Mary Lou for Taoiseach! Has SF's Gilmore Moment arrived?

automaticforthepeople

It was all going so well for Labour 8 years ago. An incompetent government, a broken economy and down trodden people. Labour had passed FG out in the opinion polls and then someone came up with the idea of Gilmore for Taoiseach.

After that it was a case of endless promises with no commitment as to how they could be funded. When the election actually came they were dropping in the polls so again they over promised. This turned around the popular vote and won more seats for TD's that in the end were moaning about the impact of the programme for government that they agreed with an FG which had by now more than twice the number of TD's that Labour had.

So as SF set off down the same path with their Mary Lou for Taoiseach campaign, why now, when the economy is significantly better than in 2010 chiefly because of the government that Labour were part of staying in power and dealing with FF's disastrous policies, could the outcome for SF be different to what happened to Labour?

Is housing really that important to the electorate?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/it-is-time-for-a-woman-taoiseach-sinn-fin-ard-fheis-hears-party-is-ready-for-an-election-37015648.html

PBP voter

Sh1t the bed SF won't run enough candidates.

Close thread.

midlander12

It was all going so well for Labour 8 years ago. An incompetent government, a broken economy and down trodden people. Labour had passed FG out in the opinion polls and then someone came up with the idea of Gilmore for Taoiseach.

After that it was a case of endless promises with no commitment as to how they could be funded. When the election actually came they were dropping in the polls so again they over promised. This turned around the popular vote and won more seats for TD's that in the end were moaning about the impact of the programme for government that they agreed with an FG which had by now more than twice the number of TD's that Labour had.

So as SF set off down the same path with their Mary Lou for Taoiseach campaign, why now, when the economy is significantly better than in 2010 chiefly because of the government that Labour were part of staying in power and dealing with FF's disastrous policies, could the outcome for SF be different to what happened to Labour?

Is housing really that important to the electorate?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/it-is-time-for-a-woman-taoiseach-sinn-fin-ard-fheis-hears-party-is-ready-for-an-election-37015648.html
Good to know that SF have not lost their (unintentional) amusement value since the Dear Leader's departure. Having achieved 13% and 19% highs in previous national polls (GE and Euros respectively) and rarely pushed above 20% in the opinion polls, sure isn't it obvious their new leader should be Taoiseach? All they've to do is add another 10-15% and oh, 25-30 seats, and she may be in with a shot.

And free universal healthcare and the abolition of third level fees - novel ideas indeed, sure to be embraced warmly by a workforce already paying an effective tax rate of over 50%. Good to see Pearse out again though - haven't heard him on the box in aeons for some reason.

Hibee

To be honest SF are becoming almost hubristic .

I am however still unsure the want power . The MO over the last 10 years has been to attack . Power will mean explaining and saying no which will not rest well with their core support . That said the middle classes need not fear them at all . They are a party of capital .

asset test

SF in my view are just pulling for power now. Well good luck to them.

Amazing how things can change when power is in sight. I suppose it is not unheard of either.

Same goes for those who will accept SF in coalition too let it be said.

FF is toast.

Tawdy

To be honest SF are becoming almost hubristic .

I am however still unsure the want power . The MO over the last 10 years has been to attack . Power will mean explaining and saying no which will not rest well with their core support . That said the middle classes need not fear them at all . They are a party of capital .

All that you have written in this post is questionable, BUT ! I have highlighted the only realistic quote from you. You have hit the nail directly on the head.

Hibee

SF in my view are just pulling for power now. Well good luck to them.

Amazing how things can change when power is in sight. I suppose it is not unheard of either.

Same goes for those who will accept SF in coalition too let it be said.

FF is toast.
SF going in to government with FG will rescue Labour and FF .

Mark my words . To be honest it makes no difference as FF, FG , Lab and SF are really all the same when all’s said and done .

michael-mcivor

Time will tell if Mary-Lou will be Taoiseach or not - the next position or not- a minister or not- the last deputy leader in the dail fell down after a Sinn Fein motion- if Sinn Fein can pull another card like that out of their sleeve to get an early General election then it will be a hard one to call-

midlander12

Time will tell if Mary-Lou will be Taoiseach or not - the next position or not- a minister or not- the last deputy leader in the dail fell down after a Sinn Fein motion- if Sinn Fein can pull another card like that out of their sleeve to get an early General election then it will be a hard one to call-
Who would want an early election? - and in the middle of July? Even Mary Lou will struggle to explain that away.

neiphin

Who would want an early election? - and in the middle of July? Even Mary Lou will struggle to explain that away.
i do
but then again i would like one every month (i know its not practicable)

Mickeymac

Nail on head Michael, SF has always been in for the long game, will enter coalition, I suspect, if conditions are right, if not, we will persevere until such times we are top of the pops with Mary Lou as Taoiseach and SF as top party.

automaticforthepeople

Nail on head Michael, SF has always been in for the long game, will enter coalition, I suspect, if conditions are right, if not, we will persevere until such times we are top of the pops with Mary Lou as Taoiseach and SF as top party.
so Mary Lou will be Taoiseach in 30 year's plus is the best SF can offer? Great! I'll take the bus pass down to the polling station on the glorious day, that's of course if SF don't propose to abolish the bus pass for anyone earning more than the average industrial wage.

Last edited:

storybud1

SF's realistic economic policies are on the back of a matchbox,
Mary Lou is a bird brain ,
Grass Root FF and FG would do anything to stop them, if that means getting rid of the pretenders running both parties then that is what will happen.

hiding behind a poster

I remember canvassing in 2011, and that great rarity of a self-confessed FF voter very succinctly explained to me what was wrong with Labour's "Gilmore for Taoiseach" pitch. The guy freely admitted that he normally voted FF but probably wouldn't on that occasion, and what he said was along the lines of "You guys have a plan, and you're saying to people, here's what we'll do for you - whereas Labour are saying here's what we want you to do for us". Summed it up very well.

Mickeymac

so Mary Lou will be Taoiseach in 30 year's plus is the best SF can offer? Great! I'll take the bus pass down to the polling station on the glorious day, that's of course if SF don't propose to abolish for anyone earning more than the average industrial wage.

You pal have a history here of posting lies, untruth, fake news and supposition and never seem to learn from your bad habits.

1..............who said MLMcD would be Taoiseach in 30 years?

2..............who mentioned anything re wages?

Yes AH, you did. now SHOOOOO off and troll elsewhere with your lies, innuendo and denigration of people or groups without one shred of evidence, folk here where I live have lost everything for less for such defamation.

Mickeymac

SF's realistic economic policies are on the back of a matchbox,
Mary Lou is a bird brain ,
Grass Root FF and FG would do anything to stop them, if that means getting rid of the pretenders running both parties then that is what will happen.

You sound the type, not uncommon, btw, as someone running around with their head up their ass.

FOURGREENFIELDS

Sinn Fein would need to be very careful about entering any coalition government with FG or FF. The junior partners in coalition governments generally cop the fall out of the public's displeasure when things go wrong; the Irish Labour party and British Liberal Democrats are just two examples. When it comes to general elections Southern society can still be quite insular, lemming like and 'loyal' to 'their' Civil War parties so I wouldn't write the obituary for FF at this time. Furthermore SF shouldn't take their Northern core for granted either, there is still real dislike, indeed downright hatred for FG and FF in the Northern Nationalist community.

hiding behind a poster

Sinn Fein would need to be very careful about entering any coalition government with FG or FF. The junior partners in coalition governments generally cop the fall out of the public's displeasure when things go wrong; the Irish Labour party and British Liberal Democrats are just two examples. When it comes to general elections Southern society can still be quite insular, lemming like and 'loyal' to 'their' Civil War parties so I wouldn't write the obituary for FF at this time. Furthermore SF shouldn't take their Northern core for granted either, there is still real dislike, indeed downright hatred for FG and FF in the Northern Nationalist community.
And how many parties does the average Northern Ireland voter consider voting for? I think you should contemplate that before accusing the voters anywhere else of being insular, lemming like and 'loyal'. The other problem with your argument is that in the Republic elections are about who the people want in government, rather than a tribal identity count - if you keep telling the voters that you'll only go into government if a set of circumstances which those voters see as being beyond unlikely come to pass, then you become irrelevant beyond your protest core.

FOURGREENFIELDS

Oh I have no problem in admitting that sectarianism STILL largely rules the roost in Northern elections, particularly within Unionism, and wouldn't for one minute deny that. However to say that tribal identity DOESN'T come into play in Southern elections is just nonsense. FF and FG are two tribal Civil War political parties and many people vote for them simply because 'that's what the family does and has done for generations'. I am not telling SF stay out of 26 county government forever but they couldn't go into government in the South if there is no Northern political institution up and running. SF will want to chose their time and maximise their power and influence and that means holding office North and South at the same time.

automaticforthepeople

You pal have a history here of posting lies, untruth, fake news and supposition and never seem to learn from your bad habits.

1..............who said MLMcD would be Taoiseach in 30 years?

2..............who mentioned anything re wages?

Yes AH, you did. now SHOOOOO off and troll elsewhere with your lies, innuendo and denigration of people or groups without one shred of evidence, folk here where I live have lost everything for less for such defamation.
Live in the real world then! The graveyard is full of people who lost more than money when they came in contact with the last guy who ran the republican movement and who spoke for 30 years about a long war.
Defamation? Bring it on! Some in SF still don't get it that they have no reputation to lose! and on the average industrial wage they pay for professional and industrial trolling, your pockets may not be as deep as Mary Lou economics programs you to think.

See you in the Four Courts so!

New Threads

Most Replies