• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Martin Cullen has cut funding to two Writer's Centres.

Christine Murray

Website
www.poethead.wordpress.com
REINSTATE WESTERN WRITERS' CENTRE FUNDING Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]
This is the petition link to the Western Writer's Centre petition which is currently
being circulated.

The IWC in Parnell Square is also receiving zero funding for the 2008-2009
Period:

irish writers centre

The Arts Act 2003, which ties the Arts (which should remain independent of
Government interferences) is a case study in how the minister utilises his
powers. it was introduced by John O Donoghue and as I have stated here
before it ties the Government too closely to the development of Arts
for only the second time since the Foundation of the State :

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2003/a242003.pdf

I have also mentioned this on another thread and in the Poetry Ireland Forum
in relation to the neutral cultivation of the Arts. My Opinion of Cullen hit
an all time low with his abolition of Duchás in 2003, which allowed for
untold damage to Heritage Policy and was indicated from the first in
the moving of Portfolios at the inception of the last but one Government
of Bertie Ahern. Cullen's choosing of personnel for the Arts Council was
appalling anyhow. Will Put the list in here later.

Last edited:

smitchy2

Cullen should be asked how much of the irish horse and greyhound fund will be cut this year.
It is an industry that can be funded itself but has been subsidises for years under FF.

Christine Murray

Website
Last edited:

Clanrickard

Good. Writers earn tax free. They, or any other artist should get not one red cent from the tax payer. Let people who like the arts pay for them out of their own pocket not out of mine.

Twilight

I suppose this belongs in Health but it has its place here as well, I hope you agree.

I attend as a volunteer teacher to people who are in the mental health secure units and those who attend but have been released into the community. It was very successful. We printed two books and several newspapers over the last 5 years. The books contain either fact or fiction stories, I don't care. Some of the stories are brilliant.

You've guessed it. Its been closed down. Thats not right and its not fair. The people were getting more and more interested in general things and not just their health and now they have nothing. My heart is broken for them,

Clanrickard

I don't get tax free anything.

Cullen has no right to be in charge of a Department and I will keep saying this.
There's been too much revolving chairs over the years.
If you are a writer you are not taxed. If you are aan artist you are not taxed. If you are a musician you are not taxed. Yet they still want hand outs. Well they can F off as far as I am concerned.

Christine Murray

Website
I am a writer who is involved in tutoring and literacy. I really want to know how
C Ahern got the exemption btw. There is a lot more to working than simply making
hard cash also. What Cullen has accomplished in terms of culling programmes
for literacy and the unglamourous side of just getting on with writing would be the
envy of Mao.

corelli

If you are a writer you are not taxed. If you are aan artist you are not taxed. If you are a musician you are not taxed. Yet they still want hand outs. Well they can F off as far as I am concerned.
I am going to, possibly, change a habit of years standing and agree with Clan on this one. If, as an artist, you benefit from tax free status is this not just a Government grant for somewhere to hang out and "practice your craft". Sounds strange to my ears.
Additionally, was there not a piece in the paper recently questioning how the funding was spent in these centre. The point being that for 4 members of staff the wage bill was astronomical with the Director of one of them on a serious salary.

Christine Murray

Website
These centres are about literacy and not all of the writers are actually involved
in exemption schemes. They are involved In Cúirt, literacy, education in schools
and other such projects. Cullen knows this and to my eternal shame I cannot believe
that Colm Toibín is part of that board.

The writers centres are spaces for Arts development and a minor % would be
exempted.

corelli

These centres are about literacy and not all of the writers are actually involved
in exemption schemes. They are involved In Cúirt, literacy, education in schools
and other such projects. Cullen knows this and to my eternal shame I cannot believe
that Colm Toibín is part of that board.

The writers centres are spaces for Arts development and a minor % would be
exempted.
I think, though I can see your point, that "artists centres" will get little sympathy when faced with bed closures in Hospitals. It is a sad but true fact that priorities will have to adhered to.

meriwether2

Good. Writers earn tax free. They, or any other artist should get not one red cent from the tax payer. Let people who like the arts pay for them out of their own pocket not out of mine.
There's a recession.

Health and education is priority over everything, certainly including this.

garlandgreen

A culture and a society survives on the quality of it's art and writing. It's all too easy to pick on it as an easy target in times of trouble. It's an easy temptation to try and save money by taking it away from what is seen as something non-essential. I've revealed on another thread that I'm a civil servant. And that I'm willing to agree to a pay cut. This is one of the reasons. I don't know if I can write but I do read for pleasure. I'm obviously a well known atheist around these parts but I can certainly still conceptualise something like a soul. And that art, literature and poetry are it's lifeblood.

Christine Murray

Website
Funny that the man funds other concerns in the Arts and co-opts wealthy unqualified
ladies to do jobs that they are manifestly unqualified for. He exhibits a lack of
coordination on issues of Heritage and Arts that is indicative of FF other interests.

( His work on both the NMA(2004) and the abolition of Duchás (2003) would attest to that.)

corelli

A culture and a society survives on the quality of it's art and writing. It's all too easy to pick on it as an easy target in times of trouble. It's an easy temptation to try and save money by taking it away from what is seen as something non-essential. I've revealed on another thread that I'm a civil servant. And that I'm willing to agree to a pay cut. This is one of the reasons. I don't know if I can write but I do read for pleasure. I'm obviously a well known atheist around these parts but I can certainly still conceptualise something like a soul. And that art, literature and poetry are it's lifeblood.
Well, without being trite, did Behan, Joyce etc etc have a tax exemption for their work and a nice writers centre all at Government expense. It's a simplistic argument but difficult to contradict. Are these centers really justified in times of such economic struggle?

We spend millions annually on such things, and other less deserving, and have no national opera, house or company.

garlandgreen

Well, without being trite, did Behan, Joyce etc etc have a tax exemption for their work and a nice writers centre all at Government expense. It's a simplistic argument but difficult to contradict. Are these centers really justified in times of such economic struggle?

We spend millions annually on such things, and other less deserving, and have no national opera, house or company.
They did. But what other Joyces or Behans might we have had? I am a little bit conflicted about this to be honest. But I'm always wary of people who go after artists etc during hard times and I dislike the frivoulous tone in which it it done. We owe an awful lot more to these people than to the sneering rats who try to pull them down

corelli

corelli this thread is not about tax exemt writers. read it . you are derailing it.
Thanks for the REP :) but I get to differ. Artists get tax exemption for revenues derived from their work. Who do writers centers benefit if not writers? If it does not benefit writers why have it in the first instance?In such a circumstance it is another benefit which deprives the state of funds and as such in present circumstances it can be done without. I appreciate the cultural and societal benefit of the arts but it is way down the list of priorities!

garlandgreen

corelli this thread is not about tax exemt writers. read it . you are derailing it.
I wouldn't say intentially Dot. Corelli is a good poster and I'd rather be having this debate intelligently with him/her than some of the other jokers

Christine Murray

Website
Do you know the work Johnson does in Galway? Have you heard of Cuirt.
Any awareness of the revenue that cultivating arts brings to tourism? l am sure that many would prefer Disney and Dion to lrish arts and heritage.

Last edited: