• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

McSlaggart

The centenary is an opportunity to celebrate the people, places and products of Northern Ireland, which has such rich sporting, cultural, entrepreneurial and academic talent. It is an occasion to promote Northern Ireland as an attractive place to visit, invest and do business - a place where our young people choose to stay and use their talent to build.

As part of the New Decade, New Approach deal, the UK Government committed to working alongside the NI Executive to mark the centenary of Northern Ireland in 2021 - today’s announcement is an important step towards realising this commitment, and delivering national recognition and international awareness of this important anniversary.

I think everyone should participate fully in the marking of the history of northern Ireland. The UK government appear to have left out a lot of things that need to be remembered at this moment in time. In fact it appears to be a list of things without any mention of any historical events. Which is odd as Boris education is all "Greek". Remember the important words of "Churchill “A nation that forgets its past has no future”.

Glaucon

Why would any Nationalist or Republican want to "celebrate" a date of humiliation and shame: the Irish al-Nakbah when our enemies tore our country asunder and divided us? Have you gone quite mad?

McSlaggart

Why would any Nationalist or Republican want to "celebrate" a date of humiliation and shame: the Irish al-Nakbah when our enemies tore our country asunder and divided us? Have you gone quite mad?

I think nationalists need to get their hands on whatever funds are available and use them to enhance their areas. Spend lots of money on the aspects of the state that Unionism may choose to forget occurred.

Glaucon

McSlaggart, wringing money out of the British taxpayer is perfectly fine (a fool and his money are easily parted, as the King James Bible tells us). Nevertheless, you say:

I think everyone should participate fully in the marking of the history of northern Ireland.
Why would any Nationalist participate in the commemoration of the Government of Ireland Act, 1920 and/or Northern Ireland's opting out of the Free State during the Ulster month in 1922?

McSlaggart

McSlaggart, wringing money out of the British taxpayer is perfectly fine (a fool and his money are easily parted, as the King James Bible tells us). Nevertheless, you say:

Why would any Nationalist participate in the commemoration of the Government of Ireland Act, 1920 and/or Northern Ireland's opting out of the Free State during the Ulster month in 1922?
Discrimination in
  • jobs

• housing,

• Gerrymandering

• sectarian policing

• B Specials activities should be fully addressed

• Internment !!
Why would nationalists let all the funds go to actives which pretend that such things did not occurred?

neiphin

Why would nationalists let all the funds go to actives which pretend that such things did not occurred?
I agree with you 100%

should/will nationalism ignore Whatever is planned?
is unionism in a place to listen to nationalist history of their experience?

McSlaggart

I agree with you 100%

should/will nationalism ignore Whatever is planned?
is unionism in a place to listen to nationalist history of their experience?

Most of what Unionism will do will be so boring ie parades and then more parades. They will then do a pile of Scottish things on stage. Then some Tyrone Not quite Heany poems from Tyrone (Which I like as I am from Tyrone)

Me An' Me Da

I'm livin' in Drumlister,
An' I'm gettin very oul',
I have to wear an Indian bag
To save me from the coul'.
The deil a man in this townlan'
Wos claner raired nor me,
But I'm livin' in Drumlister
In clabber to the knee.

Me da lived up in Carmin,
An' kep' a sarvint boy;
His second wife wos very sharp,
He birried her with joy:
Now she wos thin, her name was Flynn,
She come from Cullentra,
An' if me shirt's a clatty shirt
The man to blame's me da.

Consarnin' weemin, sure it wos
A constant word of his,
`Keep far away from them that's thin,
Their temper's aisy riz.'
Well, I knowed two I thought wud do,
But still I had me fears,
So I kiffled back an' forrit
Between the two, for years.

Wee Margit had no fortune
But two rosy cheeks wud plaze;
The farm of lan' wos Bridget's,
But she tuk the pock disayse:
An' Margit she wos very wee,
An' Bridget she wos stout
But her face wos like a gaol dure
With the boults pulled out.

I'll tell no lie on Margit,
She thought the worl' of me;
I'll tell the truth, me heart wud lep
The sight of her to see
But I wos slow, ye surely know,
The raison of it now,
If I left her home from Carmin
Me da wud rise a row.

So I swithered back an' forrit
Till Margit got a man;
A fella come from Mullaslin
An' left me jist the wan.
I mind the day she went away,
I hid wan strucken hour,
An' cursed the wasp from Cullentra
That made me da so sour.

But cryin' cures no trouble,
To Bridget I went back,
An' faced her for it that night week
Beside her own turf-stack.
I axed her there, an' spoke her fair,
The handy wife she d make me,
I talked about the lan' that joined
- Begob, she wudn't take me!

So I'm livin' in Drumlister
An' I'm get'tin' very oul'
I creep to Carmin wanst a month
To thry an' make me sowl:
The deil a man in this townlan'
Wos claner raired nor me,
An' I'm dyin' in Drumlister
In clabber to the knee.

By "The Bard of Tyrone"
The Reverend William Marshall

between the bridges

Right ladies, a wan time offer of mates rates on yer celebration flegs... yer lampost looking tired we have the cure...

IMG-20200320-WA0001_250x250@2x.jpg

neiphin

Sidewindered

Discrimination in
  • jobs

• housing,

• Gerrymandering

• sectarian policing

• Internment !!

Not to mention the fact that at Partition it was the most industrialised and wealthy part of the island but Unionism ran that economy into the ground by the mid-50s and it has been on life support ever since.

Sure, let's tell the whole history of NornIrn not some delusional Flegger pseudo-history

Dame_Enda

They should hold it in the Mountains of Mourne, as its name is well suited to such a sad mistake.

between the bridges

Sure, let's tell the whole history of NornIrn not some delusional Flegger pseudo-history
Indeed Sid, the celebrations must be inter communal, moi suggests commemorating the Ra's collaboration with the Nazi's and the B-mens beatch slapping of the border campaign...

Angler

Indeed Sid, the celebrations must be inter communal, moi suggests commemorating the Ra's collaboration with the Nazi's and the B-mens beatch slapping of the border campaign...
Don't forget the "Unionist " importations of weaponry from the Proto-Nazis of Imperial Germany and the Crypto-Nazis of more recent times :oops: .

Glaucon

Discrimination in
  • jobs

• housing,

• Gerrymandering

• sectarian policing

• Internment !!
That's taught in every history faculty around the world that covers Irish history. Aside from right-wing Ulster Unionism, no-one seriously contests the reality of discrimination, gerrymandering and the basis for the Civil Rights campaign. The battle on that front was won long ago.

The centenary of Northern Ireland will be a commemoration and a celebration. For Unionists, it makes perfect sense to do this. Northern Ireland is an entity created for them to minister to their interests. Despite the changes brought about since the collapse of Stormont in 1972, a centenary commemoration of "Northern Ireland" contains nothing whatever for Nationalists and Republicans other than the opportunity to denounce the fact that it ever came into existence at all, which Michelle O'Neill (despite her very many glaring faults, along with those of her party) did adequately well yesterday.

between the bridges

Don't forget the "Unionist " importations of weaponry from the Proto-Nazis of Imperial Germany and the Crypto-Nazis of more recent times :oops: .
FARC off....

between the bridges

That's taught in every history faculty around the world that covers Irish history. Aside from right-wing Ulster Unionism, no-one seriously contests the reality of discrimination, gerrymandering and the basis for the Civil Rights campaign. The battle on that front was won long ago.

The centenary of Northern Ireland will be a commemoration and a celebration. For Unionists, it makes perfect sense to do this. Northern Ireland is an entity created for them to minister to their interests. Despite the changes brought about since the collapse of Stormont in 1972, a centenary commemoration of "Northern Ireland" contains nothing whatever for Nationalists and Republicans other than the opportunity to denounce the fact that it ever came into existence at all, which Michelle O'Neill (despite her very many glaring faults, along with those of her party) did adequately well yesterday.
Yawn, thon nationalist community does more crying than a nursery school after being told Santa shot Rudolph...

crybaby.jpg

shutuplaura

From how this thread is going I reckon the celebration is going to be great craic.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom