Marital breakdown and the recession.

davidcameron

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-mum-recalls-familys-nightmare-12058975

Carly Bailey, the vice-chairperson of the Social Democrats, described the nightmare she and her family went through after their mortgage was sold to a vulture fund.

She and her husband, Brian, who is a former construction worker, owned a house in Co Cavan, where she is from.

She said:
My husband was made redundant first of all in 2008 and pretty much any time he was able to get work then after that pretty much all the companies he worked for folded.
She also said:

Myself and Brian have been very fortunate, we’ve stayed together and overcome mental health stuff. But a lot of families are torn apart.
How exactly would a husband's redundancy lead to the breakdown of his marriage?

Why would the wife blame the husband for something that was beyond his control?

Sync

The wife didn’t say she blamed the husband. The article didn’t imply she did. You’ve made it up.

davidcameron

The wife didn’t say she blamed the husband. The article didn’t imply she did. You’ve made it up.
My questions did not refer to her marriage. They referred to marital breakdown in general. Bear in mind that I said, "a husband", not "her husband".

making waves

My questions did not refer to her marriage. They referred to marital breakdown in general. Bear in mind that I said, "a husband", not "her husband".
Do you not think that a dramatic collapse in the income of a family (which financial commitments are made on) would not cause people to suffer from mental health issues and cause difficulties within a relationship ?

petaljam

Yes you literally are making it up.
Many long term unemployed people become depressed. Depressed people are far more likely to suffer broken relationships.
I don't think anyone is blaming a depressed person for their depression when that happens though do you?

Not to mention that if you can't see how financial stress and related anxiety can put strains on a relationship I can only assume you have never been in a relationship long enough to experience the normal ups and downs that are part of life.

Sync

The bulk of your OP is dedicated to their single story. You’re clearly ascribing the questions to their situation. Tbh a more productive use of your time would be spent asking yourself what inside you made you read that article and think she was blaming her husband.

. Or if you want to pursue the fiction that it was a “general” point: what in the article made you think wives are blaming their husbands? What in the article made you think only men would be the bread earners?

You’re transferring quite a bit of your own mindset in the 2 questions you asked.

Socratus O' Pericles

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irish-mum-recalls-familys-nightmare-12058975

Carly Bailey, the vice-chairperson of the Social Democrats, described the nightmare she and her family went through after their mortgage was sold to a vulture fund.

She and her husband, Brian, who is a former construction worker, owned a house in Co Cavan, where she is from.

She said:

She also said:

Because she is a man hating femenazi and a baby killer to boot .

davidcameron

The bulk of your OP is dedicated to their single story. You’re clearly ascribing the questions to their situation. Tbh a more productive use of your time would be spent asking yourself what inside you made you read that article and think she was blaming her husband.

. Or if you want to pursue the fiction that it was a “general” point: what in the article made you think wives are blaming their husbands? What in the article made you think only men would be the bread earners?

You’re transferring quite a bit of your own mindset in the 2 questions you asked.
I was merely mentioning her story so that I could quote what she said about the issue of families being torn apart.

I used the word "would".

You're being disingenuous.

Pizza Man

The linked article is a long whinge by a wannabe politician from one of the sh1tehawking parties - it's pure arsewipeing material, best summarised as follows: "I can't afford to pay my mortgage so I want to be elected to the Dáil so I can legislate to get the rest of youse to pay it for me."

Why any self-respecting p.ie poster would even read such tripe in the Irish Mirror beggars belief.

davidcameron

The linked article is a long whinge by a wannabe politician from one of the sh1tehawking parties - it's pure arsewipeing material. "I can't afford to pay my mortgage so I want the rest of youse to pay it for me."

Why any self-respecting p.ie poster would even read the Irish Mirror beggars belief.
That's not what she was saying.

devoutcapitalist

The linked article is a long whinge by a wannabe politician from one of the sh1tehawking parties - it's pure arsewipeing material. "I can't afford to pay my mortgage so I want the rest of youse to pay it for me."

Why any self-respecting p.ie poster would even read the Irish Mirror beggars belief.
Indeed what sort of repayments was she proposing, Ireland is a great country in which to fall into mortgage arrears.

davidcameron

Yes you literally are making it up.
Many long term unemployed people become depressed. Depressed people are far more likely to suffer broken relationships.
I don't think anyone is blaming a depressed person for their depression when that happens though do you?

Not to mention that if you can't see how financial stress and related anxiety can put strains on a relationship I can only assume you have never been in a relationship long enough to experience the normal ups and downs that are part of life.
Presumably, "strains in a relationship" means one spouse blaming the other for being made redundant.

milipod

She said:

She also said:

Wha?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies