Mary Coughlan is failing the Irish language, it seems to me

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior
There is I believe €350 million left out of the Department of Educations capital budget this year for school building. I think that Mary Coughlan should recognise the campaigns for the EIGHT new second-level gaelscoileanna or gaelcholáistí:

* Gaelcholáiste Dheisceart Átha Cliath, Dundrum, Dublin
* Gaelcholáiste Shligigh, Co. Sligo
* Gaelcholáiste Charraig Uí Leighin, Carraigaline, Co. Cork
* Gaelcholáiste na hIarmhí, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath
* Gaelcholáiste Chora Droma Rúisc, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim
* Coláiste Ghlór na Mara, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin
* Gaelcholáiste Chill Dara Thuaidh, Maynooth, Co. Kildare
* Gaelcholáiste Droichead Átha, Drogheda, Co. Louth

They have the numbers!

Before, yes even before the general election, it is expected that the first ever 20 Year National Strategy for the Irish language will come out. I believe that the volunteers working on setting up the above schools should be told that they will be given recognition in the short-term.

The strategy aims to increase the number of Irish speakers in the country to 250,000 in twenty years and all parties in the Oireachtas have signed upto it.

Now, how in the hell does the Government expect to radically increase the number of Irish speakers in the country without recognising these schools?

English is the most common language amongst young people in Gaeltacht, I believe, and when these young people have kids they may not raise their kids through Irish. Indeed it would seem unlikely that they will if they speak in English most of the time to one another. So we are at the cusp as Trevor Sarget alluded to in the Dáil last week of Irish becoming extinct.

As of today though we still have a Gaeltacht. However we do not have the luxury of wasting time in relation to seeing the Irish language promoted well.

Mary Couglan should recognise these schools this year, or recognise some of them, and tell the rest of them that they should be getting recognised in the shorter term.

Cael

Mary Couglan has €350 million in her department to spend!
Certainly these eight schools should be recognised immediately, and there should be a program to encourage Anglophone schools to become Gaelscoileanna.

mr_anderson

Darren we can't afford it. Never could.
+1
You know, this thread depressed me.
Not only did the bubble burst 4 years ago, not only have Irelands financial woes been aired ad nauseum, but the IMF have literally just departed our shores signalling that a deal has been struck.

And here we have someone effectively saying 'give us money' to the government.

Christ almighty, what else has to happen for people to realise that the banks, government and country are bankrupt ?

Cael

Mary hasn't two brass farthings to go with her two brain cells.

Sure we have 85 billion from the IMF. How many Gaelscoileanna and hospitals would that build - not to mind state companies like the ESB.

Cael

And here we have someone effectively saying 'give us money' to the government.

Christ almighty, what else has to happen for people to realise that the banks, government and country are bankrupt ?
Why should the calls of the bank shareholders and bondholders for free money be listened to, while everyone else must shut up and pay?

mr_anderson

Why should the calls of the bank shareholders and bondholders for free money be listened to, while everyone else must shut up and pay?
They shouldn't.
They should be allowed to go bust - thats capitalism.

But irrespective of all that, the government is running a massive budget deficit.
Even without the banking crisis the government couldn't afford it !

d7bohs

One way or the other, however bad things get, we will presumably retain a free or 'free' public secondary education system: the population is growing and there's going to be an increased demand for secondary places over the next decade and more - and especially in at least six out of eight of the places listed in the OP, which means we'll have to build new schools anyway: so what's the big deal spending the money now on the kind of schools parents want? And if we spend it now, when land is cheap and builders plentful, we'll a) get them built for less, and b) keep people in employment and paying taxes and so on.....

Pauli

Given that she is popularly referred to as "Sweary Mary", she appears to be failing the English language as well.

captainwillard

The government needs to fail a lot of vested interests if we are to get out of this crisis. Ask someone without a job if Irish should be a national priority.

DJP

Website
Twitter

Soldier of Density

€350 Million surplus in the DoE budget and still, my kids can't ride uni-cycles.

In less than 5 years there may be no uni-cycle riding children in the country.

When will uni-cycle riding teachers get the recognition they deserve??..... for shame!!!

DJP

Website
Twitter
the population is growing and there's going to be an increased demand for secondary places over the next decade and more - and especially in at least six out of eight of the places listed in the OP, which means we'll have to build new schools anyway: so what's the big deal spending the money now on the kind of schools parents want? And if we spend it now, when land is cheap and builders plentful, we'll a) get them built for less, and b) keep people in employment and paying taxes and so on.....
Sin é!!!

deise go deo

€350 Million surplus in the DoE budget and still, my kids can't ride uni-cycles.

In less than 5 years there may be no uni-cycle riding children in the country.

When will uni-cycle riding teachers get the recognition they deserve??..... for shame!!!
Perhaps when they can get the support of enough parents to make a school feasible(As the parents who want a new gaelscoil have) and can show clearly(as Gaelscoileanna have) that it is a very effective method of education?

MDaniel

Perhaps when they can get the support of enough parents to make a school feasible(As the parents who want a new gaelscoil have) and can show clearly(as Gaelscoileanna have) that it is a very effective method of education?
If we stop supporting private schools with taxpayers' money, there'll be plenty of money for public schools. There'll be then better public schools when the upper middle school has become poor and start complaining about the quality of public school.
Otherwise they won't be interested in the quality of our schools, Gaeilscoilenna or otherwise.
Irish-medium or English, a school is a school and we need more schools and less bankers union leaders:-x fat salaries.

DJP

Website
Twitter
Somebody gave me a book Ruairí Quinn wrote recently as they got it somehow and had no interest in reading it and gave it to me as they know I am interested in politics. I read a bit of the chapter where he talks about when they were in Government with FF between 1992-1995. He mentioned a bit about the Department of Education (although he was not the Minister for that Department) and said that to this day the ethos of it (as represented by the top of the civil service in it I presume) is conservative and Catholic. I remember Conradh na Gaeilge saying a few years ago that there was an an-Irish language bias in it. I would love it if someone like Fergus O'Dowd or Michael D. Higgins (although he won't be as he is trying to become President of Ireland) was the Minister for Education.

DuineEile

We need schools. Whether they are Irish or English we need them. If the demand is for Irish schools (and it is) it makes sense to provide for them. This is not an Irish language issue. It is a micropolitics issue. Half empty English schools and Irish schools bursting at the seams. It's a no brainer.

If the money is not spent here, it will be wasted elsewhere.

D

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies