Mary Hanafin's Mother

Econdo

I understand that Minister's are permitted to invite "next of kin"
on official trips abroad.. This dates back a long time now and has been used by many Ministers over the years including FG and LAB Min's in their time... Even the President avails of this....

d7bohs

FWIW, I saw Mary Hanafin coming through arrivals at Dublin airport in the last month or so, off a scheduled flight, pulling her own suitcase, and going into the multistory, presumably to pick up her own car and drive herself - all this to the great amusement of the posse of limo drivers beside me waiting for their corporate clients.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
In general I'm against partners being brought on State visits (as it is unnecessary and furthermore uses state money to promote certain ways of living)

However...given that they do occur... I think this targeting of Mary/Mona Hanafin is low

"So immediately after the death of my husband, it was suggested to me that my mother might like to accompany me and did just on St Patrick's Day and on the state visit of the President.

"A couple of those were for long visits because they were to New Zealand with the President. Because of that, there were costs which amounted to about €20,000 but obviously as time has passed . . . I don't bring her with me as an accompanying person."

collina

Pathetic childish thread. There's loads we can do Hanafin&Co for without this ************************e. One of the posts on a personal injury claim by her ma is positively libelous.

Cassandra Syndrome

Targeting a widow over €20,000 is gutter journalism. How about unravelling the various banking anomolies over the past 10 years, or is that just to much like hard grafted research?

Mar Tweedy

Lower than Hanafins targeting of the Irish taxpayer following her 'fall' in Leinster House?

Hanafin's mum makes compo claim after she falls in Leinster House - National News, Frontpage - Herald.ie
Clearly, yes. Much, much lower.

You have no idea whether Mrs Hanafin's claim was legitimate or not and are basing your criticism on your assumption that she did not have reason, for which you have no evidence. Perhaps there was gross negligence and why should she have to pay medical bills and suffer pain as a result of someone else's negligence.

Mary Hanafin brought her mum with her on trips while she was bereaved.

It is very low to be using that against her.

same as our media. focus on this kind of rubbish, when really we should focus on decisions she has taken as Minister.

consultant

In general I'm against partners being brought on State visits (as it is unnecessary and furthermore uses state money to promote certain ways of living)

However...given that they do occur... I think this targeting of Mary/Mona Hanafin is low
I agree with partners not being brought on State business/visits at taxpayers' expense.

I can also understand your sentiment regarding Mona Hanafin. However, I didn't read any targeting of her per se in the OP.

Does Hanafin now travel accompanied? (I'm not looking for details, just the generality.)

eatmyposts

Pathetic childish thread. There's loads we can do Hanafin&Co for without this ************************e. One of the posts on a personal injury claim by her ma is positively libelous.
there is nothing libellous about stating fact.

mother hanafin had a 'fall' in Leinster House

She sued me and all other Irish taxpayers

She received financial compensation

no libel there.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
The compo claim (about which nobody seems to know anything) has no connection with this non-issue (irrespective of whether you agree with cYb on the appropriateness of bringing along spouses on state visits -- for what it's worth, I would sometimes be in favour of it and sometimes against; it depends on whether the spouse's presence is likely to make a contribution to the visit or not.)

consultant

The compo claim (about which nobody seems to know anything) has no connection with this non-issue (irrespective of whether you agree with cYb on the appropriateness of bringing along spouses on state visits -- for what it's worth, I would sometimes be in favour of it and sometimes against; it depends on whether the spouse's presence is likely to make a contribution to the visit or not.)
Given the calibre of most of our ministers, perhaps there is a case for sending the partners and leaving the ministers at home!!

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
I don't know why so many of the posters are getting exercised over this targetting of Mary Hanafin's mother.

Where do ye think the story is coming from ?

This story is coming directly from people within FF who are jockeying for position in any new leadership battle

gijoe

In fairness I think it is fair game in the context of her suing the State for a 'fall' in Leinster House while accepting the hospitality of the State with foreign travel. Thats gratitude for you, and I think she is fair game in pointing out that hypocrisy.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies