March for marriage equality and abortion in Belfast.

parentheses

So there has been a big march in Belfast in support of Marriage Equality.

Activists have also stated they want liberalisation of abortion laws in the North.
director of the Together for Yes campaign Ailbhe Smyth has said activists from the Republic will support the people of Northern Ireland in their quest for marriage equality and abortion law reform.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/thousands-attend-marriage-equality-rally-in-belfast-1.3517934

So how do people in the NI forum feel about activists coming from the south to campaign for change in NI's laws on Marriage and Abortion?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Probably a good thing. The more people both North and South engage in social issue legislation and not across religious lines the better, I think.

michael-mcivor

So how do people in the NI forum feel about activists coming from the south to campaign for change in NI's laws on Marriage and Abortion?
Dublin had to put up with Willie Frazer marching there in his ‘ Love ‘ Ulster men march-

FOURGREENFIELDS

Don't agree with abortion and don't agree with same sex marriage (nothing wrong with civil partnerships) BUT people are entitled to travel wherever they want to support their point of view.

Dame_Enda

I think it's important that supporters come over from mainland uk too so it's not seen as just southerners or nationalists supporting this. The vast majority of the UK parliament is pro abortion and pro ssm. I think the demos today were very good idea but I would also hope supporters from Great Britain will participate to persuade Unionist politicians of the case for change. That's what happened in the GFA referendum in 1998.

mac tíre

Activists have also stated they want liberalisation of abortion laws in the North.https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/thousands-attend-marriage-equality-rally-in-belfast-1.3517934

Activists traveling across the country to campaign in another part of the country? What do I think about that? I think it's normal.

theloner

Activists have also stated they want liberalisation of abortion laws in the North.https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/thousands-attend-marriage-equality-rally-in-belfast-1.3517934

Jimbo Wells traveled to the Dublin for several 'pro-life' marches. It's all to be welcomed. Whoever says these issues don't affect the whole island is completely insane or an absolute sectarian f*ckwit.

CastleRay

How does this issue effect those in the Republic and what can they do about it?

The way to deal with this is to get the NI Assembly up and running. These issues cannot be tackled because SF demand a Language Act for Irish Gaelic. Marches like the one in belfast yesterday are pointless as nobody takes any notice.

McSlaggart

How does this issue effect those in the Republic and what can they do about it?

The way to deal with this is to get the NI Assembly up and running. These issues cannot be tackled because SF demand a Language Act for Irish Gaelic.
The Irish language has become a totem issue for nationalists. The fact that Unionism thinks its just an issue for SF is not surprising. I love the way unionism is totally incapable of having a vision for an inclusive northern Ireland.

CastleRay

The Irish language has become a totem issue for nationalists. The fact that Unionism thinks its just an issue for SF is not surprising. I love the way unionism is totally incapable of having a vision for an inclusive northern Ireland.
There is little evidence of nationalists speaking or wanting to speak this language. The evidence is SF doing a lot of mouthing about it, nothing else.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
There is little evidence of nationalists speaking or wanting to speak this language. The evidence is SF doing a lot of mouthing about it, nothing else.
oddly enough on the other island people there are still not sure whether the DUPpers are actually speaking English.

McSlaggart

Look this is not about SF. I could argue about SF but that would be missing the point. SF are looking to a day in which Northern Ireland does not exist. Its Unionism who will increasingly need moderate Nationalist support to make sure that Northern Ireland exists.

CastleRay

Look this is not about SF. I could argue about SF but that would be missing the point. SF are looking to a day in which Northern Ireland does not exist. Its Unionism who will increasingly need moderate Nationalist support to make sure that Northern Ireland exists.
These issues can only be dealt with by cross community agreement at Stormont.

tokkie

Between the DUP stance on SSM, abortion and an Irish Language Act, you are aware how they (and by extension the PUL community) are being viewed by British people?

GDPR

There is actually massive evidence of "Nationalists" speaking "this language". I don't think that any proposed Irish language Act goes near far enough.

CastleRay

Between the DUP stance on SSM, abortion and an Irish Language Act, you are aware how they (and by extension the PUL community) are being viewed by British people?
On SSM, yes. I don’t believe they’re viewed badly around the UK on the other two matters.

Emily Davison

It’s great.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/30/tory-deputy-chair-attacks-mps-over-northern-ireland-abortion-law

It’s a toss up which will be first, abortion or SSM.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies