• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mary Hanafin: Complete Dumbass Or Just Extremely Naive?

GusherING

On the front of todays Irish Times (at the bottom) was a piece about Mary Hanafin warning 'of the dangers of secondary school students going abroad in groups for post-examination holidays'. Besides the obvious fact that by the time you've finished your Leaving Cert, your no longer a secondary school student, she is marvelled by the recent trend where groups of 30, 40, 50 or even 100 go off to Crete or Ibiza!!

By contrast, (and this really is taking the michael), 12 young people (presumably male) from Blackrock College are heading off to work in South Africa (What the article neglects to tell you is that after 1 week of work, the 2nd is spent getting trashed like their comrades in Crete).

To top it off, she begs the question, 'Does a 17 year old really need a car? The motive to ask this stems from; a lack of car spaces in schools, and, where is your 17 year old at night.

Besides shitting myself laughing and rolling around on the floor in hysterics while trying to eat my cornflakes this morning, a thought struck me. How the fcuk is this woman elected, a minister, or even allowed to open her mouth (in front of an audience as well!!)? My estimation of the Irish Times has dropped a bit as well, seeing that this utter tripe actually got into the paper.

Rabscallion

Does a 17 year old need a car???? Me thinks not. Stinks of rich spoilt brat culture sneeking into Ireland from California.....

Seriously though, Hanafin has a point as regards the post LC holidays; they can be dangerous affairs and every year there tends to be a fatality during these holidays.

GusherING

Rabscallion said:
Does a 17 year old need a car???? Me thinks not. Stinks of rich spoilt brat culture sneeking into Ireland from California.....

Seriously though, Hanafin has a point as regards the post LC holidays; they can be dangerous affairs and every year there tends to be a fatality during these holidays.
I can't believe your tryung to justify this. Does the fact that these people are on the verge of adulthood even cross her radar? I went on a Leaving Cert Holiday, and yeah people ****ed themselves up (I personally was very close to developing septecemia off some dirty Greek bacteria), but these things happen wherever you go. I'd like to see you illustrate the difference between a leaving cert. hol and a J1 trip abroad after first year college.

As for the cars, there may be reasons why a 17 year old shouldn't have one, but 'where are they at night' is hardly top of the list. It says a lot about Mary Hanafins priorities, when she is focused on the acts of people who within a year or less will be their own masters.

Pidge

Rabscallion said:
Nope, not at all. I was offered a car and turned it down. What possible use could a 17 year old have for one. I use the bus, DART, bike or in the very worst case, get a lift.

Rabscallion said:
She is right to highlight concern, but at the same time its not right that after the stress of the LC that people should be denied freedoms. If they can afford it without scabbing off their parents, why not?

To a large extent, the difference between a J1visa trip and a 1 or 2 week holiday in the sun is that many people on a J1 would intend to work, study or at least travel - whereas on an LC holiday tho main objective is to get smashed every night.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
GusherING said:
Rabscallion said:

I can't believe your tryung to justify this. Does the fact that these people are on the verge of adulthood even cross her radar? I went on a Leaving Cert Holiday, and yeah people f***** themselves up (I personally was very close to developing septecemia off some dirty Greek bacteria)
You should have wore a johnny :wink:

GusherING

rockofcashel said:
GusherING said:
Rabscallion said:

I can't believe your tryung to justify this. Does the fact that these people are on the verge of adulthood even cross her radar? I went on a Leaving Cert Holiday, and yeah people f***** themselves up (I personally was very close to developing septecemia off some dirty Greek bacteria)
:shock: I got it off a cut on my foot, i'll have you know. I got the various other diseases from the talent though.

meriwether

GusherING said:
rockofcashel said:
GusherING said:
Rabscallion said:

:shock: I got it off a cut on my foot, i'll have you know. I got the various other diseases from the talent though.

No doubt she was English.

GusherING

meriwether said:
GusherING said:
rockofcashel said:
GusherING said:
Rabscallion said:

No doubt she was English.
I'm not sure. I was very drunk (as you do).

stringjack

GusherING said:
Dude. You shouldn't be doing that with your foot. :?

GusherING

stringjack said:
GusherING said:
Dude. You shouldn't be doing that with your foot. :?
It was a comletely seperate incident!!!

carruthers

Six years as a dormant thread and "she was better than the other FF shower" ???

What did I miss?

daveL

On the front of todays Irish Times (at the bottom) was a piece about Mary Hanafin warning 'of the dangers of secondary school students going abroad in groups for post-examination holidays'. Besides the obvious fact that by the time you've finished your Leaving Cert, your no longer a secondary school student, she is marvelled by the recent trend where groups of 30, 40, 50 or even 100 go off to Crete or Ibiza!!

By contrast, (and this really is taking the michael), 12 young people (presumably male) from Blackrock College are heading off to work in South Africa (What the article neglects to tell you is that after 1 week of work, the 2nd is spent getting trashed like their comrades in Crete).

To top it off, she begs the question, 'Does a 17 year old really need a car? The motive to ask this stems from; a lack of car spaces in schools, and, where is your 17 year old at night.

Besides shitting myself laughing and rolling around on the floor in hysterics while trying to eat my cornflakes this morning, a thought struck me. How the ************************ is this woman elected, a minister, or even allowed to open her mouth (in front of an audience as well!!)? My estimation of the Irish Times has dropped a bit as well, seeing that this utter tripe actually got into the paper.
what are you on about?

edit: only realised that this thread was started 6 years ago

BlackLion

Six years as a dormant thread and "she was better than the other FF shower" ???

What did I miss?
when theres a lot of Negative FG threads the FG paid Hacks on this site try to bumb up FF thread to set up a smokescreen. so FG doesn't look so bad. thats why this thread got bumped. any second now HBAP will come along.;)

neiphin

when theres a lot of Negative FG threads the FG paid Hacks on this site try to bumb up FF thread to set up a smokescreen. so FG doesn't look so bad. thats why this thread got bumped. any second now HBAP will come along.;)
good job your here to save the day

Vote_No_on_Everything

Wanabee model who didn't have the looks to become one.