Marriage Bill 2015

MjrMarv

The Marriage Bill 2015, the bill giving effect to the Marriage Equality Referendum, was agreed by the Cabinet today and will be published tomorrow. Minister Fitzgerald says she will introduce the Bill to the Dáil when it reconvenes next week.

The main provisions of the Bill are:
-The statutory bar on marriages between people of the same sex in the Civil Registration Act 2004 will be repealed.
-Couples already in a civil partnership won't have to undergo a separate dissolution process in order to marry; their civil partnership will be considered dissolved when they marry
-Couples who have already given notice to enter a civil partnership can convert that to a notice to marry if they wish.
-In general, civil partnership will be closed to new entrants. There will be no change to couples already in a civil partnership and wish to remain so. Similarly, those who are serving notice to enter a civil partnership at the time the Act is commenced can proceed with the civil partnership if they so wish.
-There will be specific provision confirming that a religious body or solemniser can't be compelled to carry out marriages that aren't recognised by their religious body. This isn't legally necessary, as religious solemnisers and bodies can already refuse to marry any couple, but on the other hand it's one less thing for Mullen to crib about, so it's worth it.
-Foreign marriages between same sex couples will be recognised under Irish law as marriages.
-The process of marrying remains unchanged.

Full info here: Minister Fitzgerald publishes Marriage Bill 2015 - The Department of Justice and Equality

ger12

Great .... Do we really need another thread for it though?

Mercurial

Couples who have already given notice to enter a civil partnership can convert that to a notice to marry if they wish.
Doesn't that mean that we could have the first same-sex marriages pretty much as soon as the bill is passed? (Assuming that there are people who gave notice about three months ago)

MjrMarv

I didn't see a thread where the topic would naturally fit, particularly if there's a discussion about specific details in the Bill. But I've no problems with the thread being merged if the mods think otherwise.

Doesn't that mean that we could have the first same-sex marriages pretty much as soon as the bill is passed? (Assuming that there are people who gave notice about three months ago)
That's my reading too. Depending on the specific process set out in the Act (if there is one), then there's no reason the first marriage couldn't be a few days after the Act commences.

Strawberry

Weren't we supposed to be hit by an asteroid some time this month as God's revenge for gay marriage?

Polybius

Why did we need yet another gay thread? The gays are so egotistical. They care about nothing but their own agenda.

Strawberry

Why did we need yet another gay thread? The gays are so egotistical. They care about nothing but their own agenda.
You can't get enough of them. Every gay thread, you're right in there, you even drag them into threads which have nothing to do with the gay.

livingstone

It depends on what the commencement processes in the Bill are - it wouldn't be unusual to have a period for registration bodies to transition to the new provisions. But I don't expect that would need to be a long period.

Roll_On

Yet commentary is not compulsory, funny that. We know your opinion, you hate the gays, fine have you anything else to contribute?

cogar

Great news. I expect that this Bill will pass all stages with due haste and regard and that the naysayers will recognise the democratic mandate the Bill has and not impede its passage when the people have had their say.

Ren84

You know, it's said those who go on and on about da gayz like yourself are really just closeted homosexuals. Do you secretly yearn for a bit of willy? petunia

MjrMarv

Great news. I expect that this Bill will pass all stages with due haste and regard and that the naysayers will recognise the democratic mandate the Bill has and not impede its passage when the people have had their say.
I wouldn't hold my breath on that second part. Mullen and Walsh will almost certainly do their best to delay implementation as much as they can.

Ren84

There'll be a few FF/FG backwoodsmen attempting to subvert democracy so let's Mehole and Enda do the right thing and suspend those voting against this bill. SF showed leadership when it suspends Tobin, can the other parties do likewise?

cogar

BTW the SC dismissed today any leave to appeal by the duo that delayed the process.

Cato

It will pass through all stages in the Dáíl without a vote being forced. It may get delayed for a short while in the Seanad but pass it will.

cogar

There'll be a few FF/FG backwoodsmen attempting to subvert democracy so let's Mehole and Enda do the right thing and suspend those voting against this bill. SF showed leadership when it suspends Tobin, can the othet parties do likewise?
No cheap point scoring - the debate is over and without the support of FG there would never have been a referendum in the first place. Be magnanimous in victory and acknowledge the progress made. That support will be needed to amend the 8th Amendment to the Constitution. The Marriage Bill will be passed in jig time with all party support.

D

Deleted member 17573

You ain't seen nothing yet. We will have a thread for the first gay marriage, another for the first lesbian marriage, then another for the first adoption, one for the first surrogacy, then one for the first divorce, and of course the pinnacle of outrage will be reached when some church refuses a gay marriage, and on and on.........and on:rolleyes:

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom