• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Martin in trouble again

Pidge

BeerBaron69 said:
For leaving the kids out of school last week. tut tut
I dont mean to be picky, but could you expand on that a bit? Which Martin?

BeerBaron69

My mistake it was in the newspapers yesterday. Michael Martin brought the kids with him on a week long junket to Australia-in breach of the guidelines he set out as Education Minister which recommends parents do not take their kids on holiday with them.

blue33

micheal martin got in a bit of trouble for bringing his kids along on one of his junckets.

blue33

BeerBaron69 said:
One rule for some and another for others.
i should hope so, otherwise it would be like bloody communism.

BeerBaron69

Funny you should mention communism-in a certain light you do look kind of red-I just put it down to high blood pressure

DOD

Are we really so hard up for a political scandal that we'll crucify a man for taking his kids on holiday. What a load of rubbish.

blue33

i know, this is nearly as bad as the time the tabloids started attacking him for eating food in a pub that he had brought with him.

BeerBaron69

DOD said:
Are we really so hard up for a political scandal that we'll crucify a man for taking his kids on holiday. What a load of rubbish.
Well he himself put laws in place to stop this sort of thing. I was nearly kicked out of school for going to the FA Cup Final in 2002 between Chelsea and Arsenal-even though I missed two days prior to this all year.

cleareyed

Was it that he took them on a junket? I could not believe that nay politician would attempt that. Having them out of school? It's a matter between the school and him. It's private business.

BeerBaron69

No it isnt because the Ireland on Sunday interviewed parents from the schools Mr. Martins children attend and guess what-they were told it was against the law to take your children out of the country on holidays during the school year.

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
Libero said:
What next? Social democrats putting their kids in private grind schools?
Well, there's a difference.

Yes, sending your kids to a grind school might be somewhat hypocritical (although I don't know if it's Labour Party policy that grind schools should be closed).

However this is a former Minister for Education, and a current Cabinet Minister, breaching the regulations (I'm not sure of the exact status, but schools have been informed by the Dept. that parents are not entitled to remove children from classes during the school year unless exceptional circumstances apply - a dead relative counts, a 'free' trip to Australia doesn't).

Having said that, it doesn't really matter that much. But Martin is pretty stupid for pulling this stunt.

stringjack

smiffy said:
Having said that, it doesn't really matter that much. But Martin is pretty stupid for pulling this stunt.
Well, no, he was pretty stupid to put the guidelines in place in the first place.

BeerBaron69

If you ask me he was stupid to go in the first place with the nursing homes crisis still ongoing

Pidge

BeerBaron69 said:
If you ask me he was stupid to go in the first place with the nursing homes crisis still ongoing
What actual good could he do at home? It's not even his department anymore

Harpey

Considering some of the problems in the mans personal life, the fact that he has lost two kids, and the fact that what he did was actually rather generous and paternal, I am rather wann to criticise him.

Libero

But did anyone brief him on the rules? He was only the Minister after all... :roll:

Smiffy: I agree that he is being hypocritical. It was also a stupid guideline/rule in the first place. Parents won't change their behaviour because a Minister asks them nicely - and now they'll have extra reason to disregard bossing from Marlborough Street.

One question: what is the status of this rule? It's hardly a criminal offence, is it? So what's the sanction if mammy and daddy take little Sorcha out of school for a week so as to take advantage of holiday discounts? (or a holiday they've won?)