Mary Lou moves towards coalition with FG or FF

Sync

As explicit a statement as you can get, MLD makes a conscious and open move from SF’s previous position of only being open to coalition if they were the biggest party to being open to either FF or FG.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/mary-lou-mcdonald-seeks-coalition-deal-with-fg-or-ff-1.3519441?mode=amp

. The Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald has said she wants to form a coalition government after the next election with either Fine Gael or Fianna Fáil.

“I want to lead the party into government. I want to do that from the strongest possible position. I want us to discuss, debate, agree with others a programme for government,” Ms McDonald told The Irish Times in an interview.

She said that she expected to talk to both Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael about forming a government after the next election, although both parties have repeatedly ruled out any coalition deal with Sinn Féin.

In the plainest statement yet of her party’s impatience for power in Dublin, Ms McDonald said she had no preference between the two rivals, and rejected suggestions that she had been “flirting” with Fine Gael in recent weeks. She also rejected suggestions that Sinn Féin was closer “culturally” to Fianna Fáil.
Most of the previous objections to coalition by FF and FG were based on the terror links of the SF leadership. With Mary Lou there, those are gone.

Hard to see MLD not being the next Taniaste when we eventually have an election.

jackryan

If this interview is true! I think it is one of the worst in recent political history! She should have kept her powder dry and kept going at sf being the largest party!

SuirView

As explicit a statement as you can get, MLD makes a conscious and open move from SF’s previous position of only being open to coalition if they were the biggest party to being open to either FF or FG.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/mary-lou-mcdonald-seeks-coalition-deal-with-fg-or-ff-1.3519441?mode=amp

Most of the previous objections to coalition by FF and FG were based on the terror links of the SF leadership. With Mary Lou there, those are gone.

Hard to see MLD not being the next Taniaste when we eventually have an election.
Nope,
"Most of the previous objections to coalition" were from poor Gerry Adams!
Adams only wanted poor SF in government in the 26 if they were the leading party!
Was Adams a dictator?
If not, why did they change after his removal?

SuirView

If this interview is true! I think it is one of the worst in recent political history! She should have kept her powder dry and kept going at sf being the largest party!
Why?

D

Deleted member 48908

Seems a bit premature, for Irish politics, to be honest. A rather grown up approach to an election cycle. Possibly yet another nail in Labour's coffin as Sinn Féin usurp them from their seat as perennial parliamentary bridesmaids.

It'll be interesting to see how this will play with the faithful.

SuirView

Seems a bit premature, for Irish politics, to be honest. A rather grown up approach to an election cycle. Possibly yet another nail in Labour's coffin as Sinn Féin usurp them from their seat as perennial parliamentary bridesmaids.

It'll be interesting to see how this will play with the faithful.
Agreed

GDPR

Seems sensible and realistic to me. SF needs the experience of governing and to get the electorate's trust, so being a junior in a coalition is the way to go.

Also SF will have influence on getting the senior party involved more intensely with reunification.

bmw1

i think she more interested in pushing fine gael and fina flaw together and hand her the opposition benches

yobosayo

And here I was thinking that it is about time that FF and FG bury the hatchet re the treaty/civil war difference, since from a US perspective, FF and FG show rather more of an intra-party ideological difference than an inter-party ideological difference. Of course, they may be smarter than me, and so they keep the treaty/civil war tradition of rivalry brewing, and for purpose of destroying every lefty party that is stupid enough to go into government as minority partner with either of them (see Labour). Works out well in another respect as well, since neither FF nor FG is an extreme rightist party and so if the two of them can maintain the center right as the majority party, the politics and consequent policy can never move too far to the left.

ant

And here I was thinking that it is about time that FF and FG bury the hatchet re the treaty/civil war difference, since from a US perspective, FF and FG show rather more of an intra-party ideological difference than an inter-party ideological difference. Of course, they may be smarter than me, and so they keep the treaty/civil war tradition of rivalry brewing, and for purpose of destroying every lefty party that is stupid enough to go into government as minority partner with either of them (see Labour). Works out well in another respect as well, since neither FF nor FG is an extreme rightist party and so if the two of them can maintain the center right as the majority party, the politics and consequent policy can never move too far to the left.
Without a correction?

Niall996

i think she more interested in pushing fine gael and fina flaw together and hand her the opposition benches
I wouldn’t agree on that. They’ve been in opposition forever. They are dying to get into the game. ML is without doubt keen to be in power on both sides of the border. Which in itself will be a remarkable thing with it’s own set of unknown outcomes. The problem for FG and FF is if they ever do go intogether it removes the purpose of their existence which is to counter each other and opens up Ireland to a serious left wing entity. So there are advantages for them in keeping SF under wing as opposed to on the opposition bench. The goods news is the fun in watching RDE and EH having their weekly meltdown in the Sindo.

Massey

SF looking for acceptance by one of the major parties before the next election to show they are not toxic.

But FF would be foolish to endorse SF prior to the election- they might be competing for the same voters.

derryman

It certainly presents a conundrum for Leo and Michael. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Zapslaststand

Twitter
@daxxdrake
Mary Lou must have been listening to this recently! :rolleyes:

[video=youtube;VfNMhu9wdl0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfNMhu9wdl0[/video]

GDPR

Whether FF or FG like it or not, SF as a coalition partner option, is what the next GE election is going to throw up. It is no coincidence that with Gerry gone, ML puts SF forward as being willing. The SF RA accusations hold less and less credence, and certainly among anyone under 35, next to none. So either one of them makes a deal after the results are in, or they make a deal between themselves. Either way a win for SF, and puts the ball back in FF's and FG's court.

Notachipanoaktree

Nope,
"Most of the previous objections to coalition" were from poor Gerry Adams!
Adams only wanted poor SF in government in the 26 if they were the leading party!
Was Adams a dictator?
If not, why did they change after his removal?
Gimmie the money. Sinn Labour Nua, that's SF

Zero hour contracts. Cheap Labour imports. More Tax for Minimum wage. Less tax for 60K + . 0.1% Tax for Multinationals. Tax Breaks for Landlords. Tax Breaks for bankers bonuses. Mortgages to die for. Upward only rent reviews. House Tax. Bin Tax. Water Tax. Money for P&CS and County Councils to burn after skimming off the top and paying the Party dues.

So FF and FG. Who needs another snout at the trough (SF, LAB, PBP etc).

If you want to let them know your disgust, Don't listen to the BS. Spoil your vote, 'cos you want to.

Frankforts way.

Last edited:

yobosayo

Without a correction?
Excuse me, clarification. FF and FG are center right parties, no real danger of some rightist extremism. They could partner together, but then that would open the door to a more true left v. right politics. Instead of that, they could each keep their rivalry, stay ahead of Sinn Fein in the vote, and then whichever of FF or FG tops the poll, they have Sinn Fein as minority partner and so the policy never moves too far to the left.

automaticforthepeople

Why would Fianna Fail and Fine Gael coalesce? That will end for ever SF's chances of ever getting into office. Lets get real on this. FF in their worst election in 2011 still got more first preference votes than SF on their best day since the split over 90 years ago.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies