• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Marly lites or Johnny Blue - is Ireland the World's only "Class Distinction by Smoke" Destination?

Dublin 4

Marly lites or Johnny Blue - is Ireland the World's only "Class Distinction by Smoke" Destination?

Why do so many White Collar Workers smoke Marlborough Lights & so many Blue Collar Workers smoke John Player Blue?

Has anyone noticed any change in trends since the Financial Crisis?

With so many fatalities from smoking, why do so many smokers feel there is something upmarket about a particular brand?

Is there a similar trait in other Countries?

Last edited by a moderator:

tokkie

Why do so many White Collar Workers smoke Marlborough Lights & so many Blue Collar Workers smoke John Player Blue?

Has anyone noticed any change in the trends since the Financial Crisis?

With so many fatalities from smoking, why do so many smokers feel there is something upmarket about a particular brand?

Is their a similar trait in other Countries?
I've seen this type of distinction in England aswell. Dunhills were smoked by a particular demographic.

Dublin 4

Dunhills - Blue collar or White collar?

tokkie

What brands & is it as obvious?
Dunhills was one brand. Another was Lambert and Butler. The latter were so rank that even students would not smoke them. I can't remember what white collar workers smoked but I do recall the brands I named as belonging to your blue collar worker.

Socratus O' Pericles

Here's the inimitable David Sedaris on the subject:
“Kools and Newports were for black people and lower-class whites. Camels were for procrastinators, those who wrote bad poetry, and those who put off writing bad poetry. Merits were for sex addicts, Salems were for alcoholics, and Mores were for people who considered themselves to be outrageous but really weren't.”
― David Sedaris, When You Are Engulfed in Flames

I smoke Camel myself- but do not write poetry!!

Dublin 4

Dunhills was one brand. Another was Lambert and Butler. The latter were so rank that even students would not smoke them. I can't remember what white collar workers smoked but I do recall the brands I named as belonging to your blue collar worker.
Thanks tok - that's England for Blue collar.

I wonder if there is anymore?

Johnny

As a side note, two more rotten brands of cigarettes you will rarely find.

This was my own brand until I gave up some 11 years ago. In a word, class:

tigerben

My nan had a woodbine going constantly , and my grandad always had Major. As a non smoker I couldn't tell you what brands are there now.

Ribeye

I smoke ML's coz I think they're the nicest, JPB's are way to strong,

I only really smoke when I'm drinkin, otherwise I'm not pushed,

And those new pictures on the packets are really annoying, they're horrible, they won't make me not want to smoke in the slightest, they just sit there on the table lookin disgusting,

Stupid govt,

asset test

My late father smoked Major.

Then moved on to Rothmans.

He was a company director, so what category for him?

Deep Blue

My Dad's brand for years, where I first met Rabbie Burns:

"Flow gently Sweet Afton among thy green braes,
Flow gently, I'll sing thee a song in thy praise"

Mine, without the classy poetry:

So, what's my demographic? A,B,C1, or Z:roll:

Popular Threads

Most Replies