Mário Soares, "father of Portuguese democracy", has died

GDPR

RTP 1 is doing fantastic coverage.

"Morreu o presidente de todos os portugueses".

This is going to be major - they have just said Soares was the only president for all the people.

Three days national mourning declared.

GDPR

Current president has just said "It wasnt important to him to always win."

Lots of below the skin stuff going on. :)

Beautiful folk song played which is actually about a girl who has been abandoned by her lover: Ninguem e como ele foi - No one was like him.

Its quite lovely, really.

GDPR

Remembering Maria Barroso - bless her. His wife - she died a few years back.

"She held him in her hand-bag".

So sweet.

iago1709

'Of all the "Authoritarian Conservative" regimes the one of Professor Salazar was the most just and healthy.'
Go pay a visit to the Museu do Aljube, near the Sé or Cathedral in Lisbon, where the PIDE used to torture opponents of the regime, and I think afterwards that statement of yours will ring a little hollow.

truthisfree

Telly quoting Soares on social solidarity now.

"Who are these dwarfs who want to want to rule us? States are not built on money but on their people, the strength of the bonds between them and their shared history. Portugal is not a poor country - it is a rich one."
I share that sentiment.

O

Oscurito

The Ceann Comhairle welcomes President Soares on an official visit to Ireland on June 1st, 1993.
Before proceeding further, I feel sure that the Members of this House will wish to join with me in welcoming the President of the Portuguese Republic, Dr. Mario Soares, and his charming wife. It is our ardent hope that their visit to Ireland will be happy and successful and I bid them a most hearty céad míle fáilte, a hundred thousand welcomes. I wish to welcome also certain members of his entourage, HE The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Dr. José Manuel Durao Barroso, HE The Ambassador of Portugal to Ireland, Dr. Luís Pazos Alonso and Mrs. Alonso; the Vice-President of the Parliament of Portugal, Dr. Leonor Beleza and the President of the Portuguese-Irish Parliamentary Group, Dr. Edite Estrela. Dáil Éireann salutes you and through you the grand people of Portugal, whom you so nobly represent.

Dáil Éireann - 01/Jun/1993 Visit by the President of the Portuguese Republic.

O

Oscurito

It seems that Garrett Fitzgerald had a very good working relationship with Mario Soares. This is from his memoirs, "Just Garret: Tales From the Political Front Line".

GDPR

I share that sentiment.

I think Portugal showed the world how a Revolution can be conducted
by a people who despite extreme brutality never lost their humanity.

The General who was still loyal to Caetano refused to surrender to anyone of lower rank, so the young Captains asked another General who was retired and had nothing to do with the coup, if he would mind stepping in. They asked him politely.

He replied "Personal and national honour requires that. Even when we know that he (meaning the other general) has none, we must act as we mean to go on. Stand up straight and dont let ourselves down."

General Urko

Portugese tend to be very respectful, polite people and very likeable!

GDPR

Soares grand-daughter just posted his police mug-shot from 1967 on her FB page.

That was before the PIDE kicked him so hard he lost a kidney.

I love the totally Portuguese expression. Whether its being tortured by Fascists or standing in a very long queue at the supermarket, patience, patience.

RodShaft

Finally a topic on which you don't have to cut and paste, Eagle.

I know you'll despise me saying this, but my comment is genuine; it's been a pleasure reading your posts on this thread.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies