Marcella Corcoran Kennedy and the Beer Burka

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Legislation is before the Oireachtas to force retailers to swathe areas of shops where Alcohol is available for sale with what struck me as nothing less than a 'beer burka'. It is designed to shield the 'product' from the eye and to confer on it an air of the forbidden. Covering women is often justified by claims that men would be unable to control their 'sexual emergencies' at the sight of uncovered 'product' and precisely the same rationale is being deployed here.

Whilst the minister claims she is merely "asking business owners to visually separate alcohol form the visibility of children and young people" she is in fact making it visually separate from everybody and heavily stigmatising the act of buying a bottle of plonk for the Sunday roast. A critic has likened the beer burka to rendering the experience akin to sneaking into a peep show.

For me, this made sense with Cigarettes. There is no amount of smoking that isn't harmful and companies who push this budget and life wrecking product should be prevented from marketing their products. But the push to apply it to products most people enjoy without serious harm smacks of rampant nanny-statism. How many alcoholics is this going to prevent from buying booze? Exactly zero.

I returned to Ireland recently and was pleased to note that beer and wine was just another aisle in the supermarket; like it is in most countries. Now it seems we're going backward again. What's the impetus here? Christian prudishness? Latent statism with the Health Department? A belief that Irish people are incapable of acting responsibly? Nothing more than trying to leave a mark?

The Field Marshal

Ignorant Irish govt fascists [elected and unelected] with power to make life miserable for everybody.

Time for a real purge.

Lara2

Will the staff be required to keep closing the shower curtain every time someone gets a drink? They won't last, they'll be pulled down by someone wanting a drink without all the hassle. If the glass door option is used someone will break it.

Paddy Sarkozy

What's the price of a pint in the Dail bar these days? Are we still subsidising that shower of TDs?

Bill

Excellent idea, although I would go further and stipulate all adults wear a Danielsan type fancy dress if consuming alcohol in public and in their homes if there are children or stupid people present.

Last edited:

sethjem7

I read the rationale behind this was to 'visibly separate alcohol from the eyes of children and young adults'! How's that going to work out when you bring the kids for a Sunday carvery down the local?

Paddy Sarkozy

I read the rationale behind this was to 'visibly separate alcohol from the eyes of children and young adults'! How's that going to work out when you bring the kids for a Sunday carvery down the local?

And what about pubs? How in hell does MCK plan to cover those suckers up??

Feckkit

...For me, this made sense with Cigarettes. There is no amount of smoking that isn't harmful and companies who push this budget and life wrecking product should be prevented from marketing their products. But the push to apply it to products most people enjoy without serious harm smacks of rampant nanny-statism. How many alcoholics is this going to prevent from buying booze? Exactly zero...
Really, Kev, your naiveté is cute.

Smokers (like me) have been warning since 2003 or before, that the smoker-ban, irrespective of what your attitude to smoking is, was the thin edge of the wedge and both the means and the method of establishing precedent and tolerance for state interference in autonomous personal affairs. We were, of course, shouted down - most particularly by those who swallowed the 'health' hogwash in deference to their own pet fears and petty peeves about wisps of smoke.

It is interesting, but not surprising, to note from your post that the minister is only "asking business owners to visually separate alcohol form the visibility of children and young people". The anti smoking crusade from the 70s began with: "But all we want is a small non-smoking section in restaurants. Is that too much to ask?"

You ought really to study up on the Godber Blueprint to see how the whole course of events that eventually led to the almost complete exclusion of smokers was carefully managed and strategised for over 30 years, to get some glimpse of the mentality currently underpinning the 'war on booze'.

You should also understand that logic does not enter into any of this. It is an ideological crusade, massively funded, using precisely the same tactics, and in some cases the very same personnel from "tobacco control". Why, they are even using precisely the same slogans.

Drinkers, whether they realise it or not, are well in the throes of being nannied, one beer burka at a time.

eoinmcneil

Legislation is before the Oireachtas to force retailers to swathe areas of shops where Alcohol is available for sale with what struck me as nothing less than a 'beer burka'. It is designed to shield the 'product' from the eye and to confer on it an air of the forbidden. Covering women is often justified by claims that men would be unable to control their 'sexual emergencies' at the sight of uncovered 'product' and precisely the same rationale is being deployed here.

Whilst the minister claims she is merely "asking business owners to visually separate alcohol form the visibility of children and young people" she is in fact making it visually separate from everybody and heavily stigmatising the act of buying a bottle of plonk for the Sunday roast. A critic has likened the beer burka to rendering the experience akin to sneaking into a peep show.

For me, this made sense with Cigarettes. There is no amount of smoking that isn't harmful and companies who push this budget and life wrecking product should be prevented from marketing their products. But the push to apply it to products most people enjoy without serious harm smacks of rampant nanny-statism. How many alcoholics is this going to prevent from buying booze? Exactly zero.

I returned to Ireland recently and was pleased to note that beer and wine was just another aisle in the supermarket; like it is in most countries. Now it seems we're going backward again. What's the impetus here? Christian prudishness? Latent statism with the Health Department? A belief that Irish people are incapable of acting responsibly? Nothing more than trying to leave a mark?

we have a problem with alcohol in this country. Nobody really disputes that

Question is, which is more feasible in terms of moderating consumption patterns.

1) trying to adjust behaviour onto more of a mainland European norm, where alcohol consumption is more mainstream but at a more moderate level

2) go for a more scandinavian approach of trying to stigmatise it.

Of course 1) would be the better long term approach. But the problem is the whole of irish society has such a warped view of alcohol consumption " let me tell you about the hilarious scenario of consuming sufficient excess alchohol to cause short term memory loss" that its going to be a long old process.

Socratus O' Pericles

It's certainly a nod in the direction of prohibition which has always worked well and been tremendously successful worldwide.

eoinmcneil

It's certainly a nod in the direction of prohibition which has always worked well and been tremendously successful worldwide.
indeed, you can see where the desire for a quick fix comes from, even if its almost certainly not going to have any positive impact.

'orebel

Who?

stakerwallace

What's next? Knitted jackets for the wine bottles? Blank labels for the beer bottles?

freewillie

Will someone please think of the children?

freewillie

And when the little ************************s have had their fill of chicken nuggets you leave them run wild while you get pissed watching Sky Sports

Socratus O' Pericles

Education,education and education would be the three things I'd bring to Help ease Irelands severe problem with alcohol abuse.

Socratus O' Pericles

And when the little ************************s have had their fill of chicken nuggets you leave them run wild while you get pissed watching Sky Sports
Certain amount of truth in this post.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies