• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mario Vargas Llosa's Latest Novel ... About Roger Casement

picador

The recently announced Nobel Laureate's latest novel El Sueño del Celta (The Dream of the Celt) is out next month. It is based on the life of Roger Casement, who once visited Vargas Llosa's native Péru to investigate conditions in the rubber industry.

Vargas Llosa is truly one of the greats. His 2000 novel La Fiesta del Chivo about the late Dominican dictator Rafael Trujillo is simply superb. I really look forward to reading his latest offering.

In this interview Vargas Llosa talks to historian Angus Mitchell about his interest in Casement

Last edited:

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com

picador

it is, and I mean to read at least one of his translations.

not sure how "Celtic" Roger Casement was though....
Celtic enough for Vargas Llosa at any rate. The novel starts in Pentonville Prison with Casement awaiting word on an appeal for clemency. Expecting a vist from his solicitor, Gavan Duffy, Casement finds instead Duffy's digusted young assistant. The reason for the digust- the British have discovered a set of diaries, the contents of which arethe talk of London. This may prejudice Casement's appeal!

Celtic enough for Vargas Llosa at any rate. The novel starts in Pentonville Prison with Casement awaiting word on an appeal for clemency. Expecting a vist from his solicitor, Gavan Duffy, Casement finds instead Duffy's digusted young assistant. The reason for the digust- the British have discovered a set of diaries, the contents of which arethe talk of London. This may prejudice Casement's appeal!
I could never get to grips with this story of Casement's diaries. (1) were they forged and (2) had Roger already been condemned to death before they miraculously came to light?

splashy

I could never get to grips with this story of Casement's diaries. (1) were they forged and (2) had Roger already been condemned to death before they miraculously came to light?
I believe the consensus is that the documents are genuine, though much of the content fantastical.

The documents surfaced after sentencing but amidst a strong, public call for leniency.

I shall read the novel if the reviews are good, but I hope he acts the diligent scholar. It irks me when foreign writers take a superficial view of Irish history, even if it is only the basis for a novel.

EDIT: Here's a short interview with the U-Boat captain (about half way down; use realplayer):http://www.rte.ie/laweb/ll/ll_t06_other_a.html

Last edited:
I believe the consensus is that the documents are genuine, though much of the content fantastical.

The documents surfaced after sentencing but amidst a strong, public call for leniency.

I shall read the novel if the reviews are good, but I hope he acts the diligent scholar. It irks me when foreign writers take a superficial view of Irish history, even if it is only the basis for a novel.
Thanks splashy. I think of Roger Casement nearly everyday because of that song, you know Banna Strand. Everytime I turn my telly on I get "No signal" and I'm off, singing, "no signal answers from the shore, Sir Roger sadly said."

picador

I know that I am not Irish so probably in my novel Irish people will find many things that they do not recognise, but I hope the novel overall will justify the inaccuracies.
Worth reading the interview with Mitchell in full (see OP)

picador

Thanks splashy. I think of Roger Casement nearly everyday because of that song, you know Banna Strand. Everytime I turn my telly on I get "No signal" and I'm off, singing, "no signal answers from the shore, Sir Roger sadly said."
Ah, Banna Strand - a classic of the genre!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7H5aB5tePo]YouTube - The Lonely Banna Strand - (The Ballad Of Roger Casement)[/ame]

Ah Picador,

I'm sitting here bawling now. What a lovely looking man he was. Arghh! I'll treasure this tribute to Roger. Thank you so very much.

Cael

Celtic enough for Vargas Llosa at any rate.
Im afraid Llosa is not known for his historical accuracy. I feel a sense of dread that this novel is going to be a farce. The last thing the memory of Casement needed was a right wing extremist grabbing hold of it.

Catalpa

EDIT: Here's a short interview with the U-Boat captain (about half way down; use realplayer):RTÉ Libraries and Archives: preserving a unique record of Irish life.
The day they buried Casement out in Glasnevin we got a half day from School.

IIRC it was a cold bleak day with sleet/snow showers either that morning or the night before.

A Noble and Tragic figure.

PS Dev gave a brilliant Oration at the graveside.