• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

March on Sat 9th Feb Lift the Burden Jobs not Debt

partnership

Lift the Burden - Jobs not Debt - Protest Sat Feb 9th » Home Page

I am appealing to all the posters on here who are so vociferous about the austerity programme to join in the march next Sat. I know that I will probably get a load of abuse on this thread, people will say they will not take part in anything organised by the unions etc etc. However I believe that people need to make a visible show against austerity so that the EU and the rest of the world get the message that the Irish people are not just sheep. It should not matter who organises the protest it is about what you believe in and making your opinion count. By joining in you are not saying you support the unions rather that you do not support austerity.

Bobcolebrooke

What Austerity are you on about?

Many families get much more on welfare that their skills would earn in the marketplace!

curiousorange

The governments spending way more on public sector pay and oensions, social welfare and capital spending than it takes in taxes, with the debts to prove it. What austerity?

boggerman

would not join a march like that to listen to the usual bearded brethern of o conner,begg et al spout on about cuts given there big ************************ing saleries.six nations on the telly again next weekend.more relevant than some stupid march.

Bobcolebrooke

The governments spending way more on public sector pay and oensions, social welfare and capital spending than it takes in taxes, with the debts to prove it. What austerity?
If we borrowed €14 billion less and reduced welfare by 14/21 or 66% that would bring you a lot closer to austerity.

Needless to say if borrowing was reduced by €14 billion tax revenue would fall substantially too.

There fore the reduction in welfare required would be closer to 80% to balance the budget.

Mad as Fish

What Austerity are you on about?

Many families get much more on welfare that their skills would earn in the marketplace!
Yeah that's right, sure they do. Now run along and tell nanny what a clever boy you are.

cabledude

What would be the objective of the march. Do the organizers believe that protest will change the minds of the people who make decisions in Ireland. I don't think so. Marching is useless. Just gives union leadership a chance to point to protest marches and say 'Look, we are doing our jobs'. Don't think so.

Bobcolebrooke

What would be the objective of the march. Do the organizers believe that protest will change the minds of the people who make decisions in Ireland. I don't think so. Marching is useless. Just gives union leadership a chance to point to protest marches and say 'Look, we are doing our jobs'. Don't think so.
Do they wish to tell the ECB we will default on some of their loans while still expecting them to continue lending to us?

cabledude

Do they wish to tell the ECB we will default on some of their loans while still expecting them to continue lending to us?
It seems they do. As long as high level PS/CS wages and increments are kept higher than the EU average.

Bobcolebrooke

It seems they do. As long as high level PS/CS wages and increments are kept higher than the EU average.
Do they expect the ECB to agree to wipe loans while Irish politicians are paid huge salaries and expenses and while some public servants are paid huge salaries?

Bonsai Experiment

By joining in you are not saying you support the unions rather that you do not support austerity.

I don't think it's about whether people support the unions or not but whether the unions support the people, up until now they haven't. I want to hear what they have to say before I associate myself with them. Ive been on a couple of marches already and they and there members were sitting at home watching the football on telly. Get off your holes and show us that you are behind the country and not just watching your own backs. The unions need to earn our respect at this stage.

BlackLion

I hope to get to the one in dublin( not going to support the unions) but who in the name of God in the union organises these protests? Dublin should be the only place that a protest should take place . ever heard divide and conquer? I am closer to waterford but what the point in protesting there?

hiding behind a poster

I presume from that, that you'd prefer high level PS/CS wages to be brought down to the EU average - presumably if you think that, you also think it should happen with Welfare payments?

cobhguy

Yeah that's right, sure they do. Now run along and tell nanny what a clever boy you are.
Well they are right many families do receive more on welfere than they would receive working. I am not saying its wrong you should receive enough to take care of your family. I am saying that for many long term on social welfere theres not much asterity.

Just the same as the top people theres seems to be none.

sykes

All smoke and mirrors by the bearded brethern to keep the sheeple on side.
I would not be surprised if it came out that the government suggested it to David and Jack.

Popular Threads

Most Replies