• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Martin McAleese tarnished the Women of the Magdalene Launderies

Marvar88

The more I look at the McAleese report the more I see what an utterly pathetic job Martin McAleese did. He utterly failed those women. He played down concerns such as beatings that many of the women are adamant took place.

Bruce Arnold spoke about this a while back.

Bruce Arnold: McAleese Report flies in the face of painful evidence of laundry victims - Independent.ie

Now I'm not sure why this was such a botched job. It might be his devout Catholicism or it just maybe he is incompetent and was out of his depth.

He wouldn't even present the report. Unbelievable! Left the Taoiseach in an almighty hole and which he took massive flack for.

Why hasn't this been mentioned by the Media?? I know he is married to the nearest thing the Irish Media have to a saint but is this a good enough reason for such a wretched job?

johnny365

It was never a bright idea to get a devout Catholic to draw up a report on Catholic orders.

Cruimh

The more I look at the McAleese report the more I see what an utterly pathetic job Martin McAleese did. He utterly failed those women. He played down concerns such as beatings that many of the women are adamant took place.

Bruce Arnold: McAleese Report flies in the face of painful evidence of laundry victims - Independent.ie

Now I'm not sure why this was such a botched job. It might be his devout Catholicism or it just maybe he is incompetent and was out of his depth.

He wouldn't even present the report. Unbelievable! Left the Taoiseach in an almighty hole and which he took massive flack for.

Why hasn't this been mentioned by the Media?? I know he is married to the nearest thing the Irish Media have to a saint but is this a good enough reason for such a wretched job?
The remit was only to look at the role of the state?

But it is telling that the one time he chose to stray outside that remit he decided to publish claims that were in the Church's favour.

irishinaustralia

It was never a bright idea to get a devout Catholic to draw up a report on Catholic orders.
I have to say I thought at the time it was a masterstroke. The chance of getting wider society to accept the report when it comes from someone very devout is much greater. and surely what has happened in the last 24 hours backs this up? with regard to exact wording of report, no report is ever going to have the support of everyone.

GDPR

Bruce Arnold: McAleese Report flies in the face of painful evidence of laundry victims - Independent.ie

Taoiseach f**ks up, lets blame someone else. Yes Marv.

Marvar88

Taoiseach f**ks up, lets blame someone else. Yes Marv.
Genuine question. Do you think it is acceptable for the author of a report to not present it and thus not stand over it and take questions on it?

GDPR

I sse, any apology from FF, they were in power for the majority of time these disgusting laundries were in existence?
There was actually, Last week, MM apologised for not including them in previous reports.

GDPR

Genuine question. Do you think it is acceptable for the author of a report to not present it and thus not stand over it and take questions on it?
I don't know why he isn't and it would seem to me that there is more to that than meets the eye, whatever it is, it may not have anything to do with the report at all, but something happened for him to resign in the way he did.

Victor Meldrew

I sse, any apology from FF, they were in power for the majority of time these disgusting laundries were in existence?
And were in power when the Laundries were decommissioned. It was not the case that "this all came out in Feb 2011"

Enda messed up the tome of the initial response, so that does take somewhat from the apology now.

Where a matter is of great sensitivity, and where a wrong move will offend, the Taoiseach should have had back channels into the Survivors to ensure that they knew that the state wanted to do right.

Simplest way to do all this is to sit on the report for 2 weeks while you get your ducks in a row. That is what happens in the real world when you have to manage information to ensure respect and credibility is maintained.

Can't expect Enda to have the bandwidth for choreographing this, however, that is what PR are for.

Victor Meldrew

I don't know why he isn't and it would seem to me that there is more to that than meets the eye, whatever it is, it may not have anything to do with the report at all, but something happened for him to resign in the way he did.
His resignation, coupled with the manner of the report being released, and the ****-up with the initial response, raises serious questions

Can't attribute this to FG cack-handed/ tone deaf-ness or simple incompetence given the good Dentist's scarpering.

leftsoc

His resignation, coupled with the manner of the report being released, and the ****-up with the initial response, raises serious questions

Can't attribute this to FG cack-handed/ tone deaf-ness or simple incompetence given the good Dentist's scarpering.
McAleese was chosen so that little would be made of the scandal. That is obvious. Why would you pick the husband of the most loyal lay Catholic woman in the country with any other object in mind?

Kenny was playing dog-whistle politics with the apology. there was no ****-up. where a normal person sees an unfortunate mistake, rural Catholics see Kenny sticking it to dublin 4. The belated apology does not contradict this. It is dismisssed as a sop to the meejah. Rural Catholics are happy that Kenny defended the nuns, and that is what the miserable Blueshirt intended. Lets not forget that Kenny has been in the Dail since 1973. Nothing about the laundries can possibly be news to him.

oggy

The laundries first opened in 1922 so I suppose it was only right a sort of successor to the then government had the job of apologising

neiphin

The laundries first opened in 1922 so I suppose it was only right a sort of successor to the then government had the job of apologising
did you not argue last night that ff had nothing to do with the civil war because ff were not around then ?

oggy

did you not argue last night that ff had nothing to do with the civil war because ff were not around then ?
Possible but doubt it as there was even non FF people rubbishing the idea of FF starting the Civil War. The people who blame FF are usually in my experience decendents of those who were part of the Free State authorities who carried atrocities like exucutions on the spot. As well, those same people had few if any who actually fought in the WOI

rapparree

id bet a mixture of both incompetence and an agenda. why else would he have gotton it except for being the husband of mary mcaleese, nepotism. in addition, what are his qualifications to lead an inquiry, is it not usually legal heads who do so

He should stick to playing golf with the uda

McTell

Twitter
No
McAleese and Kenny did what they are paid to do, protect the politicians, civil service and church from paying the Magdalens, and instead lumping the cost onto the rest of us.

Just like the banks.

Popular Threads

Most Replies