Martin mc Guinness, could he also stand aside for a while due to ill health?

the secretary

Since December 8th it has been reported that NI Deputy First Minister Martin Mc Guinness is having some sort of health issues and neither SF of the Executive have elaborated any further on his condition. This is entirely the correct thing to do and he is fully entitled to his privacy.

Sinn Fein refuses to clarify Martin McGuinness health problems - The Irish News
Sinn Fein tight-lipped on McGuinness illness - Derry Journal

He hasn't been seen in public since before Christmas and both Adams and Michelle O'Neill have both referred to his health in recent appearances. He did take part in a recent meeting in Belfast but didn't deal with the media afterwards. We seen a number of years ago in Dublin that Brian Lenihan kept working during health problems so there is a precedent set for public figures to keeping working.

Mc Guinness has always been up front about his role in the troubles, dark and all as some of it may have been but over the last 10 years has conducted himself very well IMO as Deputy First Minister of NI. He fits well into the statesman's role and reportedly had a decent working relationship with his fellow First Ministers. He has not embroiled his party in negativity and scandal hasn't drawn unwanted negative attention on a regular basis like his party leader has done.
Could his absence during this delicate time in NI have consequences for the institutions north of the border as we seen Adams making the main statement on the on going problems yesterday.

What consequences will his absence have during this difficult time in NI?
Could he permanently stand down?
Has a successor been already appointed?
What would his legacy be if he was forced to retire due to ill health?

I hope whatever is wrong with Mc Guinness that he can overcome it and get back to work.

Fullforward

No,even from Home he is doing a great job.

Henry94.

Generational change will come to SF one way or the other. It would surely be better to embrace it at this point. What's left to achieve for Adams and McGuinness that they are not willling to trust to the next generation? Gerry Adams appears in the full of his health and good luck to him but SF will never see government in the south as long as he is the leader. That's a fact of political life.

The ending of the water issue and the erratic performance of the Independents in government presents an opportunity for SF but Mary Lou McDonald has to be the leader or the same old baggage will lead to another under-performance.

Adams should retire and write a true account of his life. He owes that to history.

derryman

Generational change will come to SF one way or the other. It would surely be better to embrace it at this point. What's left to achieve for Adams and McGuinness that they are not willling to trust to the next generation? Gerry Adams appears in the full of his health and good luck to him but SF will never see government in the south as long as he is the leader. That's a fact of political life.

The ending of the water issue and the erratic performance of the Independents in government presents an opportunity for SF but Mary Lou McDonald has to be the leader or the same old baggage will lead to another under-performance.

Adams should retire and write a true account of his life. He owes that to history.
That's great. Now do you have an opinion on the OP as well?

Cruimh

True? You must be kidding.

But McGuinness' health must be a concern for the stability within the 'party'. There has been Nordie domination - if and when both Adams and McGuinness go how will they balance the different needs (and ties) of the North and South - especially as the focus has very much switched to trying to gain some more power in the 26.

Socratus O' Pericles

His mate Liz Windsor took a fortnight off at xmas due to a heavy cold.

Cruimh

Regardless of what is portrayed, McGuinness is no 2 in the hierarchy. Mary Lou is there in name only because she is a Woman from the 26, but she is Was sagst du Hindenburg to Adams' Ludendorff. So McGuinness out of action will lead to instability and jockeying for succession.

Regardless of what is portrayed, McGuinness is no 2 in the hierarchy. Mary Lou is there in name only because she is a Woman from the 26, but she is Was sagst du Hindenburg to Adams' Ludendorff. So McGuinness out of action will lead to instability and jockeying for succession.
I would hope that some form of succession planning is in place. That seems to happen very rarely in politics, though. The system seems to involve a complete reboot every time power changes hands in a party. I quite like what I see of McGuinness (and I'm anything but a shinner). I hope he's OK.

the secretary

No,even from Home he is doing a great job.
So if he doesn't appear for a few months no one should be appointed to over see his duties in the short term?

Cruimh

I quite like what I see of McGuinness (and I'm anything but a shinner).
The mainstream media have given him a very easy ride, especially compared to Adams. His role in terrible crimes like the Enniskillen bombing, Claudy, Frank Hegarty, Joanne Mathers, Patsie Gillespie etc are rarely used to attack him, though he is equally despised by his enemies in the Republican Movement for the suspiciously easy ride, from the Brits, he had during the troubles.

RodShaft

The mainstream media have given him a very easy ride, especially compared to Adams. His role in terrible crimes like the Enniskillen bombing, Claudy, Frank Hegarty, Joanne Mathers, Patsie Gillespie etc are rarely used to attack him, though he is equally despised by his enemies in the Republican Movement for the suspiciously easy ride, from the Brits, he had during the troubles.
It's very simple.

He was convicted of IRA membership so can admit to membership of the IRA prior to that conviction and of anything he was convicted of.

Adams was convicted of nothing, so can admit to nothing.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Since December 8th it has been reported that NI Deputy First Minister Martin Mc Guinness is having some sort of health issues and neither SF of the Executive have elaborated any further on his condition. This is entirely the correct thing to do and he is fully entitled to his privacy.

Sinn Fein refuses to clarify Martin McGuinness health problems - The Irish News
Sinn Fein tight-lipped on McGuinness illness - Derry Journal

He hasn't been seen in public since before Christmas and both Adams and Michelle O'Neill have both referred to his health in recent appearances. He did take part in a recent meeting in Belfast but didn't deal with the media afterwards. We seen a number of years ago in Dublin that Brian Lenihan kept working during health problems so there is a precedent set for public figures to keeping working.

I hope whatever is wrong with Mc Guinness that he can overcome it and get back to work.
there was talk of tests when he missed the China trip, if and when he has a diagnoses, then he should make a statement, much like Lenihan he is senior enough figure that his health is a public matter, if anyone outside the family knows or the media knows then the securocrats or the markets know, then the public needs to know too.

Last edited:

Boy M5

I would hope that some form of succession planning is in place. That seems to happen very rarely in politics, though. The system seems to involve a complete reboot every time power changes hands in a party. I quite like what I see of McGuinness (and I'm anything but a shinner). I hope he's OK.
From what little I know of SF everything by them is planned.
My biggest fear of them entering government down here is that they might not move quickly in a crisis because everything has to be discussed & planned & various elements kept on side.

An aside about McGuinness is from 3rd hand story that he is not the anglophobe that the Sindo points out.

RodShaft

Bollix. Apart from Claudy, all the things I mentioned happened AFTER he claims to have left PIRA.....
Has McGuinness admitted to involvement in those matters?

Why did you namecheck yourself at the start of your post?

Henry94.

I'm not a doctor so not really qualified to comment on the fitness of McGuinness to continue in office at this time. Either way I wish him a full and speedy recovery from whatever condition, if any, he is suffering from.

cut the begs

there was talk of tests when he missed the China trip, if and when he has a diagnoses, then he should make a statement, much like Lenihan he is senior enough figure that his health is a public matter, if anyone outside the family knows or the media knows then the securocrats or the markets know, then the public needs to know too.
protestant coalition has a full diagnosis of his health problems on their f/b page.cant seem to get link up.

mangaire2

Has McGuinness admitted to involvement in those matters?

Why did you namecheck yourself at the start of your post?
"Why did you namecheck yourself at the start of your post?"

that's a good one,
& entirely appropriate,
& I've given you a 'like' for the first time ever, I reckon !

From what little I know of SF everything by them is planned.
My biggest fear of them entering government down here is that they might not move quickly in a crisis because everything has to be discussed & planned & various elements kept on side.

An aside about McGuinness is from 3rd hand story that he is not the anglophobe that the Sindo points out.

No. It isn't planned at all. They may pretend that it is so but they are all over the place. Just like every other party.

Fullforward

So if he doesn't appear for a few months no one should be appointed to over see his duties in the short term?
Didn't we have a Senator off sick from the Seanad for over a year and the World didn't end? petunia

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies