Marathon Man runs into trouble with CCOIA and gets the Boot after review of his Residency Status

Catalpast

Amazing reversal of Fortune as Sittuk stripped of Irish title as O'Hanlon declared champion!

Freddy Sittuk has been stripped of his title of Irish National Marathon champion after failing to meet eligibility criteria, with Gary O’Hanlon declared as the first Irish finisher across the line at the Dublin City marathon.
The Kenyan-born Raheny Shamrock runner finished fourth in Sunday’s Dublin marathon, and has been running on and off for Dublin club over the past five years.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2017/1101/916863-freddy-sittuk/

Good work by the CCOAI (Competition Committee of Athletics Ireland) for catching this one in time.

- and Congratulations to Gary O’Hanlon for taking 1st for an Irish Runner................:cool:

automaticforthepeople

Amazing reversal of Fortune as Sittuk stripped of Irish title as O'Hanlon declared champion!

Freddy Sittuk has been stripped of his title of Irish National Marathon champion after failing to meet eligibility criteria, with Gary O’Hanlon declared as the first Irish finisher across the line at the Dublin City marathon.
The Kenyan-born Raheny Shamrock runner finished fourth in Sunday’s Dublin marathon, and has been running on and off for Dublin club over the past five years.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2017/1101/916863-freddy-sittuk/

Good work by the CCOAI (Competition Committee of Athletics Ireland) for catching this one in time.

- and Congratulations to Gary O’Hanlon for taking 1st for an Irish Runner................:cool:
To be fair to Raheny Shamrocks, the man who registered Freddie is hard of hearing and thought that Freddie said he was from Cabra.

danger here

Reading the wording, I'd love to be a fly on the wall about how this came out. The winning club seem to have been the ones who brought this to light. Either someone there had a bit of a grudge towards Paddy Sittuk or more likely he or someone else was boasting about it after the victory and it couldn't be unheard so to say and the club had no choice.

eoghanacht

Tune in next week folks for the continuing saga by the Blanchardstown one as to why whites are better than blacks through the medium of several disconnected, random and unrelated events.*

It's like Lost, ye have to stick with it.*

Odyessus

Reading the wording, I'd love to be a fly on the wall about how this came out. The winning club seem to have been the ones who brought this to light. Either someone there had a bit of a grudge towards Paddy Sittuk or more likely he or someone else was boasting about it after the victory and it couldn't be unheard so to say and the club had no choice.
It seems an Irishman thought he had the "fastest Irish finisher" title in the bag because the ten runners who finished in front of him were all foreign. However Freddy Sittuk from Kenya, who finished fourth, was judged by the organizers to have been the fastest Irish finisher because he was deemed to qualify as Irish for the purpose of the race rules due to being resident in Ireland for six months immediately prior to the race.

The Irishman protested, and further enquiry revealed that Sittuk was not in fact resident in Ireland as stipulated in the rules, so he was stripped of the title of fastest Irish finisher (and the prize money I assume) and the Irish objector was ruled the fastest Irish finisher.

Catalpast

Tune in next week folks for the continuing saga by the Blanchardstown one as to why whites are better than blacks through the medium of several disconnected, random and unrelated events.*

It's like Lost, ye have to stick with it.*
What about Gina Akpe-Moses?

Erudite Caveman

And according to IAA rules, Garry O'Hanlon shouldn't qualify for the title either because he wasn't wearing his club singlet. With a bit of luck, I'll be declared champion by tomorrow.

Catalpast

Surely the obvious solution is that to qualify for being Irish

- you are Irish!

Living here for six month doesn't make anyone 'Irish'...

Franzoni

Kicking off on Duffy now...

Supra

- you are Irish!

Surely an obvious solution is accepting the organizers can't decide if someone is or is not Irish in the first place.
They set a criteria for themselves not for Ireland.

The_SR

- you are Irish!

Literally no-one has suggested it does. His result entitled him to a side prize for best result by an Irish based club runner. The issue is his club were a bit liberal in putting him forward for the prize.

The Rahenyite

Sergiu Ciobanu was third.
He's a joke, he's already represented Moldova at international level. Tried to claim not getting picked for the Rio Olympics was because he wasn't born in Ireland. Paul Pollock who was picked ahead of him duly confirmed that it was the right decision to pick him based on his strong half marathon performances when he finished 32nd in the Olympic marathon and first Irishman home.

Last edited:

The Rahenyite

- you are Irish!

As a member of Raheny Shamrock I can tell you that Freddy Keron Sittuk is here since 2012 on and off. He usually gets visas allowing him to stay here for no more than six months. His visa does not allow him to work tho this doesn't exclude race money from which he earns quite a lot. He turns out for the club a lot, wears the club singlet unlike Gary, and helps with mentoring up and coming young kids in the club. The man is quite the gentlemen. I myself wasn't aware he went back to Kenya thus breaking the continuous six month rule tho I wasn't even aware the rule even existed, apparently it was brought in at Athletics Ireland congress in 2016. The whole saga is a sad story and for both athletes it hasn't been good.

Erudite Caveman

He's a joke, he's already represented Moldova at international level. His behaviour on social media is atrocious.
Ah now. If being a bit of a **** on social media is a problem, will we strip Rob Heffernan of a few medals? I think the difference between Sergiu and Freddy Sittuk is that he has genuinely lived and taken a full part in the local athletics scene here for years.

The Rahenyite

Ah now. If being a bit of a **** on social media is a problem, will we strip Rob Heffernan of a few medals? I think the difference between Sergiu and Freddy Sittuk is that he has genuinely lived and taken a full part in the local athletics scene here for years.
I edited my comment as it was a bit personal.

Freddy has taken part in races here, from marathons in Belfast, Cork and Derry. He lives in Raheny when here. He's also represented the club in national league action. I've never seen Sergiu run for Clonliffe Harriers in the league or Gary O'Hanlon for that matter.

Erudite Caveman

I edited my comment as it was a bit personal.

Freddy has taken part in races here, from marathons in Belfast, Cork and Derry. He lives in Raheny when here. He's also represented the club in national league action. I've never seen Sergiu run for Clonliffe Harriers in the league or Gary O'Hanlon for that matter.
I saw Garry O'Hanlon race with a buggy one time. Along with the singlet here, he seems to have an opt out on rules that apply to others, so I don't have much sympathy for him in this instance. He's no Mick Clohissey!

Catalpast

As a member of Raheny Shamrock I can tell you that Freddy Keron Sittuk is here since 2012 on and off. He usually gets visas allowing him to stay here for no more than six months. His visa does not allow him to work tho this doesn't exclude race money from which he earns quite a lot. He turns out for the club a lot, wears the club singlet unlike Gary, and helps with mentoring up and coming young kids in the club. The man is quite the gentlemen. I myself wasn't aware he went back to Kenya thus breaking the continuous six month rule tho I wasn't even aware the rule even existed, apparently it was brought in at Athletics Ireland congress in 2016. The whole saga is a sad story and for both athletes it hasn't been good.
I have no problem with him racing here and fair play to him coming 4th

- But he's not an Irishman

- and should not be allowed to pass himself as 1

The Rahenyite

I have no problem with him racing here and fair play to him coming 4th

- But he's not an Irishman

- and should not be allowed to pass himself as 1
He was never passing as an Irishman. A ruling brought in at congress last year allowed non-nationals living in Ireland to compete for national titles and medals as long as they were resident for six continuous months up until the championship.

The rule does need to looked at and the issue of ''Irish'' athletes in general. Some American athlete, Jeremy Philipps, who no one in Ireland heard of turns up for the Morton Games this year, registers for Clonliffe Harriers and was allowed compete in the national senior outdoor track and field the same month and won the 100m denying Irish born Eanna Madden of Carrick-On-Shannon a historic 100m/200m sprint double. Allistar Cragg and Tori Pena are other controversial ''Irish'' athletes while one eejit recently named Leon Reid who already competed for GB at youth level begged Sebastian Coe, IAAF president, to allow him to confirm his transfer to Ireland in order to run in his words 'in front of a home crowd' at the recent world championships in London.

Last edited:

New Threads

Most Replies