Marginalised minority accuse RTE of inciting hatred.

Sheeple_Waker

With the controversy surrounding Trump’s recent comments pertaining to the aesthetic qualities of certain overseas nations, many Irish people are no doubt relieved that such questionable attitudes are entirely alien to our political and cultural elites. Such a warm comforting certitude has been called into question however by a inappropriate comments made guests on the Late Late Show, who targeted a much-maligned minority with the encouragement of Ryan Tubridy. Refusing to remain at the back of the bus, however, are the men and women of the Dublin Cycling Campaign, who are bravely standing up to the ‘incitement of hatred towards cyclists’ committed by Maura Derrane and Eoin Colfer on the show. In an open letter they submitted as a complaint to the RTE complaints department, they identified no fewer than 5 instances where the programme incited hatred towards cyclists in a 90 second segment.

Plonkers

Bea C

I saw that panel discussion.
This springs to mind that Tony Benn quote of old re the Telegraph: to paraphrase, 'if they're speaking well of you then you know you're doing something wrong'.

Skin the Goat

Hard to know which is more idiotic.

People who take offence to "celebrities" filling time on the airways, or people taking offence to pople who take offence to "celebrities" filling time on the airways. :)

Spirit Of Newgrange

since i started to boycott RTE and BBC, i am far more happy. Now i shall get on my bike.

Dedogs

With the controversy surrounding Trump’s recent comments pertaining to the aesthetic qualities of certain overseas nations, many Irish people are no doubt relieved that such questionable attitudes are entirely alien to our political and cultural elites. Such a warm comforting certitude has been called into question however by a inappropriate comments made guests on the Late Late Show, who targeted a much-maligned minority with the encouragement of Ryan Tubridy. Refusing to remain at the back of the bus, however, are the men and women of the Dublin Cycling Campaign, who are bravely standing up to the ‘incitement of hatred towards cyclists’ committed by Maura Derrane and Eoin Colfer on the show. In an open letter they submitted as a complaint to the RTE complaints department, they identified no fewer than 5 instances where the programme incited hatred towards cyclists in a 90 second segment.

Plonkers
triggered!!!! :(:(;)

Equinox

In fairness RTE should have known better then to air that, there was a palpable gasp of 'oh no you didn't go there!' amongst the audience, because if there's one group more rabid, self-righteous and militant then the vegans it's the cycling lobby. You encur the wrath of that bunch of nutters at your own peril.

Half Nelson

I'm indignant, I am.
Join with me.

shoneen

Did the piece "spark outrage on social media". Frankly that's my only criteria for caring about anything nowadays. :)

The_SR

Did the piece "spark outrage on social media". Frankly that's my only criteria for caring about anything nowadays. :)
It did and it was a hoot. Nobody saw it or anything buy by God were they miffed.

The_SR

I'd prefer to see the Dublin Cycling Campaign make their complaint on the basis of fairness and objectivity. Sadly, the law makes that sort of complaint much harder to prove than a complaint based on incitement to hatred.

The new(ish) law on fairness in broadcasting is imo a fecking disaster.
Someone made an observation about bad road etiquette by cyclists. The rest is dry your eyes stuff

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Incredible. When I watched that piece I could see them visibly scared to say anything too untoward about cyclists. They were so fukking careful so as not to offend! I'd have loved someone to be on that panel and just say "cyclists deserve to be rounded up and executed" and give them something real to get excited about.

Pathetic w@ankers
There was nobody there actually defending cyclists, I assume, thus driving a horse and four through RTÉ's claims to balance and fairness.

A Voice

I live in a place which has literally been torn apart to put in cycle paths. Trees, bushes gone. 200-yr-old stone walls gone. Road width reduced. Works going on intermittently for 5 years now.

I better see a lot more cyclists out and about - on those paths, not on the road - or I'll be moderately angry.

tsarbomb

Marginalised minority?!?! Cyclists are one of the most privileged groups in the country. A group that clearly cannot take a joke.

eoghanacht

Is there anything to be said for a sponsored cycle?

*EPIC SUCCESS*

Why oh why do these A-holes insist on cycling on the road when there's an empty cycle path beside them?
While you are right about some cyclists just being dicks, there are a few cycle lanes near me and they are very much overgrown from the hedgerows and have a lot of loose, rotting leaves as well making they quite dangerous - it would be very easy to lose control of your bike and literally fall into oncoming traffic. Its not a simple black and white issue really.

I never really understood why some people get so animated by cyclists - the majority I encounter are fine, maybe 1 in 20, 30 or even 50 seems to have a chip on their shoulder but generally, I give way to the person who most likely to die from a collision.

(I only cycle for leisure and use cycle paths where possible and I also understand that no amount of laws, twitter rants or go pro cameras will be any use if a 40ft lorry bears down on me.)

New Threads

Most Replies