Mary Lou McDonald - Vincent Browne

Victor Meldrew

Her political talent is losing votes. People gave her a chance in 2004. And didn't like what they saw. She's toxic.
Bit harsh*, there are a lot of journey-men/women out there. Our elections are, by and large, a popularity / charisma competition. Which is not the best criteria for selecting anyone to run the country. Sure, a bit is needed, but you can end up with CJH and Bertie when you let that sort of thing run amok.

mickdotcom

Great to see her getting exposure. She performed well on VB, puttlign him straight on a number of points. A wealth tax is a very good ideas. Perhaps the reason why some women do not like her is simple jealousy - without being partisan she is undoubtedly the new political talent of her generation to have emerged in recent years and is already Vice President of Sinn Féin (having held previously the post of National Chair).
You have to be having a laugh because otherwise you would be in tears;

Mary who failed to live up to her self built reputation.

VB cut her to shreds last night- in that bunker in SF party HQ there must be a lot

of worried people.

An interesting point was raised in that a lot of people dont actually like her- I

dread her and dont actually know why I dread her so much.

Surely even SF realise she is a liability.

Yosser

Great to see her getting exposure. She performed well on VB, puttlign him straight on a number of points. A wealth tax is a very good ideas. Perhaps the reason why some women do not like her is simple jealousy - without being partisan she is undoubtedly the new political talent of her generation to have emerged in recent years and is already Vice President of Sinn Féin (having held previously the post of National Chair).
Are you involved in politics? Because if that is what you saw last night then you are deluding yourself and you need to get real. She was awful and she does not endear herself to the public for whatever reason. If you can't see that and if SF can't see that then I would seriously question your judgement. She has no chance of getting elected again the next time.To me she comes acrosss as a bluffer and not very authentic. Now of course she isn't alone in that resepect amongst politcians but to be honest I find her irritating.

Flynnster

I laughed when I saw somebody suggest herself & Dan Boyle should get married. They would make the perfect couple.

Two people with no mandate from the people, speaking about things which its patently obvious they know very little about and thinking in their own delusion that they are not only right but also popular and speaking for ordinary people.

Two less likeable people are hard to find in politics currently

Dunlin3

Why is there so much dislike for Mary Lou .She is not the one who broke the Country
Of couse not. However she is a waffler and most people with anything between their ears have no time for wafflers. VB toyed with her last night and made her look stupid. That's not VB's fault, that was her fault.

1888bhoys

Twitter
thesuir
Of couse not. However she is a waffler and most people with anything between their ears have no time for wafflers. VB toyed with her last night and made her look stupid. That's not VB's fault, that was her fault.
Show me a member from any other Party that doesnt waffler.Labour are full of wafflers but they dont get it in the neck like Mary Lou.

politico24

She was awful. I watched it and she was dreadful. She mentioned somethign about this being a wealthy country and the need to introduce a wealth tax.

Eh, Mary Lou, in case you hadn't noticed the banks own pretty much everythign in this country so those nice houses and cars you see everywhere are probably owned by the banks (de facto already in state hands!). Do you want to tax the banks??

She hadn't a breeze what she was talking about and Browne pressed her to reveal the source of he claim that it was a wealthy country and what follwoed was about 4 minutes of cringe worthy 'I can't remember my source, I will dig it out for you after the show Vincent'. Good grief.

bersouth

She was awful. I watched it and she was dreadful. She mentioned somethign about this being a wealthy country and the need to introduce a wealth tax.

Eh, Mary Lou, in case you hadn't noticed the banks own pretty much everythign in this country so those nice houses and cars you see everywhere are probably owned by the banks (de facto already in state hands!). Do you want to tax the banks??

She hadn't a breeze what she was talking about and Browne pressed her to reveal the source of he claim that it was a wealthy country and what follwoed was about 4 minutes of cringe worthy 'I can't remember my source, I will dig it out for you after the show Vincent'. Good grief.
Mary Lou is a liability and if SF want to get any where she should be put in cold storage for a long time, she lacks charisma and substance.

Aristodemus

She's very easy on the eye. If she knocked on my door looking for a vote I'd be tempted to give her one.

CookieMonster

MaryLou:'We should have a wealth tax because there is still enormous wealth in this country'
VB: 'Really? Where? Who has it?'
ML: 'Numerous studies have shown that. . .'
VB: 'Which studies?'
ML: 'Various studies'
VB: 'Ok, which studies?'
ML: 'I'm not going into that now'
VB: 'Because you don't know'
ML: 'I do know'
VB: 'Great. Which studies then?'

. . . and on and on.

Oh Dear. I almost felt sorry for her.

She shouldn't have made that point if she couldn't even quote one study to back it up. But Browne was just annoying. Paxman he is not.

adamirer

I laughed when I saw somebody suggest herself & Dan Boyle should get married. They would make the perfect couple.

Two people with no mandate from the people, speaking about things which its patently obvious they know very little about and thinking in their own delusion that they are not only right but also popular and speaking for ordinary people.

Two less likeable people are hard to find in politics currently
Dan's likeable enough - he's just dealing the hand he was dealt. My beef with MLM isn't her persay, its more the messanic praise and 'great hope' rubbish that got piled on her and which she used from the 2004 election and the arrogent presumption, more from her supporters, that she was a game changer and would walk into the Dail.

What happened was she wasn't that great...
Took the best placed SF target seat from the two long standing SF's Kehoe and Burke... parachuted right over them to be coroneted...
but haemorrhaged 40% of the SF vote...
Then ran for Europe (again) rather than run in the by-election in that same constituency, showing a lack of commitment to the area...
and lost... losing 20% of the vote she had in 2004 (Joe Higgins ran both times, so its no excuse)

Sometimes politicians get dogs abuse for existing and sometimes thats not the candidates fault.

McDonald, Creighton and Vaaradkar get a lot of abuse which I don't feel they personally deserve... something about being the shiney new thing maybe, attracting pot shots from others - but no politician has been put on a pedestal by their party followers quite like McDonald.

The fact is she was put on that pedestal and didn't have the goods to stay there.

Oldira1

Was Mary Lou any worse than Roisin Shorthall last week or even Joe Costello last night? That being said she handled VBs question on the wealth tax badly. Brown is consistently pedalling the wealth line but Mary Lou was unable to cite his figures so he was peed off.
The problem with SF is that they have to recognise that even if we increase taxes and even if we get significant growth in the economy therby leading to increased tax revenue with tax increases, there has to be a cutting of public expenditure. I have advocated us supporting more public sector wage cuts (for those earning over (40K) and cutting the old age pensions. Neither pensioners or the public sector vote for us so we have nothing to lose. Unfortunately we are still engaging in voodoo economics but I am expecting that to change in the Autumn.

Dunlin3

Show me a member from any other Party that doesnt waffler.Labour are full of wafflers but they dont get it in the neck like Mary Lou.
Of course they all waffle, Labour are experts at it. There's an aspect in Mary Lou's personality that people dislike, it's hard to put a finger on it. I have no time for her myself!

disgruntledcitizen

Didn't see it. For some strange reason alot of middle aged women I know can't stand her. She irritates them. Don't ever hear the same repulsion towards her from men.
very true, my wife (whom is most certainly not middle aged) cannot stand her, MLM actually makes her angry, anything she is on has to be turned off immediately....

my wife is not alone, several other female friends / family feel pretty much the same about her, its not a gender issue per say as they would jump down my neck if i made a disparaging comment about any other female politician, but MLM they actually seem to hate.....

personally i find her no more offensive / obnoxious than any other shinner

LeDroit

I have advocated us supporting more public sector wage cuts (for those earning over (40K) and cutting the old age pensions. Neither pensioners or the public sector vote for us so we have nothing to lose.
You better not cut longterm unemployment rates so. You wouldn't want to upset your base.

goosebump

In fairness to MLD, she was the star performer on the No side during the Lisbon referenda.

Her problem is that she is attached to a party that hasn't a shred of credibility when it comes to economics, so when economics is the issue of the day, she's never going to come across well.

SF's idea was that she would be palatable to middle-class voters, but a left wing loon is still a left wing loon, even when you apply a bit of fake tan and a bit of bling.

If MLD were a FF or FG candidate, she probably would have sailed into the Dail.

goosebump

She's very easy on the eye. If she knocked on my door looking for a vote I'd be tempted to give her one.
I know its a bit early in the morning, but wasn't there a story that in 2004, a ballot paper appeared at the DC count which was inscribed with "Suck my C***" beside MLD's name, and that the local SF electoral agent tried to argue with the Returning Officer that this was an expression of a preference and should be counted as a valid vote?

No personal offence to MLD intended.

LeDroit

I know its a bit early in the morning, but wasn't there a story that in 2004, a ballot paper appeared at the DC count which was inscribed with "Suck my C***" beside MLD's name, and that the local SF electoral agent tried to argue with the Returning Officer that this was an expression of a preference and should be counted as a valid vote?

No personal offence to MLD intended.
Ah, the hanging chad.

FreshStart

Mary Lou didn't do herself any favours. She quoted directly from Vincent's recent SBP article about wealth in the country and mooted something vague about a Wealth Tax. He quizzed about where she was deriving her facts from. She didn't know. He finally gave her a break and explained it was from the CSO. It's obvious no politician read the CSO stats. That's ridiculous.

They now want 50% of all college places to go to foreign students. May I suggest that our current representatives reserve some places for themselves. Paid for by themselves with no tax breaks. They haven't a clue what they're doing. They're living in La La Land. None of these people have what it takes to get us out of this mess. The Labour guy looked like he was falling asleep.

Vincent Browne has access to some of the best researchers to get his facts straight.

Can we have people like Richard Boyd Barrett on the show. His colleague in Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown CC tried to lower expenses for councillors attending conferences and they were shot down. Of course, I'm not stupid you wouldn't expect turkeys to vote for Christmas.

I'd like to see some good thinkers on the show with clear ideas on what to do. David McWilliams, Fintan O'Toole, Shane Ross, Kieran Allen. Let's start listening to those who can research things, can ask questions, can mull over solutions.

New Threads

Top Bottom