Mary Hanafin

manna

Mary seems to think that she is truly justified in holding onto "three pensions", whilst she denies pensioners a meager Christmas bonus. It's well for her to espouse stoicism to us poor mortals! No sign of her giving up any of her huge bonuses! Do as I say and not want I do would be a very apt adage for Mary to ponder!

Digout

IF she was my teacher in school I would have made her life a misery. In fact, she does remind me of a teacher I had, she once gave me 25 pages of lines ( the previous record was 10 pages, also held by me).

Sean-Bhean bhoct

Mary seems to think that she is truly justified in holding onto "three pensions", whilst she denies pensioners a meager Christmas bonus. It's well for her to espouse stoicism to us poor mortals! No sign of her giving up any of her huge bonuses! Do as I say and not want I do would be a very apt adage for Mary to ponder!
Did today's article in the IT not say that she was not still building up pension credits as a teacher?

asset test

I am being personal here, and I don't like it, but that woman drives me to it.

Every time she opens her mouth I feel like I am 10 years old again, and being given a good talking to and a slap for writing on the wooden desk. The memories.

Digout

I am being personal here, and I don't like it, but that woman drives me to it.

Every time she opens her mouth I feel like I am 10 years old again, and being given a good talking to and a slap for writing on the wooden desk. The memories.
I have to pay for that kind of feeling now...lol.

cavok

Website
www.politics.ie
She is part of the Gombeenarchy - Daughter of Des Hanafin

oh and btw you do realise that her mother sued you, dont you?

Hanafin's mum makes compo claim after she falls in Leinster House - National News, Frontpage - Herald.ie

Ms Hanafin's mother has settled a personal injuries claim against the State after the fall while on a visit to Government buildings in 2007.

Mona Hanafin brought the case in late 2007, naming the Taoiseach, Ireland and the Attorney General as defendants in her claim.

It was settled out of court for an undisclosed amount on January 22.
Real nice people there. Classy.

He3

Unfortunately our people are living longer, as she put it a few months ago. Freudian.

cavok

Website
www.politics.ie
Unfortunately our people are living longer, as she put it a few months ago. Freudian.
yes, how unfortunate that Mona lived so long that she could sue us.

Enough of her family leach off the State, I guess she saw no difference.

an asal

Mary puts on a great act, and that is lucky for her because when she looses her seat she can take up acting, she would be ideal to play Roland the RAT,the make up people would delighted as very little work would be required.

rebelexpat

Does anyone know if she draws a DES salary? Scandalous practice - absolutely no way any TD should have been allowed to get away with that over the years.

He3

He3

Call it giving us the (hana)finger.

draiocht23

Did today's article in the IT not say that she was not still building up pension credits as a teacher?
She was interviewed on Monday's Morning Ireland and said that she would only receive a teacher's pension for the years she had, er, been teaching.

If this is true, all well and good. However, I know that most other politicians, who are on secondment from their teaching posts - and a long secondment it is for most of them - continue to accrue their teacher's pension entitlements.

Examples in the current Dáil are Michael Martin, Noel Dempsey, Brendan Howlin...

C

caveman

Mary puts on a great act, and that is lucky for her because when she looses her seat she can take up acting, she would be ideal to play Roland the RAT,the make up people would delighted as very little work would be required.
She would make a great Tony Soprano too.

gatsbygirl20

QUOTE: "Every time she opens her mouth I feel like I am ten years old and being...given a slap for writing on the desk. The memories"

This poster has got close to the reason people seem to dislike teachers, holding them in almost irrational contempt, even if they have left the profession. The teacher lady type triggers a subconscious rage with its roots in childhood, and in childhood feelings of powerlessness.

I met Mary Hanafin once and was struck by her calm, quiet strength, sense of humour and aura of personal integrity---traits not usually associated with politicians. She seemed to have character and decency----old-fashioned, dull virtues, of course.

She has forgone, I think, teacher pension entitlements. Or something. The multiple pension situation should never have been allowed to develop but, such is the anger against this government now, that even if they agreed to forego their entire salary, it would not quell the anger out there. Micheal Martin has said he will not resign his teaching post, citing the precarious nature of a career in politics (he might have a point there, as the next election will demonstrate) and the fact that he has a young family to raise. He seems to have got away with it for the moment. (Handsome suave guy, Doesn't look like a teacher.)

Viva La Revolution!

I met Mary Hanafin once and was struck by her calm, quiet strength, sense of humour and aura of personal integrity---traits not usually associated with politicians. She seemed to have character and decency----old-fashioned, dull virtues, of course.
Howaya Mary.

Sean-Bhean bhoct

She was interviewed on Monday's Morning Ireland and said that she would only receive a teacher's pension for the years she had, er, been teaching.

If this is true, all well and good. However, I know that most other politicians, who are on secondment from their teaching posts - and a long secondment it is for most of them - continue to accrue their teacher's pension entitlements.

Examples in the current Dáil are Michael Martin, Noel Dempsey, Brendan Howlin...
But the article also says that M Martin is not building pension credits either.

"Both Mr Martin and Minister for Social and Family Affairs, Mary Hanafin said they are not still building pension credits as teachers – though other ex-teachers now serving as backbenchers continue to build up dual pension rights."

So where are you getting your facts from?

Personally I agree with what he says - he's still a young man and should not forego his job. But he should not be making a pension off it either.

Minister for Foreign Affairs will not give up teaching post - The Irish Times - Tue, Apr 28, 2009

New Threads

Most Replies