Marian Finucane RIP

Ireniall

Just heard this on the news. Personally I found she had a pleasant voice to listen to, regardless of the content, and I do think that alone was a large part of her longevity as a broadcaster.
She had a lot of common sense without being a genius-a kind of rounded intelligence. I never knew about the gra she had for Africa. Obviously a substantial person. She'll be missed -RIP

riker1969

She was pretty useless during the boom. Didn't put her neck out . Establishment figure and no doubt they will beat their chest in sorrow at her passing
She cheered on the boom. Result Mass emigration and increased suicides. She was not the major cause of this but she had a great opportunity to be the voice of reason. Instead she took the huge salary and said SFA
Im sorry for her family but not for Irish broadcasting

Last edited:

Dorris

Poor Marian, she's been on the radio as long as I've been listening to it. I listened to her in recent years mainly to give out about her & her guests but still enjoyed the show, I'll miss her.
That interview with Nuala O'Faoilean was the saddest thing. God rest her, RIP.
Interestingly enough, that interview with Nuala is now available in an edited version. At least one statement she made has been removed. Marian asked her about all the fat people in new York and she replied, "they're all losers". It was up for a long time and then they made it impossible to check the archive, because you could prove what people had said. When the Nuala interview appeared again, it was edited.

michael-mcivor

69 is not a big age these days- she and her family deserved more- but time waits on no one- we are all mortal at the end of the day at the end of time-

constitutionus

Ah christ this means we're gonna be stuck with brendan ó Connor doesn't it?

Being serious I'm shocked. Just found out off the ma now. I gave her flak and she sure as fk wasn't worth the money she got for 2 days work but at least she wasn't an SJW and had an ability to see shifts in society and politics others at rte refuse to by dint of ideology.
That gave her a level of cop on missing from many there, and her manner and tone was engaging for the audience. That's definitely in short supply. Certainly from her up and coming peers.

I won't be unduly maudlin but I will miss the aul codger.

RIP marion

effer

She had a lot of common sense without being a genius-a kind of rounded intelligence. I never knew about the gra she had for Africa. Obviously a substantial person. She'll be missed -RIP
You mean she obviously had a big booty?RIP Marion. I liked the sound of her voice too.

NYCKY

Some presenters like Marian have been around so long and on our radios and televisions for so many years that we sometimes feel like we know them. Speaking in our living rooms, our kitchens and our cars, we often hear more of them than we do of some family. She came across as sincere, genuine and not flashy. RIP.

Ireniall

Ah christ this means we're gonna be stuck with brendan ó Connor doesn't it?

Being serious I'm shocked. Just found out off the ma now. I gave her flak and she sure as fk wasn't worth the money she got for 2 days work but at least she wasn't an SJW and had an ability to see shifts in society and politics others at rte refuse to by dint of ideology.
That gave her a level of cop on missing from many there, and her manner and tone was engaging for the audience. That's definitely in short supply. Certainly from her up and coming peers.

I won't be unduly maudlin but I will miss the aul codger.

RIP marion
You're a soft oul git to be sure. No doubt you'll be cryin over O Connor when he shuffles off too. FFS even d'internet is losing its bite.

LISTOWEL MAN

Gay Byrne made an awful **** out of her

some journalist had written an article that RTE are sexist that no woman will ever sit in that seat in other words no woman will ever host the late late

Gay brought Marian out , she sat down , the audience applauded then she left and Gay went back to hosting the show.

He was replaced by pat kenny (a man) then kenny was replaced by ryan tubridy (a man)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom