Mars

Black Swan

I don't know where else to put this, in the absence of a search function.

But have a look at the night sky and see if you can find a rather bright reddish looking star.

That is Mars approaching opposition, check it out.

I'm too lazy to provide links, so Google it if you're interested.

In Western Australia currently, Venus and Mars are the brightest astronomical bodies in the Western and Eastern skies respectively.

Mars will be getting bigger and brighter until the end of the month.

Morgellons

Is this a good thing, or will Tayto still be small next year?

raetsel

There are some great phone apps for identifying planets and stars in the night sky available free. Sky Map is good.

Alphonse

It is very noticeable in the sky (a bit South Easterly) Mars has also gone into a retrograde very recently which will last about two months.

Fritzbox

Is this a good thing, or will Tayto still be small next year?
Are they made from potatoes from Matt Damon's Martian potato farm? The answer is yes.

raetsel

There are some great phone apps for identifying planets and stars in the night sky available free. Sky Map is good.
Another phone app, Sky View, indicates that Mars will arise over the horizon tonight in the east at around 23:40 but won't be visible for most people for another hour or two because of the trajectory unless you're in a very flat area.

milipod

I believe the Scots like it deep fried.

storybud1

a million miles an hour propulsion would still take 2 days ?

speed of light ? 3 minutes roughly,

if light can move at this speed through space there is hope,,

sure lightening is 10 times slower than the speed of light ?

speed of lightening to Mars, half an hour ? I could live with that,,

yep, that is the mountain to climb for future generations or some AI programme,,

GabhaDubh

As our bone density disintegrates at a accelerated pace in space, couple with particle bombardment with no Earth protection, after 9 months travel time one way, it is conceivable we would be the Official Aliens.

Dame_Enda

Mars in opposition in 2016.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Never worry about the opposition. Play your own game.

O'Quisling

. . . . .

Then that's the tripods on their way.

Well, I for one welcome our new Martian overlords.

(They couldn't fúck the planet up much worse than us vain chimpanzees).

If they'll be looking for a Quisling to run the place for them I'm their man.

On Martian invasions. . . . I'm reading Stephen Baxter's sequel to HG Wells' The War of the Worlds at the mo. The Massacre of Mankind. 'Tis worth a read. Rather ominous given the current Mars planetary opposition, and all.
:shock2:

Dorcha

I noticed this all right because my sister figures it's a satellite spying on people burning rubbish. I thought it might be Mars, but I couldn't say for certain because Mars is usually much fainter. Thanks for the confirmation. Now to confound my sister!

Telstar 62

As we are on matters 'space'......

An Israeli non-profit organisation has announced plans to send the first privately-funded unmanned spacecraft to the Moon later this year.

SpaceIL said the probe would be launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida, in December on a Falcon 9 rocket built by Elon Musk's SpaceX company.

It is expected to land on the Moon in February 2019.

The spacecraft will plant an Israeli flag on the Moon's surface and carry out research into its magnetic field.

gerhard dengler

I don't know where else to put this, in the absence of a search function.

But have a look at the night sky and see if you can find a rather bright reddish looking star.

I'm too lazy to provide links, so Google it if you're interested.

In Western Australia currently, Venus and Mars are the brightest astronomical bodies in the Western and Eastern skies respectively.

I did notice Mars the other night in the south east sky at about 22.00hrs the other night.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/night/

Ramon Mercadar

Did NASA kill Life On Mars?

NASA May Have Discovered and Then Destroyed Organics on Mars in 1976

Over 40 years ago, a NASA mission may have accidentally destroyed what would have been the first discovery of organic molecules on Mars, according to a report from New Scientist.

Recently, NASA caused quite a commotion when it announced that its Curiosity rover discovered organic molecules — which make up life as we know it — on Mars. This followed the first confirmation of organic molecules on Mars in 2014. But because small, carbon-rich meteorites so frequently pelt the Red Planet, scientists have suspected for decades that organics exist on Mars. But researchers were stunned in 1976, when NASA sent two Viking landers to Mars to search for organics for the first time and found absolutely none.

Scientists didn't know what to make of the Viking findings — how could there be no organics on Mars? "It was just completely unexpected and inconsistent with what we knew," Chris McKay, a planetary scientist at NASA's Ames Research Center, told New Scientist. [Viking 1: The Historic First Mars Landing in Pictures]

https://www.space.com/41140-mars-lander-may-have-burned-organics.html

New Threads

Most Replies