Martin McGuinness Successor

Marcella

So by most accounts we have three in contention - Michelle O'Neil, Conor Murphy and Máirtín Ó Muilleoir.

Murphy has army pedigree behind him although this may well be the reason he's not appointed as leader of SF's assembly team.

O'Neill is young and truth be told, hasn't done a lot to warrant such a position although she has been pushed forward in recent weeks in representing McGuinness while he took some time out. That being the case, I would have her as favourite.

Máirtín Ó Muilleoir is articulate and has earned his spurs in Belfast City Councill during the 80's and 90's and could be seen as a middle range option in terms of the old and new generation of SFer. Ó Muilleoir has no IRA pedigree but being a Councillor in the 80's and 90's demonstrates he was prepared to put his life on the line for what he believed.

My choice would be Murphy. I would expect SF under Murphy to adopt a much more robust approach to unionism. We won't have long to wait with news expected early next week.

Last edited:

between the bridges

Betson

Bookies have O'Neill odds on to get it.

Being female will be a big plus to her in a party like SF which values it's pc cred a lot.

Strawberry

^ Good summary. I'd go for Ó Muilleoir personally, Michelle O'Neill isn't ready and I can see Murphy's past being used as a red herring at every opportunity by unionists.

Marcella

^ Good summary. I'd go for Ó Muilleoir personally, Michelle O'Neill isn't ready and I can see Murphy's past being used as a red herring at every opportunity by unionists.
Murphy could well find himself in the job because of that past. SF know nationalist attitudes have hardened significantly in recent weeks. Appointing Murphy would reassure republican heartlands.

Appointing O'Neill would signal further movement along the lines of outreach and more playing second fiddle to the DUP.

Strawberry

Murphy could well find himself in the job because of that past. SF know nationalist attitudes have hardened significantly in recent weeks. Appointing Murphy would reassure republican heartlands.

Appointing O'Neill would signal further movement along the lines of outreach and more playing second fiddle to the DUP.
You know the North better than me. I agree with you O'Neill is the wrong choice though, we've already had one woman promoted beyond her ability crash and burn the last thing we need is another.

Marcella

You know the North better than me. I agree with you O'Neill is the wrong choice though, we've already had one woman promoted beyond her ability crash and burn the last thing we need is another.
Beyond her own locality O'Neill wouldn't carry much weight throughout republican areas. Infact I'd say most voters couldn't actually name her.

Betson

Like Arlene She can play the gender card if she gets in trouble or is out of her depth , that is a big plus when dealing with the media , I would be very surprised if it is not her, SF will be playing up big time the PC aspect of it.

blinding

Looks like it is going to be Michelle O'Neill......Its up to the Shinners . I hope she has the experience and ability .

I suggest that if it is Michelle then Sinn Fein will not be taking Stormont too seriously ( whats the point ) .

The real question is who ( and when) is going to take over from Gerry Adams . That is the interesting one..............

hollandia

I think Murphy would be a retrograde step. All the noises are pointing towards o Neil, but I'd rank o Dowd and O'Muilleoir ahead of her in terms of ability. O'Muilleoir would provide the robustness and the pedigree without the baggage that Murphy has.

PBP voter

SF are a middle-aged to old parties these days.

The old guard stayed on a bit too long.

Strawberry

Like Arlene She can play the gender card if she gets in trouble or is out of her depth , that is a big plus when dealing with the media , I would be very surprised if it is not her, SF will be playing up big time the PC aspect of it.
The gender card didn't work for Arlene, it earned her universal derision.

Mickeymac

Conor the discriminator - won't play well with the more important target electorate in the ROI .... Who want to be convinced that SF is a clean political party.

Bottom line - it will be the IRA Army Council's decision.

Cardinal Dalton being given the lead Homily on Capitol Hill at the inauguration of the new President appears to have pi$$ed you off bigtime Crumb:lol:

Nothing new there I suppose watching you continue to move backwards.

Strawberry

Cardinal Dalton being given the lead Homily on Capitol Hill at the inauguration of the new President appears to have pi$$ed you off bigtime Crumb:lol:

Nothing new there I suppose watching you continue to move backwards.
They're showing it over here on RTE, I was surprised at the amount of religion involved. If you had half that at an official function in Ireland this forum would be full of people b1tching and moaning that we were back in the days of De Valera.

Mickeymac

Interesting comments indeed but I honestly believe many within Nationalism these days will not be bothered as to what the unionist parties think of the new SF leader at Stormont.

In a book about the civil rights campaign I read some time ago, folk like Hume/Devlin/Farrell/McShane/Cooper/McCann etc etc who most likely ever seen a gun in their lives were disgracefully demonised by unionists then............................and very much to the same extent Martin/Gerry etc is now.

Bottom line, regardless of who the new leader is.......he/she will most like be treated the same by many unionists.

Mickeymac

They're showing it over here on RTE, I was surprised at the amount of religion involved. If you had half that at an official function in Ireland this forum would be full of people b1tching and moaning that we were back in the days of De Valera.

Strawbs, the DUP need to be looking in and take on board the respect shown by all participants regardless of color/creed and whatever.

Events such as this must embarrass the unionists when they see the way they should be conducting themselves as elected representatives.

Just Jack

Would like Gerry Kelly.

A good man with a good record in the IRA and a good record on human rights, LGBT etc.

Mickeymac

Would like Gerry Kelly.

A good man with a good record in the IRA and a good record on human rights, LGBT etc.

Grass roots will certainly have influence, thankfully their political leaders will not be looking over their shoulders in fear of paramilitaries and extreme bigots as McGuinness effed them off some time ago................Snarlene and co should take that example from SF.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies