• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Martin McAleese resigns from the Seanad

Martin McAleese requests to resign his seat in Seanad - The Irish Times - Fri, Feb 01, 2013

Interesting move this. He's been a non-entity as a senator. Has someone from the government had a word in his ear because they want someone more compliant in the Seanad, with some tricky votes coming up on abortion etc?
I'd have thought that the abortion vote would have been one he would hang around for.

ETA: He's don some good work for th country in his time.

My gues is that he wants to spend more time with the family (and I don't mean that in the accepted euphemistic sense).

ruserious

Martin McAleese requests to resign his seat in Seanad - The Irish Times - Fri, Feb 01, 2013

Interesting move this. He's been a non-entity as a senator. Has someone from the government had a word in his ear because they want someone more compliant in the Seanad, with some tricky votes coming up on abortion etc?
How you have turned a tread about the resignation of a senator into an abortion thread within two lines of your OP does not, unfortunatly, surprise me.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I'd have thought that the abortion vote would have been one he would hang around for.
It may well have put him and the government in a very awkward position. The Seanad is likely to be a close vote and it may well come down to how the Taoiseach's nominees fall.

Rocky

I imagine it's because he doesn't feel he has the time to devote to it.

I imagine that the government will also replace him with someone else involved in the Northern Ireland peace process. It's been tradition for about 30 years now for one of the Taoiseach nominee's to have type of background, Bertie's third term being the only exception as far as I'm aware.

kkkkkkkkkk

those senators have to do a lot of work
and very badly paid

must be stress

Levellers

He is a religious nut so the abortion vote seems a valid point to me.

the secretary

Meath East

Funny, that thought crossed my mind the minute I seen the thread.
Where does he live?

I doubt it though.

Socratus O' Pericles

Glenshane4

He is a dentist so probably wants to resume his career torturing people.

P.S. I was at the dentist's this morning and am still sore. Teeth must have been the worst thing ever invented.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
I imagine it's because he doesn't feel he has the time to devote to it.

I imagine that the government will also replace him with someone else involved in the Northern Ireland peace process. It's been tradition for about 30 years now for one of the Taoiseach nominee's to have type of background, Bertie's third term being the only exception as far as I'm aware.
Nuala O'Loan perhaps?

Ryan Tubbs

He's been a complete and utter non-entity since he got the job. I'd love to see figures on his voting record. Without a doubt he would be rock-bottom.

The cynics might talk about the tight balance in the Seanad on the abortion issue, but an extra seat might be crucial for the Government if FF oppose the Government Bill (as I fully expect them to do) and if there are Fine Gael defections (based on body language during the Health Committee hearings, I fully expect at least 2)