• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Mary Hanafin calls for bankruptcy TD law to be amended

Speaking on 'The Political Party' on TV3 Minister Mary Hanafin, commenting on the Bev Flynn case, said that the legislation which barred a bankrupt person from being a member of the Dáil. she said that since a person is elected by the people this ought to be respected whether they have money or not.

drbob1972

goodness but FF are really extending the Love to Bev arn't they ?

Eddiepops

Pidge said:
What is the argument in favour of such a law?
If I recall correctly the precedent for the law dates all the way back to Athenian democracy where bankrupts couldn't attend the assembly or vote, as they were too easy to manipulate due to their penury. I think the same idea applies now, that a bankrupt would be too easily influenced by financial bribery

Rebelman

Website
no1rebelman.bebo.com
Twitter
@kencurtin
Pidge said:
By "buying your votes" you could find yourself bankrupt that was the original logic behind it, it obviusly predated the era of limits on election spending (which are still open to abuse).

baldur0300

Eddiepops said:
Pidge said:
If I recall correctly the precedent for the law dates all the way back to Athenian democracy where bankrupts couldn't attend the assembly or vote, as they were too easy to manipulate due to their penury. I think the same idea applies now, that a bankrupt would be too easily influenced by financial bribery
Yeah but that argument would apply equally to a law prohiting poor people generally from holding office.

Dee Four

Pidge said:
The people have no right to elect such people.

fergalr

It's a good law. FF angling to repeal an obstacle to corruption is something that starts alarm bells ringing.

baldur0300

fergalr said:
It's a good law. FF angling to repeal an obstacle to corruption is something that starts alarm bells ringing.
How does the law prevent corruption?

Dee Four

David Cochrane said:
[quote="Dee Four":31wn6t1w]
Pidge said:
That's a rather preposterous statement.[/quote:31wn6t1w]
I know. Its not a view I subscribe to.

Rebelman

Website
no1rebelman.bebo.com
Twitter
@kencurtin
Dee Four said:
[quote="David Cochrane":1dhwwca4][quote="Dee Four":1dhwwca4]
Pidge said:
That's a rather preposterous statement.[/quote:1dhwwca4]
I know. Its not a view I subscribe to.[/quote:1dhwwca4]

That whole multiple personality thing is a killer when you are sitting at a keyboard.

fergalr

baldur0300 said:
fergalr said:
"Do what I say, vote how I say and I'll keep you out of Debtor's Prison"

"Okay then"

Now that's the case in a country with safeguards against corruption. In Ireland it's a throwback to a gentle time where we tried to insulate our modestly-waged public representatives from being beset on all sides by evil men :p

baldur0300

fergalr said:
baldur0300 said:
fergalr said:
"Do what I say, vote how I say and I'll keep you out of Debtor's Prison"

"Okay then"

Now that's the case in a country with safeguards against corruption. In Ireland it's a throwback to a gentle time where we tried to insulate our modestly-waged public representatives from being beset on all sides by evil men :p
But in reality the person threatening or offering such a thing would be far more likely to end up in prison than the politican owing money.

CookieMonster

smiffy said:
Dee Four said:
I know. Its not a view I subscribe to.
Whose view is it?
Maybe it was a "friend" who said it. ;)

A question, who has lost their seat owing to bankruptcy in the past?

fergalr

Yeah because that's what happense.

baldur0300

fergalr said:
Yeah because that's what happense.
Well neither happens. As I said above that particular argument could be used to prevent anyone suffering financial pressure from becoming TDs. I don't see why its right to single out bankrupts.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies