• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Marching? Give me a break

lies

Twitter
yes
I have seen ENDLESSSSSSSSSS comments trying to gte people to march against... well you name it... today it's marching against the promissory to bond mess...

Give me a break people.

Marching does feck all. Except demoralise marchers, as it reminds them that the government doesn't listen to people wandering around in the rain.

If you wanna change things, brilliant. Do it. But don't try and do it with marching.

You just look asinine.

And before you demand I give you a better alternative, ask yourself, "when is the last time the government changed a major policy decision because of marching. Anyone remember the anti-Iraq War marches? Millions of people. And we still got a war in Iraq.

Use all that energy to think of something better to do to affect change.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
I have seen ENDLESSSSSSSSSS comments trying to gte people to march against... well you name it... today it's marching against the promissory to bond mess...

Give me a break people.

Marching does feck all. Except demoralise marchers, as it reminds them that the government doesn't listen to people wandering around in the rain.

If you wanna change things, brilliant. Do it. But don't try and do it with marching.

You just look asinine.

And before you demand I give you a better alternative, ask yourself, "when is the last time the government changed a major policy decision because of marching. Anyone remember the anti-Iraq War marches? Millions of people. And we still got a war in Iraq.

Maybe you should take your own advice and stop posting sh!te on P.ie ??

optics

Marching is effective and can have an effect if there is a one day strike on as well and if its on a working weekday. If everyone downed tools and barricaded Dáil Eireann it could work.

lies

Twitter
yes
Marching is effective and can have an effect if there is a one day strike on as well and if its on a working weekday. If everyone downed tools and barricaded Dáil Eireann it could work.
Marching is ineffective.

How many marches have taken place against cuts... have they stopped? What about against the bondholders? And did they work?

Other things, like making a media stink, can work, but not marching... no one cares, least of all politicians.

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

What about when pensioners marched against the removal of their medical cards? What about when rural communities marched against the closing down of small rural schools?

They are two examples off the top of my head as to why you are incorrect.

Additionally, it helps to increase curiosity and awareness amongst people on the streets, particularly if combined with a leafleting campaign.

lies

Twitter
yes
What about when pensioners marched against the removal of their medical cards? What about when rural communities marched against the closing down of small rural schools?

They are two examples off the top of my head as to why you are incorrect.

Additionally, it helps to increase curiosity and awareness amongst people on the streets, particularly if combined with a leafleting campaign.
The MAIN part of BOTH of those campaigns was a media campaign. They woulda both had the same outcome without a single marcher.

Lots of media campaigns work, but marching without a media campaign: worthless. Media campaign without marching: mixed results.

Mossy Heneberry

Marching is ineffective.

How many marches have taken place against cuts... have they stopped? What about against the bondholders? And did they work?

Other things, like making a media stink, can work, but not marching... no one cares, least of all politicians.
What about the blue rinse brigade and their protests against the medical card cuts?

They were very effective.

lies

Twitter
yes
What about the blue rinse brigade and their protests against the medical card cuts?

They were very effective.
That was a MEDIA campaign.

You know about it because it was on the radio and telly, not because you saw OAPs in the streets.

And guess what, even without the march they woulda won because the media was on it like flies on ************************.

daveL

the only people that get listened to when they march are the olds... the vote in vast numbers you see

FrankSpeaks

I'm organising a march against marching sometime in March, anyone that wants to march can contact me at March@antimarch.com

jwallz96

In fairness, most of the people who have time to be marching midweek against taxes etc., probably don't have to pay taxes

Levellers

Give me a break people.

You just look asinine.

Like the OAPs and their march against the removal of the medical cards. That achieved nothing.

lies

Twitter
yes
Like the OAPs and their march against the removal of the medical cards. That achieved nothing.
Third time it's been pitched onto this thread... and for the third time, that was a MEDIA campaign.

A march alone woulda been as useful as all those toher marches without effective media coverage... i.e. ineffective

tipp revolution

Fresh air is good for you even if there is a bit of a stench in the Kildare st area
Togetherness is a beautiful thing
A gathering of energies directed towards change or justice is a powerful force
A march of a million or two would back up our muppets in their dealings with the ESB (Good man Gerry)

Dorcha

That was a MEDIA campaign.

You know about it because it was on the radio and telly, not because you saw OAPs in the streets.

And guess what, even without the march they woulda won because the media was on it like flies on ************************.
And the media got involved because they saw people marching. Marching does have an effect, although not directly on the politicians.