• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

March against Austerity 24th November 2012

partnership

Public urged to march against austerity - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 06, 2012

In todays Irish Times the Dublin Council of Trade Unions have urged people to march against austerity on the 24th November 2012.

Everyone in Ireland is giving out about austerity and many of them do so via this forum. But how many of them will bother marching? The article estimates 10,000.

If we want to give a message to Angela Merkel then there should be a million people on the streets protesting.

Before people start going on about the trade unions etc it is up to us the Irish people to get off our backsides and do something outselves. If not then stop complaining about austerity.

Howya

Maybe someone will organise a march to protest against the unions?

Spanner Island

There needs to be an alternative starting point organised for those who wish to protest but who have no time for the left or the poxy trade unions.

needle_too

What a coincidence!

I'm organising a March Against Productivity on the same day in the same place!

D

Dylan2010

if spending more than a billion a month more than you have is austerity, whats letting it rip?

odlum

Best message we could give to the world is spending less than we take in in taxes. Living with in our means. The beards are as blinkered as ever.

sic transit

There needs to be an alternative starting point organised for those who wish to protest but who have no time for the left or the poxy trade unions.
If you start any kind of a march you can expect the usual suspects to join in, invited or not. I'd love someone to explain what purpose these marches have, bar an excuse to let off some steam.

Spanner Island

Meh,,,,

listening to beards talking?
Worse than that... listening to rich beards (many of whom also hold multi directorships on top of their fat salaries and pensions...) pretending they care and that they're in touch with the 'ordinary workers'...

Why anyone has any time for the parasitic leeches and their cheerleaders is beyond me...

odlum

If you start any kind of a march you can expect the usual suspects to join in, invited or not. I'd love someone to explain what purpose these marches have, bar an excuse to let off some steam.
Worse, if a CNN or FT reporter happens to be in town suddenly headlines go out about "unrest" in Ireland...investors get nervous, cost of borrowing rises, no exit of bailout. Ironically this means more austerity for the protestors. Any sign of instability is dangerous for a country in Ireland's position even though there is no instability. It is the image given abroad that breeds ignorance and is not without consequence - look at Portugal.

adrem

I'd like to march against those who are pretending there is an alternative, I'd like to march against those who think spending/investing €10s of billions every year that we don't have is austerity !! We are borrowing a massive stimulus plan which is being used to prevent our country collapsing - the EU/IMF/ECB are providing us with this stimulus which allows us to avoid having to make the correction to our spending/taxation in one go. Somehow some people seem to think we live in monopoly land and can just print a few bits of paper and call it money.

I, however, do firmly believe that public sector pay rates are too high and (more importantly) too inflexible. I think that the Banks DB pension schemes should be wound up - if the company is insolvent and has to be rescued for the good of the country (a principle I grudgingly agree with) why is the DB scheme being included?? I think TDs salaries should be increased (!!) and expenses gotten rid of completely other than a vouched and capped mileage allowance.

realistic1

Public urged to march against austerity - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 06, 2012

In todays Irish Times the Dublin Council of Trade Unions have urged people to march against austerity on the 24th November 2012.

Everyone in Ireland is giving out about austerity and many of them do so via this forum. But how many of them will bother marching? The article estimates 10,000.

If we want to give a message to Angela Merkel then there should be a million people on the streets protesting.

Before people start going on about the trade unions etc it is up to us the Irish people to get off our backsides and do something outselves. If not then stop complaining about austerity.
Maybe if the Union leaders started showing real leadership and reduced their criminal salaries to the average industrial wage, the people will take these marches seriously. Organising these badly attended marches causes our Government to keep ploughing on with austerity.

richie268

Best forecast for revenue intake from house hold Charge =160 million -8/10 million collection charge.
AIB pension subsidy =1.1 billion.
A march for information???

realistic1

Worse, if a CNN or FT reporter happens to be in town suddenly headlines go out about "unrest" in Ireland...investors get nervous, cost of borrowing rises, no exit of bailout. Ironically this means more austerity for the protestors. Any sign of instability is dangerous for a country in Ireland's position even though there is no instability. It is the image given abroad that breeds ignorance and is not without consequence - look at Portugal.
The above comment is why things will never change for the screwed working person in this dodgy State.

Disillusioned democrat

Stroke of genius by Labour - they know full well that the majority of people wouldn't be seen dead supporting a union march - in case anyone missed it, unions are almost as much to blame for the state of the country as the banksters and politicians - so a this protest will be seen by many for what it is - cossetted union leaders and their members wanting to get back to the "good old days". The usual suspects will turn up and RTE will cover it with a condescending "small wasn't it?" attitude that will discredit it AND prevent further demonstrations.

The real solution is for more "austerity" not less, by which, of course I mean running the country on a budget it can afford, and the people who know that wouldn't be marching with the unions.

WilliamLee

March against austerity my arse. Fact is we have to take some pain to get out of this mess. Austerity isnt the problem, social inequality and the protecting of public sector fat cats is the problem. Like most things in life people are prepapred to take their share of pain, just not everyone elses.