• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Mary Harney...Are you looking???

controller

From todays Irish Times(25th Sept 2010)

Madam, – On our recent holiday to your country, my wife had to visit Accident Emergency at Cork University Hospital. The clinical and nursing care was first class but the treatment of patients was distinctly third world.

My wife spent three days and two nights in the corridors of A E. The latter were spent on a trolley. She was not the only one and those being treated thus ranged from the very young to the very old. It was clear that this treatment of patients was routine and is absolutely shameful.

Or is this a matter for the HSE?

The Irish Times - Letters

LeDroit

Madam, – On our recent holiday to your country, my wife had to visit Accident Emergency at Cork University Hospital. The clinical and nursing care was first class but the treatment of patients was distinctly third world.

My wife spent three days and two nights in the corridors of A E. The latter were spent on a trolley. She was not the only one and those being treated thus ranged from the very young to the very old. It was clear that this treatment of patients was routine and is absolutely shameful.

Why should they change or improve? They have no competition and get paid whether they offer a good or bad service. There's simply no need to do anything more or different from their point of view. We spend 25% of ALL govt expenditure on Health. It's an unresponsive, unaccountable money pit.

goosebump

Good job she didn't have to go to A&E when she was back in the UK.

Man who died on trolley 'victim of NHS budget cuts' - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

sondagefaux

Third World?

A picture of a hospital ward in Uganda:

A picture of a hospital ward in Ireland:

A birthing suite at Cork University Hospital:

drjimryan2

this is a non story......

decisions were made........

why no travel insurance?....

what about the beacon or hermitage a+e?........

the problem is clear.....people with insurance should not be in public a+e wards....no excuse.....

OCicero

Why should they change or improve? They have no competition...
Of course competition exists. But the competition, the private A&E's, close around 10PM and only deal with minor injuries and illnesses. In the "competitive" battle for market share, the public A&Es seem to be where the customer base want to go. Their competitive edge might be their wider menu of service offerings (i.e. injuries and illnesses greater than minor), and service availability (round-the-clock opening hours).

LeDroit

Of course competition exists. But the competition, the private A&E's, close around 10PM and only deal with minor injuries and illnesses. In the "competitive" battle for market share, the public A&Es seem to be where the customer base want to go. Their competitive edge might be their wider menu of service offerings (i.e. injuries and illnesses greater than minor), and service availability (round-the-clock opening hours).
There's no comparable competition as you say. The State supported hospitals are so heavily funded it means nobody can compete. All hospitals should be sold off. Then Vincents, the Mater and James' can compete with each other. Best service will attract the patients. No patient, no fee. That's competition. That'll improve the service.

RainyDay

Best service will attract the patients. No patient, no fee. That's competition.
How do propose to measure 'best service'? How do propose to empower patients to make the decision to choose between competing providers?

OCicero

The State supported hospitals are so heavily funded it means nobody can compete.
The private A&Es can compete with flexibility and service and efficiency. If there's solid money to be made investment will pour into the private A&Es.

But they need to be flexible (24 hours) and offer the range of services that their customers may want (e.g. patching you up after being hit by a bus).

kerdasi amaq

Health care is a basic public service, it should not be run on a for profit basis.

Anyway, how do you know that the Minister of Health was not appointed with a secret task to sabotage the Irish Health system?

FakeViking

Health care is a basic public service, it should not be run on a for profit basis.

Anyway, how do you know that the Minister of Health was not appointed with a secret task to sabotage the Irish Health system?
What's secret about it?

LeDroit

How do propose to measure 'best service'? How do propose to empower patients to make the decision to choose between competing providers?
LOL!

I don't. The people will. It's called the market. Your ideology is blinding you.

LeDroit

Don't delude yourself, it's run for profit now. The workers get the profit. But they're not accountable to the users of the service.

Because I'm not a conspiracy theorist and if she had been given that role she has failed spectacularly. She could have privatised the lot Day 1.

FakeViking

She could have privatised the lot Day 1.
Do you think the gombeens in FF would have stood for that? She needed to do it gradually, allowing the privateers their scams like the NTPF to build up their for-profit facilities while closing down the public service by neglect, and appointing managers like Drumm who knew nothing about management.

LeDroit

Are you sure yours isn't blinding you?
Look, I would love if the fluffy ideology delivered the service we all want and our parents and kids deserve. The fact is when you spend 25% of all expenditure in health and it still doesn't work, it means the system is wrong. I want what works, whether that's public, private or a mix. The end justifies the means.

LeDroit

Do you think the gombeens in FF would have stood for that? She needed to do it gradually, allowing the privateers their scams like the NTPF to build up their for-profit facilities while closing down the public service by neglect, and appointing managers like Drumm who knew nothing about management.
So FF are the defenders of a Health system that has failed. When you're spending a quarter of all expenditure on a system and it still won't work you have an obligation to change the system. Insanity is repeating the same behaviour and expecting different results.

kerdasi amaq

What's secret about it?
It hasn't been officially announced. Yesterday she warbling on about providing the best service possible.

She has never said openly that she wants to wreck the public health service, even though, it seems that way.

FakeViking

So FF are the defenders of a Health system that has failed. When you're spending a quarter of all expenditure on a system and it still won't work you have an obligation to change the system. Insanity is repeating the same behaviour and expecting different results.
Oh, I fully agree. The way she left the budget balloon without expecting any results has been appalling. But introducing for-profit psuedo competition, with the likes of the Beacon creaming off their preferred customers (self secleting) and leave the rest to rot in the mismanaged public system is not a solution.