Marching/Parading solely a unionist phenomenon?

Northern Voice

I happened to come across this video of Eire Nua Flute Band on YouTube tonight:

YouTube - Eire nua flute band

Frequently on this board people have used loyalist bands as a means of demeaning unionist culture in general. Saying it is not really culture at all, intimidation etc. In short, unionists are portrayed as the only people in the UK who wish to parade their culture with bands etc. Surely the video above shows that band culture is part of Republicanism as well as unionism? Whilst it may be in the earlier stages of development there seems to be more Republican bands knocking about these days - thus my question is as follows. Are Republicans becoming more interested in bands and the 'blood & thunder' genre in particular?

Schomberg

Growing up in the deepest south of the republic, loads of towns would parade a couple of times a year, with bands, local groups, flags (and not to get the boot in here, but I always remember the papal yellow being flown) and the local southern version of the TA (the name escapes me at the moment). It doesn't happen as much anymore, an hasn't for years. I guess the towns got larger, the community spirit somewhat died and people gave up on those things.

SevenStars

Its not the music itself as such thats the problem....Its the stuff that goes with it.

SevenStars

I actually agree with the Imperialist Alliance Party that a big problem in the six counties (on both sides) is things that should be purely cultural become overly politicized.

I think they are right in saying that it would be a good idea to de-politicize culture on both sides.

Northern Voice

Its not the music itself as such thats the problem....Its the stuff that goes with it.
You mean like the chanting of IRA etc? I'm actually interested in this topic as I think Republicans are beginning to tap into the whole ideas of bands as a good way of portraying their message.

Cruimh

Frequently on this board people have used loyalist bands as a means of demeaning unionist culture in general. Saying it is not really culture at all, intimidation etc. In short, unionists are portrayed as the only people in the UK who wish to parade their culture with bands etc. Surely the video above shows that band culture is part of Republicanism as well as unionism? Whilst it may be in the earlier stages of development there seems to be more Republican bands knocking about these days - thus my question is as follows. Are Republicans becoming more interested in bands and the 'blood & thunder' genre in particular?
Long History mate - the green side also used Lambegs and it wasn't unknown for Orange and Green Bands to help each other out with instruments.

Material Conflicts: Parades and Visual Displays in Northern Ireland
by Neil Jarman
is worth a read.

Some of it is on CAIN

Scipio

Pipe bands are still a big part of Irish/Scottish culture (St. Laurence O'Toole from Dublin are the current world champions) and figure in a variety of parades throughout the year.

Flute bands are an altogether more rare occurrence, I'd guess it's because they're rubbish to listen to, to be frank.

picador

A lot of macho BS. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, etc.

Green eyed monster

I was surprised to discover that not just in NI, but in loyalist Scotland Orange Order marches are also a 'law and order' issue creating headaches for the police.

Police try to veto Forfar Orange march - The Scotsman

I would probably say that marching/parading with consistent public order and community-relations-problems associated..... is probably purely a Unionist phenomenon.

Schomberg

Pipe bands are still a big part of Irish/Scottish culture (St. Laurence O'Toole from Dublin are the current world champions) and figure in a variety of parades throughout the year.

Flute bands are an altogether more rare occurrence, I'd guess it's because they're rubbish to listen to, to be frank.
There's some shocking ones out there, but there's some flute bands that just look and sound the business. hairs on the back of neck stuff...

SevenStars

You mean like the chanting of IRA etc? I'm actually interested in this topic as I think Republicans are beginning to tap into the whole ideas of bands as a good way of portraying their message.
Whats weird is that tune they are playing seems to be a Unionist one...

YouTube - RabC - U.Y.M

Its interesting how both Republicans and Unionists rip off each others tunes.

picador

I actually agree with the Imperialist Alliance Party that a big problem in the six counties (on both sides) is things that should be purely cultural become overly politicized.

I think they are right in saying that it would be a good idea to de-politicize culture on both sides.
The unionist marching tradition is inherently political.

vinoboy

I was surprised to discover that not just in NI, but in loyalist Scotland Orange Order marches are also a 'law and order' issue creating headaches for the police.

Police try to veto Forfar Orange march - The Scotsman

I would probably say that marching/parading with consistent public order and community-relations-problems associated..... is probably purely a Unionist phenomenon.
Rubbish , republican marches in Scotland/England have long been regarded as offensive in much the same way the Celik poppy demo provoked understandable backlash from ordinary citizens.
Rebels think they can ape loyalist marching traditions to capture youth but they are amateurs and have no style whatsoeveras they have no tradition.The flute /fife loyalist tradition goes back 100 's of years .

picador

Rubbish , republican marches in Scotland/England have long been regarded as offensive in much the same way the Celik poppy demo provoked understandable backlash from ordinary citizens.
Rebels think they can ape loyalist marching traditions to capture youth but they are amateurs and have no style whatsoeveras they have no tradition.The flute /fife loyalist tradition goes back 100 's of years .
You are being very unfair to apes

eoghanacht

Love a bit of pipe and drum, it's when Loyalists decide to march through Nationalist areas problems arise.

YouTube - St Laurence O'Toole - World Champions 2010

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies