• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Martin set to Resign.

thetruthsback

Rumours in Cork suggest Michael Martin is set to resign. He's unhappy with the direction of the party, and may launch a challenge to Cowen.

Oppenheimer

Rumours in Cork suggest Michael Martin is set to resign. He's unhappy with the direction of the party, and may launch a challenge to Cowen.
Strange how fiction surfaces more in these kinds of times than at any other. It would be the end of him if he pulled this. Any Minister in FF breaking ranks now will be seen as an individualist and running when the chips are down. I suspect this is part of the reason the Greens are holding firm - if they bale now the electorate will see them as getting out of the kitchen because it was too hot.

PhoenixIreland

Website
www.huffingtonpost.com
I'm gonna go ahead and call this bs...

just_society2

Good for him.

A refreshing change to see FFer's not staying blindly loyal to an incompetent leader. If FF are indeed going down, why should he stay part of it?

As to whether he would be any better in the hot seat, hard to say, but even if the economic reforms from the budget do work, politically it's been a mess, and FF have to defend against a litany of cuts, instead a smaller number of drastic cuts (or tax increases) might have been better.

Good for him.

A refreshing change to see FFer's not staying blindly loyal to an incompetent leader. If FF are indeed going down, why should he stay part of it?

As to whether he would be any better in the hot seat, hard to say, but even if the economic reforms from the budget do work, politically it's been a mess, and FF have to defend against a litany of cuts, instead a smaller number of drastic cuts (or tax increases) might have been better.
He had no problem being blindly loyal to Ahern, did he? Anyway, something more solid than a rumour is necessary here.

just_society2

He had no problem being blindly loyal to Ahern, did he? Anyway, something more solid than a rumour is necessary here.
Indeed, I should have qualified that with an if it's true, and I hadn't forgotten the unamimity of their defence of Bertie, but if this is true (here's hoping) then I think it's a wise move.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
I personally would doubt it but that said, I don't recall Martin on the airwaves so much in the last 2 weeks. What he may be doing is seeking support to out manoeuvre Dermot Ahern should Cowen be forced to go to the country in the next 18 months and lose.

draiocht23

I personally would doubt it but that said, I don't recall Martin on the airwaves so much in the last 2 weeks. What he may be doing is seeking support to out manoeuvre Dermot Ahern should Cowen be forced to go to the country in the next 18 months and lose.
Can you think of any Minister coming out recently in support of this budget...? They're all veritable tumbleweeds...

kerrynorth

You do have to wonder what is going on in the FF shadows. Outside of the leading troika, senior Ministers have been conspicious by their absence over the last couple of weeks. Even Willie (or his moustache) are no where to be seen. This is total contrast with Bertie at the Tribunal where it was a case of form an orderly queue.

I do think that there could be a putusch in FF if Martin and Ahern could agree on who is to be leader. I suppose nothing will happen until after the locals/euros where a bad result will give the putusch legitimacy.

daithi(ff)

no minister will break ranks now they would never be forgiven look at ff history loyalty means alot to the members. id agree with above his lining up supporters if lisbon 2 fails there has to be a election, a bad election there biffo gone

sarak2

i doubt if a single TD would back him, no matter what the position in the polls.

MMartin is seen universally as a light-weight, indecisive, mediocrity. Why would FF put the creator of the HSE in charge?

Clanrickard

no minister will break ranks now they would never be forgiven look at ff history loyalty means alot to the members. id agree with above his lining up supporters if lisbon 2 fails there has to be a election, a bad election there biffo gone
That posts sums up what is wrong with FF. It is like some bizarre cult with out unquestioning obedience to the party and the leader the yardstick used for promotion rather than things like ability, talent and experience.

FakeViking

Tricky Mickey, whos only claims to fame are the smoking ban and a warehouse full of unimplemented consultancy reports vs. the worst leader in a century, now that's an interesting contest.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
The FF tradition of unquestioning submission to the leader is dangerous for the direction of the country and for its economy and public-services and ethical standards.

Digout

The FF tradition of unquestioning submission to the leader is dangerous for the direction of the country and for its economy and public-services and ethical standards.
thats the whole point, FF have no eithics, over the last 20 years all their leaders have had to resign in disgrace, or are you saying that FF is changing?