 top private companies and state-owned bodies. Between them, these 39 – referred to as the Director Network in TASC’s report – held a total of 93 directorships.
Mapping the Golden Circle also provides evidence that there was a trend of “excessive remuneration” for the CEOs of both state-owned and private companies. On average, their pay rose by over 40% between 2005 and 2007, while combined inflation for these two years ran at just over 9%.
TASC director and co-author of the report Paula Clancy said today:
part of trend of network viz, i expected to see more state boards in this

Last edited:

HughinBandon

Very, very interesting material. I have only glanced at the data but already I can see why they came up with NAMA.

Half Nelson

Any government which is serious about preventing a repeat of our woes should highlight multiple sections of this report and legislate to outlaw such practises.
The sections on short-termism and related remuneration are particularly relevant.

I won't hold my breath.

Raketemensch

This is a great piece of research. It's time to name names and point fingers. If we don't, then this bloody mess will happen every 20 years.

Raketemensch

Remuneration for CEOs of the boards of Ireland’s top private companies and State-owned
bodies increased by 46 and 42 per cent respectively between 2005 and 2007
Our overlords knew the crash was coming and made sure to bleed the place dry before it hit. Filthy scum.

I've always regarded the SWP as nutjobs or morons or both. They are starting to look like perceptive commentators.

MPB

Looks like it not just a Banking Inquiry we need.

Half Nelson

Come the revolution the diagrams are going to save a lot of time and legwork.:mrgreen:

Half Nelson

Our overlords knew the crash was coming and made sure to bleed the place dry before it hit. Filthy scum.

I've always regarded the SWP as nutjobs or morons or both. They are starting to look like perceptive commentators.
In fairness, they were warning us about the golden circle for many years before it hit the fan.

Joe for President!

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
IN&M named - is there a possibility of biased reporting on the issue?
no it suggest that a member of the in&m board sat a number of other boards including aib board

Bernard Somers he was one of the top 11 connnected people in the report

Bernard Somers was principal of an accountancy practice and held
31 additional private directorships while he was a non-executive director of four of the Interlocking Boards: AIB, DCC, ICG and Independent News and Media. It should be noted
in each case that some of the additional private directorships may have been on the boards
of subsidiary companies
think they need to list all the other members of all the boards in appendices

spidermom

Report being discussed on the late debate on rte 1 radio at the mo..!

idle tim

Give the Golden Circle a more fitting title,,,what about "The Ring of Repugnance".:mad:

olamp

There has been a "golden circle" in this country for many years -it is nothing new-In the Haughey era and even in the short period that John Bruton was taoiseach,the boys were always looked after--appointments to state boards --seats in the senate-esat mobile licenses-etc etc -saw publication of a will recently where the son of one of the major "witness" in the Flood Tribunal inherited 56m from dad--wish I could be a whistleblower for all the corruption that I know went on then and still continues ,but I have not the courage to jepardise my kids` or my grandchildrens` lives-I am just a coward like so many others and I am ashamed of myself for that-I could tell you so much

CookieMonster

Oh FFS! Like this is news to anybody who has ever tried to do anything in Ireland since... well, since the foundation of the state. Ireland is a small minded incestiuous nest of back slapping and has been from long before the CelticTiger was a twinkle in it's mother's eye. To claim otherwise is nonsense, the only thing which changed was the amount of money involved.

taxman58

Who's involved in TASC? Advisory Council

Fintan O'Toole (Chair)

Assistant Editor of the Irish Times and writer

Senator Maurice Hayes

An independent, non-party, member of the Senate, and Chairman of the European Forum.

Fergus O’Ferrall

Director of the Adelaide Hospital Society.

John Palmer

Former political director of the European Policy Centre (EPC) and currently a non-executive member of its governing board, which is chaired by Peter Sutherland, Chairman of Goldman Sachs. John is also vice-chair of its political Europe programme.

Colm Tobin

Former editor of Magill, journalist, arts critic and author.

Prof Hannah McGee

Chair, Department of Psychology, Division of Population Health, Sciences, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland.

Catherine Murphy

Dr Donal deBuitleir

Allied Irish Bank and former chairperson of Comhairle.

Prof Gerry Hughes

TCD Research Fellow, former professor with the the ESRI.

Chinedu Onyejelem

Editor & Publisher, Metro Eireann.

Prof. Kathleen Lynch

Equality Studies Centre, University College Dublin.

Prof. Pat O’Connor

Dean of Humanities, University of Limerick.

David Begg

General Secretary Irish Congress of Trade Unions. Former CEO of Concern.

Rosheen Callender

Economist, former National Equality Secretary, Services Industrial Professional Technical Union (SIPTU).

John Cushnahan

Former MEP and former Leader of the Alliance Party.

Prof. Declan McGonagle

Director, National College of Art & Design

Dr. Mary Murphy

Lecturer in Irish Politics and Society, NUI Maynooth, Former Social Policy Officer, St Vincent De Paul.

Prof. Bill Roche

Dean of Research at the Michael Smurfit Business School, University College Dublin.

Rosaleen McDonagh

Post Graduate Student, Trinity College Dublin. Former chairperson of the Irish Traveller Movement.

Des Geraghty

Executive Chair of Affordable Housing Partnership. Former President of SIPTU, former MEP.

Prof. Ivana Bacik

Reid Professor of Criminal Law, Criminology and Penology, Trinity College, Dublin. Independent Senator.

Greg Sparks

Joint managing partner of Farrell Grant Sparks.

John Sutton

Managing Director, Public Communications Centre, Former Artistic Director, Passion.

Cathleen O’Neill

Community Development Worker

Paul Sweeney

Economic Advisor, ICTU.

Robin Wilson

Independent Consultant. Former Director, Democratic Dialogue.

Maev-Ann Wren

Economist and writer.

Paula Clancy

Director, TASC.

darkknight

A very interesting and useful piece of research.

But it maps only a small part of the Golden Circle.

In the commercial and banking sectors alone, the Circle is much more extensive.

It also extends its tentacles into other key sectors - e.g. legal, political, medical, academic, media ...

Even in the list of members of the TASC Advisory Council, there are a few former and current Trade Union officials who are doing quite nicely from multiple directorships.

Hopefully, the map will be extended in further research.

A fuller study of the workings of the Golden Circle might also include how links are fostered and strengthened by old school networks, intermarriage, etc.

For every Seanie, there is an extended family circle, old school pals, drinking/golfing buddies, etc., many of whom benefit driectly or indirectly from the existence of a Circle of Privilege.

From our population of approximately 4 million, I would hazard a rough guess that Ireland's Golden Circle (i.e. our economic/social/political 'elite') includes about 200,000 individuals (5% of the population).

There is a Silver Circle (those just outside the inner sanctum) that probably includes a further 10% of the population, and a Bronze Circle that embraces another 25%, or so.

After that, it's a slippery slope all the way down to those who just about manage to get by on the crumbs swept from the rich people's tables.

Last edited:

laidback

A very interesting and useful piece of research.

But it maps only a small part of the Golden Circle.

In the commercial and banking sectors alone, the Circle is much more extensive.

It also extends its tentacles into other key sectors - e.g. legal, political, medical, academic, media ...

Even in the list of members of the TASC Advisory Council, there are a few former and current Trade Union officials who are doing quite nicely from multiple directorships.

Hopefully, the map will be extended in further research.

+1

A fuller study of the workings of the Golden Circle might also include how links are fostered and strengthened by old school networks, intermarriage, etc.

For every Seanie, there is an extended family circle, old school pals, drinking/golfing buddies, etc., many of whom benefit driectly or indirectly from the existence of a Circle of Privilege.

From our population of approximately 4 million, I would hazard a rough guess that Ireland's Golden Circle (i.e. our economic/social/political 'elite') includes about 200,000 individuals (5% of the population).

There is a Silver Circle (those just outside the inner sanctum) that probebly includes a further 10% of the population, and a Bronze Circle that embraces another 25%, or so.

After that, it's a slippery slope all the way down to those who just about manage to get by on the crumbs swept from the rich people's tables.