Mary Ellen Synon: journalist or sensationalist?

abba

who agrees Mary Ellen Synon is a great journalist?

<Mod> Moved to Media. </Mod>

EvotingMachine0197

Re: economy

Howya hayza.

Very few here will pass much remarks on any thread unless the following is adhered to:

Title the thread meaningfully, so as to indicate content
Make an opening point or question to encourage response
State your own opinion
Provide background or links to background to support the point or inform readers.
(These things really do make better threads)

Now, who is Mary Ellen Synon ?

abba

well if u dont know who Mary Ellen Synon is,i guess im on the wrong site.

JDLK

hayza said:
Are you Mary Ellen Synon by any chance?

JDLK

I just looked her up and found this example of her work:

"It is time to suggest that these so-called Paralympics . . . are - well, one hesitates to say 'grotesque'. One will only say 'perverse'┬ůSurely physical competition is about finding the best - the fastest, strongest, highest, all that. It is not about finding someone who can wobble his way around a track in a wheelchair, or who can swim from one end of a pool to the other by Braille." She advised the disabled and blind to "play to your competitive advantage" and added: "In other words, Stephen Hawking shows his wisdom by staying out of the three-legged race."

I dont think that needs any comment really- let just say her pulitzer might be lost in the post

EvotingMachine0197

hayza said:
No no. You are on the right site. It's just me.. I don't read much.
If you change the thread title to 'Mary Ellen Synon - journalist or Sensationalist'

Then link to say wiki, or some articles she authored, you might get some debate going.
I'm only trying to help.

Anyway , as this is my last post on this website, I wish you well with yours.
Enjoy the referendum.
And enjoy the silly aul pencil. ;)

nuj

hayza said:
no im her twin sister :D
So her Damart underwear probably fits you.

abba

mayby i think shes written some very interesting articles about the economy,and life in general.And another thing i have my own smalls thank u very much!NO TO LISBON!!!!!!!!! YIPEEEEEEE

nuj

hayza said:
mayby i think shes written some very interesting articles about the economy,and life in general.And another thing i have my own smalls thank u very much!NO TO LISBON!!!!!!!!! YIPEEEEEEE
You've convinced me. Logic will out, every time.

TheBear

With credit to EVM for coming up with the title, I've amended it to make it clearer.

DOD

Is gobshite an option?

S

Starkadder

She's a nasty piece of work-I remember her publishing an article in the Sunday Independent
years ago, basically saying the Confederacy should have won the American Civil War. This from
a woman who claims to be a pro-capitalist defender of "individual liberty"? :roll:

S

Starkadder

Any society based on slave labour is, by defintion, non-capitalist, since the capitalist
system depends on workers able to change employers. There's a reason
people like Adam Smith were abolitionists.

Limerick Lad

Isn't her major claim to fame, her sexual athletes with Rupert Pennant-Rea, the deputy governor of the Bank of England which led to his resignation. The tabloid newspapers nicknamed her "the Bonk of England" at the time.
Sensationalist seems to fit the bill.

S

Starkadder

Limerick Lad said:
Isn't her major claim to fame, her sexual athletes with Rupert Pennant-Rea, the deputy governor of the Bank of England which led to his resignation. The tabloid newspapers nicknamed her "the Bonk of England" at the time.
Yes, the Sindo gave her a whole page devoted recount her "woman scorned" side of the story-but
I think her going to the tabloids like that scared off future boyfriends.

Didn't she say in the Sunday Business Post she was a creationist as well :roll: ?

twtone

I very much admire this journalist. Indeed hers is one of the few radical voices among the commentariat in Ireland.
Contrast her with the sanctimonious bores in The Irish Times!

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I simply can't believe that EVM chose to go quietly into the night on such a silly thead

As for MES... she's a sensationalist journalist.. and a great ri.. by all accounts (well that of the NOTW).. but I couldn't possibly comment on that.. personally anyway

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies