Martyn Turner and his Punch like cartoons.

Levellers

I have never been able to fathom the zeal with which many people take to Turner’s cartoons in the Irish Times. For certain politicians, those which Turner regards as on the nationalist wing, their portraits are remarkable for their similarity to the vile cartoons published in 19th century magazine Punch. FG and Labour seem immune to this treatment.

This cartoon appeared in London Evening Standard in 1982 and continued this tradition of portraying Irish people in a simian like manner.

flavirostris

Who looks at cartoons anymore. This is the age of the meme man.

My twitter feed has far funnier and more incisive memes that anything Martyn Turner ever produced.

between the bridges

Given that you are extremely fond of posting comic representations yourself, the ironic hypocrisy of your OP is highly amusing, DUH, ye ballix... anywho can ye not set a fatwa on his aras...

A Voice

Turner is pish. The "message" is always a right-on take on the issue, whether that's Irish republicanism, refugees, big business etc. The obviousness of the message, which is merely a summary of the previous 24 hours' editorialising in the Oirish Times, means that his cartoons have always lacked immediacy, spontaneity and an element of surprise. Good cartoons make you look anew at something, or highlight an unusual angle. Turner simply confirms his readers' biases; he is a classic safe space cartoonist.

And there's always the worm or bird in the corner repeating the message in the picture, showing he thinks we're all really stupid and need his obvious, stale cartoon explained to us. :roll:

flavirostris

Turner is pish. The "message" is always a right-on take on the issue, whether that's Irish republicanism, refugees, big business etc. The obviousness of the message, which is merely a summary of the previous 24 hours' editorialising in the Oirish Times, means that his cartoons have always lacked immediacy, spontaneity and an element of surprise. Good cartoons make you look anew at something, or highlight an unusual angle. Turner simply confirms his readers' biases; he is a classic safe space cartoonist.

And there's always the worm or bird in the corner repeating the message in the picture, showing he thinks we're all really stupid and need his obvious, stale cartoon explained to us. :roll:
That's a really good assessment. His cartoons are right-on and pro-establishment.

The one everybody praises as being so brilliant, the x-case girl looking for an abortion surrounded by barbed wire is absolutely predictable shyte.

A Voice

That's a really good assessment. His cartoons are right-on and pro-establishment.

The one everybody praises as being so brilliant, the x-case girl looking for an abortion surrounded by barbed wire is absolutely predictable shyte.
Yes, he's utterly on-message. Fatal for a satirist, if he could only realise . . .

flavirostris

Yes, he's utterly on-message. Fatal for a satirist, if he could only realise . . .
Yep. Aren't satirists supposed to speak truth to power. Not act as mini-me's to the establishment.

I could do Martyn Turner cartoons... just draw a picture of refugees looking sad and a picture of Irish racists preventing them from entering the country.

Vega1447

Yep. Aren't satirists supposed to speak truth to power. Not act as mini-me's to the establishment.

I could do Martyn Turner cartoons... just draw a picture of refugees looking sad and a picture of Irish racists preventing them from entering the country.
If you can draw as well as Turner you have a rare talent.
He is a top notch cartoonist though his "message" can be a bit pedestrian.

Erudite Caveman

I have never been able to fathom the zeal with which many people take to Turner’s cartoons in the Irish Times. For certain politicians, those which Turner regards as on the nationalist wing, their portraits are remarkable for their similarity to the vile cartoons published in 19th century magazine Punch. FG and Labour seem immune to this treatment.

Mopery.

Turners caricatures of everyone, regardless of nationality, is similar. That wasn't the case in Punch cartoons.

Windowshopper

My favourite Irish cartoonist is Mick Flavin of Broadsheet.ie. That being said his politics seems to run close to my own.

I am also a big fan of the Guardian's stable. Especially Martin Rowson. He's picture are fantastically grotesque.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/picture/2016/dec/09/martin-rowson-on-david-cameron-and-the-electoral-shocks-of-2016-cartoon

The OP seems to be annoyed that Turner goes after SF which is a silly criticism. Also it's totally unfair to lump Turner's work with the Evening Standard picture. That muddies the waters as someone could confuse it as Turner piece within the context of the OP.

Last edited:

ShoutingIsLeadership

You really are a grade-A moron

Windowshopper

No artists are supposed to do what they want no perform some preconceived expectation.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Has he got worse or simply exposed another side of himself since he decided to change subject?
My experience is that regardless of thread, the subject never changes.

But I won't speak about a poster, beyond this exchange...I'll keep my comments direct to the poster.

No artists are supposed to do what they want no perform some preconceived expectation.
He is bound to operate with regard to the editorial direction imposed in the IT.

Polly Ticks

Does the IT use other cartoonists?

He's alright. No great shakes.. that's not a crime, obviously, but Ireland being so small we end up with people with no exceptional talent dominating certain positions for years on end... country needs more flux from top to bottom, in both the private and public sectors.. otherwise the young will continue to flee in pursuit of opportunity.

Erudite Caveman

Does the IT use other cartoonists?

He's alright. No great shakes.. that's not a crime, obviously, but Ireland being so small we end up with people with no exceptional talent dominating certain positions for years on end... country needs more flux from top to bottom, in both the private and public sectors.. otherwise the young will continue to flee in pursuit of opportunity.
And these young Irish cartoonists that fleed, they are showcasing their talents in what well known newspapers? Nonsense. You had an answer looking for a question.

For starters, cartoonists don't work on the newsfloor's of newspapers. They wouldn't even have to leave the country to be be published elsewhere, what with this internet thing.

His best days are behind him, but Turner is an institution, and the hardcore paper-buying readership of institutions like the IT, like their institutions.

Erudite Caveman

My favourite Irish cartoonist is Mick Flavin of Broadsheet.ie. That being said his politics seems to run close to my own.

I am also a big fan of the Guardian's stable. Especially Martin Rowson. He's picture are fantastically grotesque.

The OP seems to be annoyed that Turner goes after SF which is a silly criticism. Also it's totally unfair to lump Turner's work with the Evening Standard picture. That muddies the waters as someone could confuse it as Turner piece within the context of the OP.
Rawson is top class - he really went to town on Blair, but Mick Flavin? He's dreadful. Very poor artist and laboured commentary.
Matt at the Daily Telegraph is fantastic.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies